Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tensioning a chain on a Bros

• 27-04-2008 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

How do you tension the chain on a Bros? I normally hand the bike in for this but have decided to do it myself this time. What special tools are involved. It looks like a cam system on the rear axle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ha ha, this is a simple one once you get the knack:

Assuming you have the toolkit that comes with the bike, you do the following:

1) put the bike on the centre stand
    2) find the tightest spot of the chain and make sure it is on the long run (rather than at either sprocket.
    3) loosen the outer nut at the rear axle - note, you just have to loosen it not remove it
    4) put the c spanner into the slots that it fits into on the LHS of the hub as you look at the back wheel from behind it
    5) when that is in place rotate the wheel back towards you a small amount.
    6) I turned it at most from 1 o'clock to 4 o'clock so it is only a small adjustment needed.

Hope that helps
    l.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Cheers, I have no original tool kit :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you're stuck you can get the grinder to an immersion heater spanner to make a C spanner to move the cam.

bushy... wrote: »
    If you're stuck you can get the grinder to an immersion heater spanner to make a C spanner to move the cam.
    Hammer and screw driver :) , Job done Thanks Lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yeah, sorry about that, I meant to put up a not that if you have no toolbox c spanner, you need to jam the ring that would be jammed by the c spanner somehow.

My mistake when doing this job was that I thought that I had to turn the thing with the c spanner and I was wondering "how bloody tight this thing is" then yer man in GP told me to turn the wheel not the ring :o

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Just be careful if you are doing it again it can be very easy to mess up the inner ring with a screw driver & a hammer

madrab wrote: »
    Just be careful if you are doing it again it can be very easy to mess up the inner ring with a screw driver & a hammer
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Loads of bros stuff here for future reference.

Advertisement