Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 year old in america.. money

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I am going to america for a month on my own and am 16. so I think i need a credit card. is there a anyway of getting one linked to my current account but also my dads? cause i know i have to be 18 for credit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Credit can only be given to those over 18. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 dhblewis

yes i know! thats what i stated. but can i not link it to two accounts? mine and my dads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

youd be able to get a credit card from your dads account... get a second card sort of thing... you wont be able to get one from your account.

What exactly do you mean by two accounts?

As for being an additional card hold on your dads account, thats different. Its possible, but of course your dad would have to sign you up. Also, its impossible to impose a limit on the 2nd card that he gets you. So if your dad's limit is 20k, then so is yours....

So, can you be trusted not to run up a massive bill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes, it is very easy to do. Your dad just needs to request an additional card in your name. However, as already said, the 1 limit will be applied to the account, so there is strong potential for you to run up a massive bill (or if it got stolen etc).

Depending on your father's financial status, the bank may reduce the overall limit. This is because, if it is a responsible lender, the limit should be derived from both the cardholders spending patterns and ability to repay. Although they know your father's ability to repay, they have no idea of your spending patterns, and no offence, but a 16 year old in the states on their own could get very frisky with their wallet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can you get a laser card under 18..Im 16

callaway92 wrote: »
    Can you get a laser card under 18..Im 16

Nope,

Under 18's can not get credit on there own, cause they have not reached a contractable age.

I no UB/BOI/AIB insist that your at least earning an income. But student accounts can get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Nope,

Under 18's can not get credit on there own, cause they have not reached a contractable age.

I no UB/BOI/AIB insist that your at least earning an income. But student accounts can get them.

Unless you have an ordinary current account / 3rd level account and mandated wages you won't get a laser card (with BOI at least). I'm looking forward to the day when BOI laser cards are online like AIB. Less fraud less bullcrap about giving cards out and not giving to others yada yada yada.

I am goging to america on my own for a month and need to pay for stuff over there. I'm getting a credit card from my dad but want my own way of paying for everything.

so am thinking debit card. will a maestro work. i.e from postbank.ie or would i be able to get a halifax visa debit..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This doesn't need a second thread. Merged.

btw, I think you got the answers you were seeking in the original thread - it's unlikely that any of the main banks will be handing out debit cards to someone of your age.

• Advertisement

Well will a maestro work everywhere in America.Because I can definatly get one, but would prefer a visa one-as vis would definatly work everywhere.

Advertisement