Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor Hood

Options
  • 27-04-2008 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

We are fitting a new kitchen ourselves but have recieved a chimney extractor in place of one which did not use an external vent. Do we have to have an external vent for it or can we convert it?? Help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

billtong wrote: »
    We are fitting a new kitchen ourselves but have recieved a chimney extractor in place of one which did not use an external vent. Do we have to have an external vent for it or can we convert it?? Help.

I'd bore a hole and put the vent out if I were you. Moved into a house there about 2 years ago and the extractor fan has no vent. It renders it useless and all the rising grease and steam from the cooker will stick to the doors :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

I just replaced my old extractor fan, and had to bore a new hole as the old one was too low down.

You can rent a 110 mm drill and coring drill bit from most good tool hire companies (110 mm hole to accommodate a 100 mm or 4" vent pipe). It's quite a simple job if you have good access to both sides of the wall.

Make sure there are no hidden electrical cables where you intend to drill. Drill a pilot hole all the way through both blocks (assuming you have a traditional cavity wall). Then drill the 110 mm core in one leaf, and then go to the other side a drill the other. The coring drill bit will remove the centre core in one piece.

Bada boom bada bing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 prometheus413

you can buy carbon hood filters for most extractors that will take the grime out of the vapour and recirculate the hot/clean air around the room.

an extractor vent is much better though as the moisture is being sent out of the building. get a concrete coring company to do it for you. they will cut the hole the exact size, no mess no repainting! slighlt expensive though. but if you havnt used these coring drills before they can break your arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The link

What is the best and quietest extractor fan.
    The one I have makes plenty of noise but thats about it. I would like to get a good one that actually extracts.
    ( the one I have is piped to the outside)

Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

The extractors should have ratings for both air flow in m3 per minute etc and noise level in dB for example... the actual figures may be hard to understand but you can tell if one is higher than another for example...

see www.gorenje.co.uk I think they have ratings

• Advertisement
Advertisement