Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General credit card advice.

Options
  • 26-04-2008 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,just looking for some straight forward advice about credit cards.

I just cleared a large amount of debt with a credit card ,so I could start a fresh with another company.
    The thing is ,I'm now not sure whether to hold onto my existing card along with my new one. Just in case I ever need a backup card.

Do people generally feel safe enough holding onto a dormant card ,or is it better just to have one live one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Under what conditions do you think you'd need a backup one?

If it's just in case you max the other one out - forget it! Credit Cards are payment tools and short-term (1-2 months) cash flow helpers, not a borrowing tool.

If it's case that you want to keep a second one in case the first gets stolen lost, then that's up to yourself. But it only takes a few days to replace a lost/stolen card and would have to pay €30 stamp duty every year just for this comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

A while ago I would have said to get rid of the unused one and just keep one. However I was recently abroad and needed to pay excess luggage charges with credit card. For some reason my main one was declined (despite being nowhere near the limit), but my old card which I very rarely used worked. Thats likely to be a rare incident though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks for the replies ,I'd presumed for some reason everybody had more than one credit card.

Do banks care if you have two cards ? ,or are they only interested in non payments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 centrino

Just on that Government tax, I had the tax hit on 2nd of April and now decided to cancel today and found out that because im into another year I had to pay another 30 Euros, so in fact I payed 60 Euros this year for that card.. what a rip off.

Advertisement