Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending sms from website

Options
  • 27-04-2008 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,
    I wonder if you know how to send sms from my website... I mean, the user doesn't write anything, just click in a link and a predefined sms's (fetching from mysql database) will sent to their mobiles.

In example: the user is searching for different kind of products in a specific category, then he press the link and the product details will be sent to the mobile specified within ireland/uk

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

egmweb wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I wonder if you know how to send sms from my website... I mean, the user doesn't write anything, just click in a link and a predefined sms's (fetching from mysql database) will sent to their mobiles.

In example: the user is searching for different kind of products in a specific category, then he press the link and the product details will be sent to the mobile specified within ireland/uk

thanks in advance.

One option is to use an SMS Gateway provider to send the message for you. You need to open an account with them & use their API on your website. Don't know anything about the providers out there but I would suggest shopping around for the best rate.

You can also use an SMS modem to send the message from your server, but I think that could be the harder option to go with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

egmweb wrote: »
    Hi All,

thanks in advance.

I use bulksms.co.uk

For £8+VAT @ 17.5%, you get 200 credits. An SMS to Ireland costs about £0.0289. An SMS to the UK costs £0.039.

It's all pay-as-you-go, there's no contract and you can sign up using your credit card. Your credit lasts for 12 months. Any message I've sent using their network is pretty much instantaneous. You can specify high quality networks for better delivery speed which costs an extra 20%, but I've found the normal setting to have had no problems whatsoever. You can even specify a lower priority setting for 20% less credit if you're really tight with the cash!

Some operators insist you sign up for a minimum of 12 months and use all your credit each month. Also, some of them use crap operators who take ages to deliver your message.

Sending a message with bulksms is as simple as accessing a URL with some GET variables. There's also a https address that you can use if you're security conscious.

I've a PHP function to send messages to bulksms if you're interested.

I sound like a sales consultant for bulksms! I'm very happy with them.

Advertisement