Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunsmiths for Shotgun repair

Options
  • 27-04-2008 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have contact details for Gunsmiths that can repair shotguns?
    PM or Post here. Close to Limerick would be good.

Was shooting clays today and met a man who was having some trouble
    with his shotgun. He had a very expensive looking browning. The chokes
    were even gold plated!

when he broke the gun it appeared to be very loose and
    whatever the man did, he did not seem to be able to remedy the issue.
    Also the foregrip seemed to move slightly taking the blueing off part
    of the barrels at the base of it. (it did not look as though it needed to be sanded)

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

John Conroy near Portlaoise seems to be the 'go to' guy for shotgun work-

John Conroy,
    Hophall,
    Portlaoise,
    Co. Laois.

Phone: 057-8625692
    Mobile: 087-2592946
    jconroyhophall@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Walter Blacklaw,
    Repairs Centre Manager,
    East Coast Dog & Gun,
    Knockmullen Retail Park,
    Gorey,
    Co. Wexford.
    SHOP CONTACTS:
    (053) 9484305,
    (086) 8282700
    e-mail at info@eastcoastdogandgun.ie.

He is the resident gunsmith at East Coast Dog & Gun and was recently accredited by Browning® FN, Belgium gunsmiths.

He is now fully authorised to undertake all European service work on Browning® products and warranties, on their behalf.

Walter was trained by Elderkins of Lincolnshire and previously completed an in-house training course under Carl Beeman, head gunsmith of Browning® U.K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Do these guys do rifles as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Do these guys do rifles as well?

try john greene waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Thanks for the info all. Will pass it along to the guy as
    when I see him again.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Swantiago

Can anyone tell me the best place to have to have a shotgun repaird in Cork or near abouts??

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Try Jeffersports in Bandon

Mervin Jeffers is the man to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

J.R. wrote: »
    Walter Blacklaw,
    Repairs Centre Manager,
    East Coast Dog & Gun,
    Knockmullen Retail Park,
    Gorey,
    Co. Wexford.
    SHOP CONTACTS:
    (053) 9484305,
    (086) 8282700
    e-mail at info@eastcoastdogandgun.ie.

He is the resident gunsmith at East Coast Dog & Gun and was recently accredited by Browning® FN, Belgium gunsmiths.

He is now fully authorised to undertake all European service work on Browning® products and warranties, on their behalf.

Walter was trained by Elderkins of Lincolnshire and previously completed an in-house training course under Carl Beeman, head gunsmith of Browning® U.K.

Where is Walter now as he does not answer the no above.And the person that answered the phone on the number was very abrupt to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

marlin vs wrote: »
    Where is Walter now as he does not answer the no above.And the person that answered the phone on the number was very abrupt to say the least.

Walter works on his own now.
    He now also does all warranty work for Beretta in southern Ireland.
    Here's his number 086 3719609.
    Gentleman to deal with and always answers the phone.

FOXHUNTER1 wrote: »
    Walter works on his own now.
    He now also does all warranty work for Beretta in southern Ireland.
    Here's his number 086 3719609.
    Gentleman to deal with and always answers the phone.
    Thats the number I always had for him but it just rings out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

marlin vs wrote: »
    Thats the number I always had for him but it just rings out.

I talk to him 3 to 4 times a week on that number.
    Was only talking to him today at a clay shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Walter is very good and takes real pride in his work.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Walter is very good and takes real pride in his work.
    Thats for sure I never said any different and know him well but I just can't get in contact with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Try John o'Brien in Waterford, he usually has his contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Finnt3

Well lads,

Does anyone know if it is possible to "resurface" the interior of the barrels of a side by side shotgun?

There is severe damage to the inside of the barrels, there are chunks taken out of them, from poor quality shells I suspect.
    I plan to use the gun as i have inherited it. Also does anyone have a rough idea how much would it be??
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Finnt3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Finnt3 wrote: »
    ..........Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Finnt3

You cannot ‘resurface’ barrels, but there is an alternative process. If you are really fond of the gun (or if it is very valuable one) you could consider having them sleeved. This involves drilling out the barrels and fitting new ones inside the old – a bit like fitting long chokes from the chamber end. It is done in the UK by a guy called Nigel Teague. (Google Teague chokes) I don’t know if anyone does it in Ireland, but I doubt it. It is about GBP£400 to have both barrels done. The gun also will need to be reproofed. Nice to do and worthwhile if it is an old damascus barrel.
    P.

It is done in the UK by a guy called Nigel Teague. (Google Teague chokes) I don’t know if anyone does it in Ireland, but I doubt it. It is about GBP£400 to have both barrels done. The gun also will need to be reproofed. Nice to do and worthwhile if it is an old damascus barrel.

Thats great! :D Thats exactly what I was looking for. Im not too sure with very many gun terms i just like to shot but what is "Reproofing"? Any idea how much it cost much? And are you aware if that Nigel lad will do it for me aswell as having them sleeved?

The gun was used by my late grandfather so im not gettin rid of it. The gun is unusable because of the state its in and its a pitty as it looks and feels like a really nice gun and id like to get it back shooting again.

Thanks
    Finn

Finnt3 wrote: »
    Thats great! :D Thats exactly what I was looking for. Im not too sure with very many gun terms i just like to shot but what is "Reproofing"? Any idea how much it cost much? And are you aware if that Nigel lad will do it for me aswell as having them sleeved?

The gun was used by my late grandfather so im not gettin rid of it. The gun is unusable because of the state its in and its a pitty as it looks and feels like a really nice gun and id like to get it back shooting again.

Thanks
    Finn

In layman terms when serious work is done on a gun it needs to be 'reproofed' which is a test carried out by officialdom to ensure that the gun is safe to fire. The Proof house then stamps a mark on the gun if it passes. It is illegal for a dealer to sell/pass on a gun that is 'out of proof' so it will have to be done by Teague. Google proof house and their site has details. However, if the gun is in bad condition it may also be 'off face' i.e. it might not close tightly so more work might be needed to render it safe to fire. Take off the fore-end and shake the gun - if it rattles badly you probably have another problem. What make is it? what markings does it have? There are lots of experts here many who could could give you good advice. No point in contacting Teague in UK at this stage, you do not have enough info. Post here first, or bring it to a good gunshop and ask for an opinion. It might be better to have it decommissioned and use it as an ornament unless it is very special.

. However, if the gun is in bad condition it may also be 'off face' i.e. it might not close tightly so more work might be needed to render it safe to fire. Take off the fore-end and shake the gun - if it rattles badly you probably have another problem. What make is it? what markings does it have? It might be better to have it decommissioned and use it as an ornament unless it is very special.

The breaking the gun is solid and very smooth i have fired it once or twice and no misfires. I was afraid of a blow out and didn't do anything more with it. A few lads that know a bit about guns (not gunsmiths or dealers) had a look at the gun the name of the gun does not ring any bells with them.

I will have to look at the gun when i get home tomorrow and see if i can see any more markings that might indicate the make of the gun.

I was afraid I may have to resort to decommissioning it but ill do that if it turns out too expensive. Ill get back to you with more info.

Thanks
    Finn

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Take a pic of the proof marks on the barrels and we can at least identify where it was made. That would be a good start :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The UK gun-proof law requires ANY firearm of where pressure-bearing components - such as the barrels or breeching - that has work done on it in UK be subjected to re-proof by either Birmingham or London proof houses, depending on the proximity of the gunsmith. The gunsmith arranges it, and the cost is born by you, the owner of the gun. Remember that it is HIS work that is being tested. Failing proof on relined shotgun barrels is unheard of, BTW.

Get it done in the Republic of Ireland and there is no legal necessity for it at all.

But then................................

The subject of gun proof on this forum ALWAYS leads inevitably to a shout-fest, so I'm stopping right there.

tac

Well lads,

I took loads of pictures of the gun, Its a fab Nat D'Armes de Guerre Herstal Belgique.
    Do u guys have any info of this type of gun? My grandfather was in the LDF (Irish defense forces the time of WW2) and supposedly he used the gun during this period. (homemade shell are more than likely the reason behind the damage to the barrels)
    It is not a hammer action gun, it has 30 inch long barrel with dual triggers. There is also ejectors on it!? I dint think they done that that long ago.

The leaver mechanism on the breaking of the gun is smother than my own and i bought mine brand new 3 years ago
    I cant find any information about the gun on Google at all.
    I will upload the photos somewhere and link them to you guys so you can have i look at it.

Thanks Lads
    Finnt3

Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre - Herstal, Belgique, FN for short, one of the most prodigious manufacturers of small arms of all kinds since 1889.

Ejectors on shotguns date back to the late 1860s. when cartridge-firing shotgums became readily available.

Pics, please.

tac

Pics, please.

I just set up this account there and there is loads of pictures on it - https://imageshack.com/user/Finnt3

Its in good enough nic but doesnt look great lot of work needs to be done on it id say

Thanks
    Finn

Sir - that is going to cost you a small fortune to have put back in order. The external state of the barrels alone is enough to condemn it as a shooter, if it was to be examined by an English gunsmith. The gun itself dates from before 1924, from the proofmarks, sooooooooooooooooo...IMO it would be wiser to retire it honourably as a family momento.

That's just me.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir - that is going to cost you a small fortune to have put back in order. IMO it would be wiser to retire it honourably as a family momento

Aw nooo, thats what i feared :/
    How much would you be talking? In your opinion?

Finn

Sir - the relining of a set of barrels is totally dependent on the being in good enough condition to take the boring process so that the liners can be inserted. Also that there is enough 'meat' in the material of the tubes to put up with at least HALF of it being removed for the new liners to go in anyhow. Your barrels look very thin to me, maybe I'm wrong.

This is a reasonable deal on a good set of barrels - yours are, sadly, pretty poor externally, and by your own admittance, have bad - make that VERY bad internals from the rather odd loads that might have been shot down them - seventy years ago.

Mr Teague looking at it will certainly cost you anyway, even if it's see him send them back with a 'not a chance' letter.

Both jobs, if done together, might set you back around £500-600 - remember that the exchange rate is currently eu1.20 to the pound - make that 600-720 euros - minimum. Add the wood and you are talking about another 200eu, and refurbing the sad ould finish, another 200eu........

tac

tac

Thank everyone,

Although this the information i was hoping not to hear, the good thing is i now know what the cost and the chances are in repairing the gun.
    This has potentially and more than likely saved me a lot of money.

Thanks lads,
    Finn

I concur with TAC - it is far beyond economic redemption. Even if it could be relined and pass re-proof, you could add the cost of having the barrels reblued, then you could say 'it would be nice to get the stock refinished and the checkering recut/cleaned up, etc, etc, it

It is an interesting gun, was not cheap in its day as a sidelock, has a Prince of Wales grip and the lug on the back of the barrels (a 'third fastener') looks like its modelled on Greener's patent.

• Advertisement

It's a real pity when an heirloom gun like this, with stories to tell, has to be hung up for good, it's days of use being over.

I am SOOO lucky to have all of my dad's guns - six handguns in the US and a rifle here in yUK - still in full working order and hopefully, for many years to come.

My suggestion, if it still has any nostalgic significance to you, is to have it sympathetically deactivated.

tac

Advertisement