Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Barca (2nd leg)

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

An Citeog wrote: »
    Tbh, I'm pleased with Ronaldo's performance last night. He showed maturity and intelligence in the way he played and it's something that has been missing from his game against top quality opposition. He didn't rip the Barça defence open time and again but he worked hard and sacrificed himself for the team, while playing out of position. The main advantage Messi has over Ronaldo though is his ball control. It's absolutely phenomenal, like the ball just sticks to him and that's why he finds it so easy to beat a man. Ronaldo on the other hand is far more powerful than Messi and can play pretty much anywhere. He's also got a phenomenal goal-scoring record and is extremely effective. Truth is, I'd rather have Ronaldo in my team than Messi. For all Messi's huffing and puffing last night, how many clear-cut opportunities did he create? Ronaldo provided an outlet for United's attack and could have had 3+ assists if Park, Tevez and Nani had put away their chances.

Exactly - it is the type of performance i want to see from Ronaldo. His style of play doesn't suit the way United play or perform in Europe. He is not a player who will dominate on his own - he needs others to occupy defenders so that he is not triple marked, this doesn't happen for him in europe cause united play so deep. He ends up getting isolated, frustrated and crowded out. Last night though, he linked up the play and got the midfield involved. He kept possesion or won free kicks/throws instead of running up blind alleys and losing the ball as he has been known to in the past. It wa a mature and intelligent performance from Ronaldo. Not awesome like we have seen in other games, not eye catching like Messi, but mature and intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

First off I am a huge united fan but dont post too often as most of these threads are crazy.

After the first leg I was slightly worried. We got a 0-0 draw in the nou camp which is a great result but after all uniteds failures throughout the years I was very wary.
    I thought ferguson got the team selection wrong in the first leg and we were very lucky. People bitching about Ronaldo need to realise as DesF said fergie told him what to do. He told him to go down easy etc to relieve the pressure for a few minutes. United got out with a great result mainly because barca were bad inside the box.

Now to the second leg. I was slightly suprised again at the team selection. Park and carrick mainly. When the game started it was like a re-run of the first game. United defending and barca holding onto the ball with their 5 man midfield which united struggled to cope with.
    But then up pops scholes and were 1-0 up. Thats all we needed in the end.

Messi was amazing but he didnt have the final ball and without that barca werent going to score. In last nights game they only had one chance inside the box whereas united had several.

For me brown was motm with tevez being a really close second. Until last night I was going to get tevez on my shirt but now I think i will get brown.

Barcas midfield dominated in the 2 legs but they didnt have a killer edge and that was their downfall. Bring on the scousers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Look, the side that deserved to go through to the final is going through. They scored a goal and the opposition didn't. Thems the facts of the matter.

I won't be watching tonights game having choked down the hoofy that was the first leg, and won't be watching the final - I will be doing my hair that night.

Football is not, for me at least, all about results whatever the cost or method. Football, for me, is skill, technique, flair, style, class and athleticism. But that's not the winning recipe currently. The winning recipe now is power, strength, cynicism, cheating and "work rate" (damn you Alf Ramsey).

Ironic that football was born in England and is now being killed there.

Oh, please!!

All those elements were present last night, from both sides...and I didn't see any cynicism or cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Man Utd (United fans)
    Nunu wrote: »
    Oh, please!!

All those elements were present last night, from both sides...and I didn't see any cynicism or cheating.

But,
    I am talking about football, not just last night's game. But, while you are here, would you be crying for a sending off if the Scholes "tackle" early in the game had been on, say C Ronaldo! That was cynical and crude.

Do you see?

But,
    I am talking about football, not just last night's game. But, while you are here, would you be crying for a sending off if the Scholes "tackle" early in the game had been on, say C Ronaldo! That was cynical and crude.

Do you see?

Do you see? Do you SEE? Look closelyer...Do you SEE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

But,

Do you see?

No, i wouldn't. That tackle was necessary - it's always been like that. defo a yellow, not a a red though.

I just think your views are too romanticised. Was football ever really like that and is todays brand really that much of a turn-off for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Man Utd (United fans)

I just think your views are too romanticised.

That, I'm afraid, may be true. But I'd rather watch the Brazil of 1970 than the Liverpool of 2005.

Not picking on Liverpool, just an example

That, I'm afraid, may be true. But I'd rather watch the Brazil of 1970 than the Liverpool of 2005.

Not picking on Liverpool, just an example

How about Arsenal of George Graham years or Arsenal now? Brazil in the 80's or, say, Argentina now? United in the 80's, or United now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Barca (Barca fans)
    just back from the match. absolutely mental. I have never seen atmosphere like that in OT and outside before the game too. had a perfect view from the stretford end of the swerve on Scholesys goal which made it even better. anyway....
    Follow, follow, follow
    'cause United are goin to Moscow
    There'll be thousands of reds
    We'll be pissed off our heads
    'cause United are goin to Moscow :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Barca (Barca fans)
    evad_lhorg wrote: »
    just back from the match. absolutely mental. I have never seen atmosphere like that in OT and outside before the game too. had a perfect view from the stretford end of the swerve on Scholesys goal which made it even better. anyway....
    Follow, follow, follow

+1
    it was some atmosphere alright!! absolutely delighted i got to see that one, i missed going to practiaclly all the games this season cause of work :(

that one made up for it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Barca
    evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Follow, follow, follow

I must agree i never saw such a great atmosphere on OT,fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I must agree i never saw such a great atmosphere on OT,fantastic!

Thats because the CL is the biggest club competition in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, i wouldn't. That tackle was necessary - it's always been like that. defo a yellow, not a a red though.

Skrtel's was nessecary in the Arsenal game and there were calls for him to be sent off. I cant remember but somethign along the lines of knacker was mentioned aswell. (could be wrong on that but I'm almost sure a mild insult was directed at him)

PHB wrote: »
    Well imo, the reason we weren't able to play good attacking football last night was because Rooney was out. Without him we're a shadow of ourselves attacking wise. That Ronaldo is out 2nd best striker says it all to be honest.

I hate Fergie's away European tactics, I really do. I hate not playing the way we can. Why restrain the best attack in the world? But last night after Rooney and Vidic were out, I couldn't fault them one bit. We had no right to win that game, and I think everyone thought that Barca were favorites when they saw that team sheet.

I still maintain though that we intended to attack Barca away, it's just we played utterly ****. The intent was there though, it's just that Yaya Toure had such an amazing game we couldn't get anything going.

Also, last night we did show attacking intent and imo were the better team going forward, as we created some other good chances, Nani being the most obvious. We played inbteween defensive and offensive football, and that's best shown by Evra, who a couple of times was willing to bomb forward leaving Messi unmarked (indeed all those great runs that Messi made tended to be when Evra had over-committed himself)
    That said, without Vidic or defence is very dodgy when dealing with breaks. Brown played well lsat night, but imo he's still a bit dodgy at times. Our midfielders had to sit deep to cover up our defensive weakness. Hargreaves had to play at RB.
    Hargreaves being able to play in midfield would have allowed us much more possession, but you gotta take these injuries as they come and come through them with big team performances.

My reasons for believing that Chelsea don't deserve to win the league aren't to do with how they play football. It's to do with how they've managed to get to where they are in terms of points tally. It's not due to defensive football, it's due to a lot of good fortune imo.

Do you realise now if Utd win it , it's not worth the same as if Arsenal or Barce had won it? (using your own barometer of sexy football is not as valuable as winning ugly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Barca
    Who said its not?I was comenting atmosphere and not why is it or something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Barca (Barca fans)
    cheesedude wrote: »
    I don't need luck...I have brains.

Ronaldo was outclassed? Then you need to get rid of the clown glasses you seem to be wearing...

http://www.halloweenscene.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/24908%20clown%20specs.jpg

Mate any sort of glasses would do well on you if you think Ronaldo actually did himself proud over the two legs. I mean, it's like the Emperor's New Clothes fable. You're seeing things.
    cheesedude wrote:
    In case you don't realise, Ronaldo was being fouled all over the place last night...and that's not from the Sky Sports crew...that's fat Pat dolan off Setanta saying it...

A Pat Dolan reference?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well who the **** do you listen to then? The voices in your head? What more proof do you need? Pundits are saying it...players are saying it...managers are saying it...

In case you didn't realise...but your opinion on this matter means sweet f all to me, your dreaming.

Just because in your head, your thinking Ronaldo didn't do himself any justice...I mean that's just fu*ked in the head talk. You're crazy.

Man Utd (United fans)
    Just back from the match, best atmosphere at OT ever. Fact! Lots of singing. Unbelievable defensive performance from United, thats how u defend a lead!! Excellent stuff.

Im not gonna say much about the game, got amazing seats in the end, 2nd row behind the goal, my ecstatic head was on the tv after Scholeseys goal! Class!

One thing the cameras didnt show which was amazin was after the game when the players had left the pitch, the Barca fans and the United fans applauded each other for about a minute, a great moment I have to say.

This says all I want to say! http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=51ZZ6NZW7Xk

Barca (Barca fans)
    Well who the **** do you listen to then? The voices in your head? What more proof do you need? Pundits are saying it...players are saying it...managers are saying it...

In case you didn't realise...but your opinion on this matter means sweet f all to me, your dreaming.

Just because in your head, your thinking Ronaldo didn't do himself any justice...I mean that's just fu*ked in the head talk. You're crazy.

First of all I think your tone and attitude stinks and you do yourself a disservice talking to someone like that.

Second of all, I base my opinions on what I see before me. I use common sense. I don't know how you can claim everyone is saying Ronaldo was wonderful when earlier in this very thread I posted two articles which claimed, as I did, that Messi showed Ronaldo up, and I also posted the BBC's player rater result which gave Messi the man of the match. Furthermore if you've read comments on the match from fans it is clear that the consensus is that Messi outplayed Ronaldo.

What I got in response to this was a sarcastic smiley from one guy and in your case, a tirade of abuse.

You haven't really got a leg to stand on. Your opinions are bewildering and as I said above, your overall attitude stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Barca (Barca fans)
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good losers.

Bad winners.

This thread is exactly as stupid as I would have expected. Ah well.

Very selective there

Why not point out the bad losers and good winners?

First of all I think your tone and attitude stinks and you do yourself a disservice talking to someone like that.

Second of all, I base my opinions on what I see before me. I use common sense. I don't know how you can claim everyone is saying Ronaldo was wonderful when earlier in this very thread I posted two articles which claimed, as I did, that Messi showed Ronaldo up, and I also posted the BBC's player rater result which gave Messi the man of the match. Furthermore if you've read comments on the match from fans it is clear that the consensus is that Messi outplayed Ronaldo.

What I got in response to this was a sarcastic smiley from one guy and in your case, a tirade of abuse.

You haven't really got a leg to stand on. Your opinions are bewildering and as I said above, your overall attitude stinks.

A tirade of abuse? Hardly...i told you to go to specsavers basically and now you are crying a river.

How ironic also since you claimed I was seeing things...good man. :rolleyes:

So you come on here saying how the Sky Sports views means nothing because well, it's Sky Sports and then you post a rating you found on the BBC website which from what I can tell consists of more Liverpool fans and anti utd fans than anywhere else on the interweb (can you prove me wrong?) claiming it has added worth and criticizing me for saying Ronaldo did himself justice and because of the fact I mentioned what Pat Dolan said? That is outrageous. You need to grow up and take the banter that comes your way because I think you are talking full on rubbish by saying Ronaldo didn't do himself justice and how Messi was simply lethal and deadly and any other adjectives you see suitable...

Have a think about it yeah...

EDIT: I'd also like to add that Messi was at fault for Scholes goal and if it was not for Ronaldos dangerous runs, it would not have fallen to Scholes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Va78F39WKT0

Enjoy the goal!

• Advertisement

Barca (Barca fans)
    A tirade of abuse? Hardly...i told you to go to specsavers basically and now you are crying a river.

How ironic also since you claimed I was seeing things...good man. :rolleyes:

So you come on here saying how the Sky Sports views means nothing because well, it's Sky Sports and then you post a rating you found on the BBC website which from what I can tell consists of more Liverpool fans and anti utd fans than anywhere else on the interweb (can you prove me wrong?) claiming it has added worth and criticizing me for saying Ronaldo did himself justice and because of the fact I mentioned what Pat Dolan said? That is outrageous. You need to grow up and take the banter that comes your way because I think you are talking full on rubbish by saying Ronaldo didn't do himself justice and how Messi was simply lethal and deadly and any other adjectives you see suitable...

Have a think about it yeah...

I've no problem with you telling me to go to specsavers. I've a problem with these comments:

"Well who the **** do you listen to then? The voices in your head?"

"Just because in your head, your thinking Ronaldo didn't do himself any justice...I mean that's just fu*ked in the head talk. You're crazy."

That's not quite banter, is it? :rolleyes:

I criticised the hype of Sky Sports presenters. What has that got to do with a player rating system on a BBC website voted for by fans? And why do you assume it was voted for by Liverpool and anti-United fans? :confused:

You should read this thread whilst the game was going on and see the various comments from people praising Messi. There are more for Messi than Ronaldo as you will see. So I think you are talking rubbish by praising Ronaldo and dismissing Messi.

Valid points I feel I made.

I'm not dismissing Messi...I think he is class...I knew about him years ago before most people in this country did...

I just have a problem with people like yourself criticising Ronaldo so much...I think that is mental. He was dangerous, intelligent and effective.

What did Messi do though to make him so lethal and deadly? Cut inside, have the odd shot? Skinned a few people then crossed the ball poorly...

Barca (Barca fans)
    Valid points I feel I made.

I'm not dismissing Messi...I think he is class...I knew about him years ago before most people in this country did...

I just have a problem with people like yourself criticising Ronaldo so much...I think that is mental.

I was just expecting more from Ronaldo from the two games. I really wanted him to step up and show his stuff and I don't think he did so.

I only criticise him because I know he's capable of more. I do like him and I know both of us will want him to blow either Liverpool or Chelsea away in the final.
    cheesedude wrote:
    What did Messi do though to make him so lethal and deadly? Cut inside, have the odd shot? Skinned a few people then crossed the ball poorly...

Well he tested Van Der Sar in the first-half and caused players like Carrick to take him down at the expense of a booking in order to stop him. I think we were fortunate the other Barca players didn't have the heart that he showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ROFL, were you at his birth and saw his first "Dribble"??

Come on now thats just funny :D

I was just expecting more from Ronaldo from the two games. I really wanted him to step up and show his stuff and I don't think he did so.

I only criticise him because I know he's capable of more. I do like him and I know both of us will want him to blow either Liverpool or Chelsea away in the final.

Well he tested Van Der Sar in the first-half and caused players like Carrick to take him down at the expense of a booking in order to stop him. I think we were fortunate the other Barca players didn't have the heart that he showed.

It's all well and good passing the ball side to side in the midfield and beautiful to watch...but you can't have it both ways...tactics need to be implemented...if Man Utd matched the way Barca played and went gung ho...they probably would have lost...probably...

Having said all that, Messi was still at fault for Scholes goal which is a pretty significant fault considering he didn't score or create a goal for anyone else...

AND...United still had the best chances and it's terrible they didn't get another goal...because they could have and should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Messi wasn't at fault for the goal. It was Zambrotta's piss poor attempted clearance that gave it away. As people have said with Ronaldo, Messi's role in the team is not defensive. He is not told to track back so how can the goal be his fault? He shouldn't have been as deep as he was in the first place and Scholes should have been picked up by one of the THREE central midfielders, not the right wing forward.

If you look at the goal again, ,Messi just stopped running with scholes...it's not a case of tracking back...it's a case of common sense as a player...but whatever, it's a stupid way to play and there not good enough to play that way this season.

Advertisement