Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Barca (2nd leg)

• 27-04-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I think United can win this game.
    We're a different team at home, and we have to attack, so we'll go back to our old selves (I bloody hope :))

I think its advantage Barca to be honest, can see Henry doing a number on us.

Who is going to the final? 90 votes

Man Utd
    0%
    Barca
    26%
    Thanx 4 The FishBKtjePepe LeFritsRaskolnikovleulerAPMT-b0n3PonsterJazzychopperbyrnefred funk }{mchurleZe^syngindubKeanomarco_poloshockwavejackdawDancorzuchum 24 votes
    Man Utd (United fans)
    45%
    Bounty HuntersmogcournioniDapperGentLafortezzaCivilServantmachiavellianmejesus_thats_greShaque attackcruiserweightblobertscargillziggyquad_redSherifuBerns[Deleted User]Mr. PresentableJonny ArsonLister1 41 votes
    Barca (Barca fans)
    27%
    SkudPHBzAbboQuball15smemonIagoUnearthlyevad_lhorgMr.Nice GuyRedorDeadGegertyandrewieadox[Deleted User]Rob_lMrPillowTalkPeyton ManningKillme00ironictoasters_carnage 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Barca
    Deportivo won against Barca last night 2-0 but Barcelona was playing without 6-7 players who were resting for United so it isnt big surprise they lost.As i already said few times if United stop these experiments with playing on result and do what was doing all season,ATTACk and play agressive they can win without doubt,but as i said they recent results arent optimistic so i am closer to say Barca will get draw in this match and its closer to pass through,on the other hand if Manchester play this game like most of games this seasons they will definitly go to final,so we can just see will they go out of this crisis they are in now or this bad things will continues....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Barca (Barca fans)
    PHB wrote: »
    I think United can win this game.
    We're a different team at home, and we have to attack, so we'll go back to our old selves (I bloody hope :))

I think its advantage Barca to be honest, can see Henry doing a number on us.

So which is it then?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Utd, to go through, have to win (obviously). I can see Barca scoring, as Utd will have to attack and probably won't play with as many men behind the ball as they did at the Nou Camp. Utd's form has been pretty bad the last few weeks, and they'll need a huge performance to step up and win.

Man Utd (United fans)
    Barcelona Im afraid. SAF has taken the edge off United performances with his negative tactics in recent weeks and I cant see them regaining it to the point of winnign this game and/or not conceding when they have more men committed forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Man Utd (United fans)
    Barca are sronger from what i've seen in the first leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I think Barca will have the majority of attacking chances but Utd will defend their bollix off. Dont think Utd will knock two past Barca, and if it goes to penos Id put my money on Barca.

Still, Ill be silently half supporting united, want a Utd v Pool final so badly (although Pool have lillte chance of making it anyway :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's hard to muster up any confidence after the last two games. Either Barca face a demoralised United and walk it, or United respond like wounded animals and give a Roma-esque performance.

Not gonna call it, but I hope it's the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca
    United unfortunately. If our midfield bar Toure could help out our defense I reckon we could get a clean sheet, but our midfields tactics have been so **** lately that we'll lose 3-1. :(

Im going on record to say you will NOT see a ****ing Roma performance... 7-1? Barca will keep the ball for about 60% of the time. If you can score 7 against us with 40% position Ill eat my hat and shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The heart says Barca, and unfortunately the heart is very rarely right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Man Utd (United fans)
    I think Man Utd fans are underestimating how bad Barca are ATM but having said that, Barca have alot of potential for goals so I see them going through on the away goals rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Barca (Barca fans)
    I still think we will win this game, maybe im an eternal optomist, although i know im not! i think we have to respond, i think this team has always responded when challenged and i cant see Tuesday being different.....

I know one thing, ill be at the game and ill be singing my heart out till the final whistle

I remain convinced that we can outplay Barcelona if we turn up, they dont travel well and really are not what they used to be, their defense is definatly shakey and we can definatly score.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could go either way, but if Barca score I'd back them to progress.

Mike.

Barca
    kryogen wrote: »
    I still think we will win this game, maybe im an eternal optomist, although i know im not! i think we have to respond, i think this team has always responded when challenged and i cant see Tuesday being different.....

I know one thing, ill be at the game and ill be singing my heart out till the final whistle

I remain convinced that we can outplay Barcelona if we turn up, they dont travel well and really are not what they used to be, their defense is definatly shakey and we can definatly score.....

Barcelona don't travel well? Maybe in the Spanish league but they went to Celtic park and won 3-2, a place where United lost last year. They went to Anfield and won 1-0, something most European sides have never done in the CL. They went to San Siro and won 1-0, somewhere United went and got turned over 3-0. They are the only team to beat Jose Mourinho's Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. In their last 8 visits to England, they have won 5. Yes this team isn't what it used to be, but I dont think the fact that they are playing away will be the reason they lose.

The game being played away wont make much of a difference, Barca will still have about 60% possession, the stadium wont phase them, its just the fact that United have been a better team this season that will be their downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I think Barca will win unfortunately. We will have to come out and attack and this will leave space for Barca which wasn't there in the first leg. Barca's players are just superior to Man Utd's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Really? Haven't lost an away game in the competition so far this season....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

United had a gameplan in the first leg and stuck to it...as Guillem Ballague said on Sky Sports, it was sly what Man Utd did...they know Barca can not break down well organised defensive teams and they did just that.

They were unlucky against Chelsea and should have won the game in the second half...but wasn't to be.

Unless something unfortunate (serious injury, "shouldn't be a peno" penalty, own goal) goes against their way in the second leg against Barca, I can see Utd winning....

Barca (Barca fans)
    Are you travelling for the game Eze???? maybe we could meet up after the game for a beer or something? :D

im going on the away form in the spanish league this season btw....dont think its great is it??? im sure the players wont feel intimidated or anything but i do think united at home is a very different prospect to united away, we have won every home european game for 3 years now

Barca (Barca fans)
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Really? Haven't lost an away game in the competition so far this season....

Their record in Europe is identical to ours this season i know, like i just said, im talking about their away form all season, not just the champs league, in fairness they havent played much in europe this season have they? Rangers? Schalke?

Barca
    Are you travelling for the game Eze???? maybe we could meet up after the game for a beer or something? :D

I had a ticket man, but my exams are in like a week, so Ive got sooooo much studying to be doing that I just plan on leaving the library at 7.30 that day and going to the pub. Over 30 people got tickets from the UK Penya, they always sort them out with loads of tickets for Barca's matches in the UK.

That winning streak is pretty impressive alright, but I must say, all good things come to an end. Last year Barcelona hadn't lost a game in the Camp Nou to a British side in its history, then along stroll Liverpool, and Valdes ****s us over.

I hope if nothing better Barcelona play with some pride.

cheesedude wrote: »
    They were unlucky against Chelsea and should have won the game in the second half...but wasn't to be.

Eh what? Chelsea were by far the better team for 95 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

eZe^ wrote: »
    Im going on record to say you will NOT see a ****ing Roma performance... 7-1? Barca will keep the ball for about 60% of the time. If you can score 7 against us with 40% position Ill eat my hat and shoes.

Oh of course I don't expect the same scoreline, but the same type of performance, as in, not giving Barca players a micro-second on the ball and really taking it to them. Not what we saw at the Nou Camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

United hopefully. I think United will win 1-0. I don't think Barca will score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Barca (Barca fans)
    The amount of doom and gloom around United is stupid to be frank.

Our 3 WEEKS of poor performances is better than Barca's WHOLE SEASON of poor performances.

4-4-2, Ronaldo on the wing. We can beat anybody. Its at Old Trafford, all or nothing game... How is it advantage Barca? Granted if they score blah blah but if we win at home we go through.

I am confident.

Barca
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The amount of doom and gloom around United is stupid to be frank.

Our 3 WEEKS of poor performances is better than Barca's WHOLE SEASON of poor performances.

4-4-2, Ronaldo on the wing. We can beat anybody. Its at Old Trafford, all or nothing game... How is it advantage Barca? Granted if they score blah blah but if we win at home we go through.

I am confident.

Thats the spirit:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What makes people think that United will open up and attack?
    I'm not a United fan but what I saw of them against Lyon at home and Roma they didn't openly attack much.

Reckon it will be 1nil United.

Barca
    Well probably coz they were best and winning all the time when they were playing aggresive and attacking,but i still dont expect them to play like that,same as i hope they wont for God;s sake play although so defensive like last 2 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca (Barca fans)

I'm not a United fan but what I saw of them against Lyon at home and Roma they didn't openly attack much.

Reckon it will be 1nil United.

Because we had the away goal. We were able to defend and nick it.

We have to beat them, can't draw with them, have to beat them, and to be safe have to beat them by 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Barca (Barca fans)
    Gonna go for 4-3 utd al la Madrid or 3-2 united, will be a tight game , can see these teams going all out till the very end with united nudging it aslong as fergie doesn't bring on JOS or PJS to secure victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Man Utd (United fans)
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    , Ronaldo on the wing. .

On his arse every time he gets near the goal, tbh. If Utd win this I suspect it'll be through a conned official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

nipplenuts wrote: »
    On his arse every time he gets near the goal, tbh. If Utd win this I suspect it'll be through a conned official

Yeah, nice contribution!:rolleyes:

Did you see the first game? Did you see Iniesta's dive in the box? Messi's just as bad aswell. Suppose that doesn't matter though, what with Ronaldo being the devil reincarnate and all.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Man Utd (United fans)
    I want United to get through because i want to play them in the final. Dont think they will though, Barca to nick it on away goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah just get the feeling this will be like the Real Madrid game a few seasons back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Man Utd (United fans)
    This post has been deleted.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Eh what? Chelsea were by far the better team for 95 minutes.

I don't think so.

Barca
    They were better first 45min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Barca
    cheesedude wrote: »
    I don't think so.
    Funny, I did not think you would.

Chelsea were a far better team for most of the game though. Anyway if United do play their attacking game then they will probably score but if they do then I feel they will concede against a better attacking team than they have come up against in the prem.

• Advertisement

Funny, I did not think you would.

Chelsea were a far better team for most of the game though. Anyway if United do play their attacking game then they will probably score but if they do then I feel they will concede against a better attacking team than they have come up against in the prem.

What's funny about it? They were in Stamford Bridge and should have got a point...

Barca (Barca fans)
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    On his arse every time he gets near the goal

So you reckon he'll score a few bicycle kicks then yeah?

38 goal season, durpa durp durp....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Barca (Barca fans)
    I'm letting my heart rule my head on this one. I think Barcelona are well capable of getting a goal and if they do then United have it all to do. I can see Barcelona having a sizeable chunk of possession.

I want Fergie to go for it and not be cautious and if he does so I believe United can edge it. It should be a great game.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Man Utd (United fans)
    I think that Barca will go through on away goals due to Ferguson's negativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Barca
    I'm goin for Man U cos although Barca are the better passing side, they couldnt score at home, I dont think they'll score at OT and if they do it'll be a peno!!! I hope that United will have something to prove now that Chelsea have beaten them and Fergie makes the right decisions. It'll prob be a bore-fest til United score in the 88th minute;)

• Advertisement

Barca
    Barcelona fans eclipse Red Army
    Posted by Patrick Nathanson on 25 Feb 2008
    Telegraph

Barcelona are the most loved team in Europe.

That's if you believe the results of a survey by a German marketing agency.

According to Sport+Markt, the Catalan side boast a support base of more than 50 million fans.

Real Madrid may be leading Barca by two points in La Liga but in the fan table they trail their rivals by 4.1 million supporters.

Manchester United, with a Red Army of 32.8 million (15 million of whom live in the south of England?), pip Arsenal to third place. Arsene Wenger's side still boast an impressive 22.9 million followers though.

AC Milan (22.2 million) squeeze into the top five, edging out Bayern Munich and Monaco, who are locked on 20 million.

Of course, the figures come with salt sachets provided, but it's still a scary thought - there are more than four times as many Gooners in the world as there are Norwegians.

How about suggestions for a different kind of list- Europe's least popular clubs?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/patricknathanson/february08/barcelonafanseclipseredarmy.htm

:D

Squad for ManUtd game:

Valdés, Pinto

Puyol, Thuram, Milito, Sylvinho, Abidal, Zambrotta

Deco, Touré Yayá, Gudjohnsen, Edmilson, Xavi, Iniesta

Bojan, Etòo, Messi, Henry

Giovani is out

Barca (Barca fans)
    Messi is in :(

Monaco have 20million fans? Who knew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Barca (Barca fans)
    I think the defeat against Chelsea will have everyone fired up.

All of a sudden Utd's season could fall apart if they lose this one and they'll be determined not to do an Arsenal.

I think we'll see Utd play a physical game with plenty of aggressive tackling and defending high up the pitch.

We could well see Rooney & Tevez start together. The atmosphere is going to be electric at OT and that will filter on to the pitch, it always does, at home.

Barca
    Or ye could choke ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Hopefully the players can bounce back after the performances last week against Barça and at the weekend against Chelsea. Hargreaves and Anderson both have to start in midfield. We need to hassle Xavi, Iniesta/Deco and Touré and deny them time and space on the ball and both Hargreaves and Anderson have the energy to put themselves about. Scholes is certain to start in midfield aswell, particularly because of how poorly Carrick has been playing.

I'm still undecided about who should start up front. Ronaldo and Rooney (if fit) have to play and after that, it should be between Nani and Tevez, although Fergie may be thinking of going with Park. I'd like to see Nani start, mainly for his ability at set pieces but wouldn't be too dissappointed to see Tevez in there. Basically, we need to play a high-energy game, getting in the Barça players faces and attacking them direct and with pace. I don't think we can afford to line up 4-4-2 because we'll be dominated in the centre of midfield. Nothing to say on the defence apart from Pique for Vidic if he doesn't make it.
    Or ye could choke ;)

We could do; or we could concede an own goal in the 94th minute that loses us the tie on away goals!;) 21bntd.gif

Barca
    Well here's hoping eh lefty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca (Barca fans)
    That is one weird ass gif

Barca
    I believe that is a position that Rooney is well used to.

Barca
    smemon wrote: »
    defending high up the pitch.

That is EXACTLY what I want. Perfect for Messi, Etoo and Iniesta/ Henry to exploit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Barca (Barca fans)
    Playing 4-5-1 will be risky at OT. It really depends what team plays. Whether we see the lethargic and wasteful performance of the Barcelona and Chelsea games or the high tempo,incisive team of the FA cup game against Arsenal or the 7-1 thrashing of Roma last year. If we can actually start passing and keeping the ball then we should be alright. If we are wasteful, we will pay eventually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement