Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for Ard Ri

• 27-04-2008 2:05am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone read the article in the News & Star on April 1st and this weeks about new plans for the Ard Ri Hotel? I think the planned design looks horrid! I thought it was a joke at first but I no longer think it is!

Nearest Article: http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2008/03/28/story28212.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

That's the thing that looks like a space station isn't it?

It's pathetic. I'll appeal it. I think that area should become a public park.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

KingLoser wrote: »
    That's the thing that looks like a space station isn't it?

Yup.. reminds me of something out of Red Dwarf!
    It's pathetic. I'll appeal it. I think that area should become a public park.

I cant see a park going there considering its on a dual carriageway, a road which is very busy. It needs to be a nice hotel - has the views and is stunning location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

As Sully said, given it's position it needs to be a stand out structure. It dominates the entire city from it's vantage point and as such it must be something that not only Waterford city can be proud of, it must be something any city would be proud of.

As it is we've had an oversized public toilet looking down on us for years. I only hope it won't be another fumble from the developers/city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think by any standards it's a truly ugly building, and I'm not generally one to tell people what's ugly and what's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

image wont work for me anyone else got an image of it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kano476 wrote: »
    image wont work for me anyone else got an image of it?

Dont think there is an image online, I just saw it in the paper. Its a circular tower in what looks like its covered in a red metal sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Sully wrote: »
    Dont think there is an image online, I just saw it in the paper. Its a circular tower in what looks like its covered in a red metal sheet.

Actually, forget NASA, it looks like something from Thunderbirds!

http://www.sparkyworld.org/images/bigpix/6bigthunder3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump rte running a story (and placing it in the wrong place, quell surprise)
    A new €400m development has been announced for Waterford city centre.

The development is planned for the site of the Ard Rí Hotel. It will feature a new hotel and more than 400,000sq.ft of retail, commercial, residential and cultural space.

Developers say the buildings will create 500 jobs during construction and provide over 3,000 jobs for Waterford city when they are completed.

It is the second major development proposal to be announced for Waterford in the past month.

Speaking at the launch of the project, City Quay developer Tom Coughlan said that Waterford offers the best potential in Ireland at the moment.

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Martin Cullen said the planned development is a vote of confidence in Waterford and its people.

Mike

Here is hoping they changed their design :p

Advertisement