Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Barca (2nd leg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I believe that is a position that Rooney is well used to.

Really? Are you used to that position too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca (Barca fans)
    eZe, I'd be surprised to see us hold a high line against you except when we are in possession. In general we'll sit deep, that's how we defend against good passing teams. When Barca get the ball, we'll revert to the same type of play we did against you in the Nou Camp. The difference will be when we have the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca
    I just hope we can catch you out somewhere in between. Otherwise I dont see us getting much joy out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

yeah just get the feeling this will be like the Real Madrid game a few seasons back...

Yeah I am hoping for that as well. If there is an early goal either way then I think it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eZe^ wrote: »
    I just hope we can catch you out somewhere in between. Otherwise I dont see us getting much joy out of the game.

Set pieces are still the biggest threat against Barca for united...

Barca are terrible at defending set pieces...

Either way, i hope whoever wins deserves to.

Man Utd (United fans)
    PHB wrote: »
    The difference will be when we have the ball.

This is blind faith based not on whats gone on in recent games but Im hopin we pull a performance out of nowhere!
    cheesedude wrote: »
    Either way, i hope whoever wins deserves to.

F**k that, Ill take a flukey win all day long!!

Right Im off this till sometime Wednesday evening, got an early boat to catch to Holyhead, 6 am to make it to Manchester for a 7.45 pm game....treck!

Anyway, if United defend like the they did at the Camp Nou then they can win the game IF they use the damned ball this time. If they dont use the ball properly (Michael Carrick) then I dont see us keeping Barca out for a second time in a row. Fingers crossed. Should be a cracking atmosphere anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Barca (Barca fans)
    Have faith

that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Barca (Barca fans)
    One time please God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another 2.45am kick off for me. Barca better not let me down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Man Utd (United fans)
    I have a feeling barca will win.henry to score

2-1 barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Has there been any news on Rooney and Vidic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Barca
    Last i heard both are still under question will they play,i supose we wont know anything before they give final rosters before game tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

if Rooney's out then Utd will lose then... :(

Barca
    Well not surely lose but its gonna be harder definitly to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Last i heard both are still under question will they play,i supose we wont know anything before they give final rosters before game tonight

How bad was Rooney when he went off on Saturday? He seemed to play on for a bit after the injury which gives me hope that he might be back for tonight.

• Advertisement

Barca
    Well he got injured after he scored goal,he was playing some more time before he went off,thats same injury he had against Blackburn too.Thats why i hope its nothing bad coz if he managed to be fit for Chelsea of that injury he got in game with Blackburn i hope he can also for todays game,although its definitly something he needs to cure for some longer period,maybe injections tonight?.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Man Utd (United fans)
    Looking at the 1st leg, I would have to peg Barca for this one.

Should Utd progress from this, its imperative that Ferguson does not tinker with the formation / positions too much. While he did against Roma and got away with it(you may even say it worked), it backfired horribly in the Camp Nou.

Other than that, its a case of "GET IN THEIR FACES" for every pass - if a goalie gets a back pass, make the 20 meters to let him know your there! there was too much standing off from Utd in 1st leg - barca were complete opposite.

On the other hand, one might argue that Utd are running on empty, physically and mentally a spent force - are they hitting the wall that Arsenal hit only 4 weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Possibly, but maybe that's why he rested Evra, Scholes, Tevez and Ronaldo at the weekend, so they'd be fresh and fully fit for lostsa runnig and pressing tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Barca (Barca fans)
    I think the last time Untied played well was the 4-0 game against Villa a month ago, since then there have been poor performances against Boro (A), Roma(H), Arsenal (H), Blackburn (A), Barcelona (A) and Chelsea (A), they've taken 5 league points from a possible 12, which shows the strain on the squad coming into the final hurdle.

They are certainly in a slump right now, but are more than capable of rectifying that, but equally it would be unsurprising to see another poor performance tonight.

It just depends if that poor performance will see them win, which I think is possible and is as likely as Barcelona producing a good performance in the 1st leg, considering Barce have been in terrible form and are usually a defensive shambles.

This kind of game will come down to match winners or mistakes (or both), and I think Barcelona have more match winners than United.

I predict an early goal for United from a set piece, but Barcelona to get at least 1...

Barca (Barca fans)
    How was beating Arsenal 2-1 at home a poor performance?

They are in a slump in terms of results, but imo it's just been away performances. At home they've done very well, and also Roma Home was a walk in the park cause we had already won (Ronaldo being rested)

I've no idea what's gona happen tonight, but I think we can win, so :)
    Either way, I think it'll be a great game of football.

• Advertisement

Barca (Barca fans)
    I was referring to the performance, not the results, which were not the typical free flowing attacking style which United had earlier in the season (and the type that spanked Villa 4-0 only a month ago)

Nothing wrong with winning ugly though, the game last week was good to watch, all it needed was a few goals and United holding onto the ball better, I think we'll see that tonight.

I don't think it's possible for some of the players to just turn it on, especially against Barce in the CL semi's, but we'll see.

I hope United go through, and if Liverpool can win tomorrow, sets up something amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I think Manu will win, if they play the way Manu can play. The only doubt in my mind is that they will have to attack, and put on a performance, something that has been lacking in the last few games, and Barca (if Henry starts) will score.

I don't think Manu are bottling it at the mo, but if they do go on to lose or draw this game, it'll be game on for Chelsea in league.

I'm hoping for a Barca win, but I can see Manu shading it in OT.

Barca (Barca fans)
    I thought it was a good performace to be honest.

I'm still kinda optimistic about the season, if we win the next 4 games, we'll win the double. Not a bad place to be in. Just gotta perform.

I would say however, I think if Rooney is out, we'll go out. I'd be utterly shocked if we still managed to win, and if Rooney is out, we'll play an ugly game of football. He provides everything for United in terms of shape.

You'll know if Fergie is going for it based on one simple thing, whether or not Ronaldo is on the right wing or up front.

Barca (Barca fans)
    If Rooney is out, Surely he'd go with Tevez up front with Ronaldo on the right and probably Giggs/Park on the left.

A lot will depend on the fitness of Rooney & Vidic, it looks like they'll be giving every chance to play though

Barca (Barca fans)
    Vidic isn't hugely important imo, like he'd be great to have, but Vidic's main strength is his winning headers, which won't be as huge an issue against Barca. He's much more important against West Ham.

Rooney out means we'll be significantly worse attacking wise. If he is out, we might see Ronaldo up front, as he's actually better up front on his own than Tevez is.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Barca
    Should these threads not have ‘Barca – (United Fans)’ and ‘United – (Barca Fans)’-type options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Should these threads not have ‘Barca – (United Fans)’ and ‘United – (Barca Fans)’-type options?
    I was thinking of asking the same question tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Man Utd (United fans)
    Well he got injured after he scored goal,he was playing some more time before he went off,thats same injury he had against Blackburn too.

Rooney was holding his hip go a good while before he scored the goal. At least the preceding ten/fifteen minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I say Rooney will play its the same old fergie mind games.

Only real doubt is Vidic i mean look at him when he tried to stand up on saturday, he will still have concussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Barca (Barca fans)
    Rooney will play and united will win. The worst Man United performance of the season so far was enough to get a 0-0 draw in Camp Nou.....enough said.

I'm also predicting Dunphy will be full of praises for Rooney, Scholes, Evra, (Vidic if he plays), Anderson and dare I say it....Ronaldo :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Barca
    United for me...

I know Barca do travel well but I just cant see past United. Possibly 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

For me I can't call it.

But if United show up and play the football we all know they can and still get beaten, then fair enough the better side went true, I'd be disappointed but at least we went out giving it a proper go.

Barca
    3 more hours,anyone nervous?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Barca (Barca fans)
    Boggles wrote: »
    For me I can't call it.

But if United show up and play the football we all know they can and still get beaten, then fair enough the better side went true, I'd be disappointed but at least we went out giving it a proper go.

Already you can't say they gave it a proper go due to their dismal performance in the Nou Camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Barca (Barca fans)
    Headin to the pub with the lads now, cant wait to get to the stadium!!!!! ahhhh im soooo excited!!!!!!

gonna get there as early as possible to contribute to the singing and atmosphere! the team needs our support tonight!

Have faith, Believe!!!!!

See you all later on, hopefully in good spirits!

and to echo Boggles, if we go out and play our best and get beaten then we have nothing to be ashamed of, we can hold our heads up high and say we gave it our all

I am still very confident of the win

Barca
    Cheers mate,enjoy there,give us some sign so we can notice you there in crowd:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Barca (Barca fans)
    Can't beat the anticipation of a big game

I think we'll just do it to!

Man Utd (United fans)
    My guess for today is 1-1.

Barca
    7-1 for United:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Barca (Barca fans)
    Wonder will Dunphy play it safe tonight before the game about Ronaldo or put himself on the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Man Utd (United fans)
    Barcelona to shade it. Score draw is probably going to be the final result. I can see it being fairly quiet and tetchy until Barcelona score first, then that lights a fire under Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca
    Boggles wrote: »
    For me I can't call it.

Sums it up for me too. Although I haven't been nervous all day thanks to GTA 4 stealing my attention. Im bricking it now though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Barca
    7-1 United:D

Barca
    KERPAL wrote: »
    7-1 United:D

I see we agree about result:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Man Utd (United fans)
    i feel yet another United semi-final bottling speciality is going to be served up tonight :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Man Utd (United fans)
    I really do think United will mess this up tonight. They have to go back to the way they were playing 3-4 weeks ago, go out and attack Barca and they will definitely win. Sit back and hope to counter and i cant see them getting a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm not putting any bets on cos I don't think it's fair to expect United to win when they're under a hex!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Barca
    Unless Ferguson tries to get tactical, United will win and win well. 3 or 4 - 1 methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Man Utd (United fans)
    2 sources on BBC saying that Gary Neville is doing some pretty serious warm-up routine on his own on the pitch at the moment?

Could he possibly play or am I just going mad with anxiety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Boom!

Man. United

* 1 Van der Sar
    * 3 Evra
    * 4 Hargreaves
    * 5 Ferdinand
    * 6 Brown
    * 7 Cristiano Ronaldo
    * 13 Park
    * 16 Carrick
    * 17 Nani
    * 18 Scholes