Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Barca (2nd leg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Dunphy was shot down big time tonight. Didn't speak for about 10 mins. Anyway delighted for scholes to be able to play in a CL final. How sweet was it him being the one to send them there. Browne superb MOTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stekelly wrote: »
    Remember that when it's time to slag Kuyt for exactly the same thing., cos thats how he preforms in every game yet constantly gets called ****e.

Kuyt was bought as a goal scoring striker - park was bought as a tireless running midfelder with some attacking ability.

Different things expected of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tauren wrote: »
    Kuyt was bought as a goal scoring striker - park was bought as a tireless running midfelder with some attacking ability.

He's not played as one though so the comparison is valid.

Henry was bought as a winger originally, does that mean he was a failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

No point arguing over something that Dunphy said - best to just ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

KERPAL did you sneak in specially for tonight?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Remember that when it's time to slag Kuyt for exactly the same thing., cos thats how he preforms in every game yet constantly gets called ****e.

Personally the reason i would consider him poor is that he came as a forward and couldnt cut it and is basically playing cause of that energy. I'd never criticise him for it, he probably has one of the best work attitudes in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca (Barca fans)
    I think anyone who says Barca were poor today doesn't understand football. Barca were as good as they could be against a United team that defended from the front non-stop for 90 minutes, even ****ing Ronaldo was closing down defenders.

Messi was a cut above Barca, but ultimately he couldn't get any final ball.

We put in an incredible team performance today. It'd be tough to single anyone out, but for me Tevez and Ferdinand were just unreal, like absolutely amazing. Without Rooney Tevez had to step up and hold up the ball and he was amazing at it. Ferdinand kept Eto in his pocket all night.

Thought Ronaldo did a job for us up front, and the goal ultimately came from him being double marked and a mistake by Zambrotta. I can't fault his performance tonight.

Nani is Ronaldo 3 years ago, it's so similar it's hilarious. He could have won us the game tonight, let's hope in the final he puts those chances he gets away.

Stekelly you're right, Park and Kuyt are so similar. I do think Kuyt is a better finisher while Park has a better first touch and pass, but they offer similar things, but are limiting in other ways. Park isn't first choice though, that's the key.

Attack for the final has to be

--Nani----Rooney----Tevez--
    Ronaldo

Paul Scholes deserves to be in the final, and he got us there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He's not played as one though so the comparison is valid.

Henry was bought as a winger originally, does that mean he was a failure?

No he wasn't. He was a forward at Monaco under Wenger. Juve played him as a winger, he failed, Wenger bought him and played him as a forward. He was bought as a forward.

PHB wrote: »
    I think anyone who says Barca were poor today doesn't understand football. Barca were as good as they could be against a United team that defended from the front non-stop for 90 minutes, even ****ing Ronaldo was closing down defenders.

Barce were poor, there I said it. Their passing was muck, their crossing was muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Barca (Barca fans)
    The anti-United nit-picking posts in this thread is spectacular.

So, as a United fans we are supposed to critique every mis placed pass and shot?

Lets see Liverpool fans keep their knickers on should they win tomorrow. Old Rednose celebrating like hes won it. We just knocked Barca out in a nail biter, i think he is entitled to a jig.

Christ sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Man Utd (United fans)
    Congrats to United.

I thought Barca were piss poor in the second half.

All English final will be fun.

7k \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca
    KERPAL wrote: »
    Why Dont Barca **** Off Home

Hope the Man Utd fans over in the game don't have this attitude, Ive a good few friends over at the game and I wouldn't want to see them get in any unnecessary confrontations.

Anyway, regardless of what happened tonight. I hope ye win the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

"Old Rednose celebrating like hes won it"

Yes what a FARCE of a post by THANX4THEFISH.

How bitter are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Glory glory man utd glory glory man utd... and the reds go marching on on on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antipicating a man utd liverpool final ...... will nedd to take the thursday off TBH :D

Barca (Barca fans)
    eZe^ wrote: »
    Hope the Man Utd fans over in the game don't have this attitude, Ive a good few friends over at the game and I wouldn't want to see them get in any unnecessary confrontations.

Anyway, regardless of what happened tonight. I hope ye win the final.

We dont actually.

I have to say i cant wear these boxers again, due to every time Messi got the ball...

He was the only one that wanted it though. Him and Puyol.

Cracking tie. Well competed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't agree there. How man misplaced passes did the likes of Deco, Iniesta and even Xavi have tonight? Far too many.

How many times did Messi try for a one-two only to have the return ball played ten yards in front of him?

These are basic aspects of the game that Barca were lacking tonight. Yes United defended well but Barca couldn't even do the basics right.

stepbar wrote: »
    Glory glory man utd glory glory man utd... and the reds go marching on on on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barca (Barca fans)
    Barce were poor, there I said it. Their passing was muck, their crossing was muck.

60% possession with something like 82% pass completion? They never cross, never have been able to. The fact that they had to do that was cause United closed them down.

United played how they play against teams that pass better than them, close them down sitting very deep. Arsenal couldn't break us down when we did that. Neither could Barca. There's no shame in that and it's not really Barcas fault that they are going up against probably the best defence in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Barca
    kerash wrote: »
    I still thinks it's Uniteds to lose. I dont think barca will score:pac:

I hate to say I told ya so, but you know:p Teves was MOTM for me, worked hard all night. Ronaldo, on the other hand was a lazy git. Fair play to scholes his still has something going for him!!! United puttin pressure on Barca was the key and although there a great passing side, that doesnt win games. Enjoyable game tho.

I'm off to polish up my crystal ball, for another prediction tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Barca
    UNITEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They bloody did it!!!!Great performance tonight,i think they showed they are now definitly out of crisis they were in last couple of games!!!!!Great game tonight,deserved to win definitly,now to Moscow!!!!Double crown is close!!!!
    Barca really played very bad tonight,Messi is the king,onlyone played well,maybe Puyol too,respect to those guys!!!!Brown,man that was game of the season,maybe even more!!!Tevez,not bad!!!Scholes my good old mate,LEGEND!!!!!
    Give some beers to everyone this needs to be celebrated!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I must admit when I saw the team sheet my heart dropped. On reflection it was the only team he could have played, Anderson has to be fecked, Fletcher isn't fit, so the only choice was Nani or Giggs.

I'm glad but not surprised Scholes came up with the goal, alot of people mostly united fans on here had him written off, even today people were calling for him not to start, well he was Uniteds best player in Barcalona and he was the difference between the 2 sides tonight.

Class certainly is permanent!

He plays on the LEEEEFT

He plays on the RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

That boy ronaldo makes Barca look sh*te

60% possession with something like 82% pass completion? They never cross, never have been able to. The fact that they had to do that was cause United closed them down.

United played how they play against teams that pass better than them, close them down sitting very deep. Arsenal couldn't break us down when we did that. Neither could Barca. There's no shame in that and it's not really Barcas fault that they are going up against probably the best defence in the world.

They had 65% possetion last week too, means **** all. I remember 1 cross hitting a Barce head, Henrys shot. The final ball was to a Utd player evey time on the ground too.

Knocking a ball about at the back and in the middle of the park might give you good pass completion rates but it doesnt win games, or Arsenal would be staring down the barrel of a quadrouple about now.

Barca (Barca fans)
    I thought Ronaldo wasnt great tonight. Definatley surpassed by Messi, i cant deny that.

Anyway settle down, WHATS THE DEAL WITH EVRA?????? he better be ok.

Who sing of victory,
    Of games that brought us glory,
    From Newcastle to Torquay,
    Where sixty thousand voices,
    Roar us on to victory,
    We will follow United,
    Hello, Hello, we are the Busby Boys,
    We will follow United.
    Whether we're across the sea,
    Or whether we're at home,
    It matters not we follow,
    To all corners of the globe,
    We wear the colours proudly,
    The black, the white, the red,
    We will follow United.
    We will follow United.
    And now we're back in Europe,
    The feeling's ****ing great,
    We'll try to emulate that team,
    Of 1968,
    We'll win the Cup, have no fear,
    And then we'll drink your beer,
    And we will follow United...

He plays on the LEEEEFT

Ehhhhhh no he didn't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Barca (Barca fans)
    He plays on the LEEEEFT

LOL @ that. ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sherifu wrote: »
    All English final will be fun.
    Am I right in thinking this'll be the first time?

Don't think I've any nails left, could only imagine what the final will be like.

Absolutely delighted. And for Paul Scholes in particular, really deserves it.

And if you are a City fan,
    Surrender or you'll die,

Seriously, how much shite do you plan on posting tonight?

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

offending piece of song removed. apologies.

Plenty of postcount +++++'s for kaizersose tonight. I'm surprised he doesnt save time and just +1 everyones posts instead of copying and pasting.

Barca (Barca fans)
    The final ball was to a Utd player evey time on the ground too.

Because United were everywhere. Same as Arsenal against us when we beat them 4-0. Wasn't cause they were ****. It's because we beat them the only way there is, defend from the front for 90 minutes, then hit them on the break.

offending piece of song removed. apologies.

It's in the song twice.

Because United were everywhere. Same as Arsenal against us when we beat them 4-0. Wasn't cause they were ****. It's because we beat them the only way there is, defend from the front for 90 minutes, then hit them on the break.

Well tonight was Barce. Balls were bouncing up off players having bad first touches. Simpel balls with both players in plaenty of space were beign put 5 yards away from them and going for throws. Through ball were far too heavy. Messi went around Scholed on the edge of the box then rolled the ball on the ground to the neareast Utd player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Barca were played off the pitch in both legs. They never looked like scoring with the lack of final ball.

In a way, this was the real final as I can't see either Chelsea or even Liverpool stopping Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

Barca
    He plays on the LEEEEFT

ahahahahahaha:D:D:D:D:D:D

Plenty of postcount +++++'s for kaizersose tonight. I'm surprised he doesnt save time and just +1 everyones posts instead of copying and pasting.

lol says the guy with nearly 10,000 posts i couldnt give a fúck about post counts. just celebrating a fantastic night for United.

It's in the song twice.

fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Barca (Barca fans)
    It's amazing to think that of both semi-finals, Utd vs Barca was the one decided by just the one goal.

I certainly didn't think that would be the case.

lol says the guy with nearly 10,000 posts i couldnt give a fúck about post counts. just celebrating a fantastic night for United.

Not 1 of my pots has ever been a copy and paste of someone elses, so I dont see how my post count is relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could those who are **** off please do so on the Utd thread and leave this thread er clean for discussion of the game and teams.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Man Utd (United fans)
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking this'll be the first time?
    Was thinking the same thing. I think it is.

mike65 wrote: »
    Could those who are **** off please do so on the Utd thread and leave this thread er clean for discussion of the game and teams.

Mike.

ahh a bitter 'pool fan arrives.

Hard to walk with that chip on your shoulder mike?

hallelujah wrote: »

In a way, this was the real final as I can't see either Chelsea or even Liverpool stopping Ronaldo.

Well he did a good job of stopping himself over the 2 legs so unless that changes it wont be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Obviously a battling performance from United, rarely clicked as a team in an attacking sense and never really got hold of the ball, but I still thought pretty much everyone played pretty well for United tonight.

VDS, despite a few dodgy kicks and one spilled ball, was typically solid. Didn't have anything really difficult to do but he nevertheless saw a lot of the game. Lesser goalkeepers might have made a costly error but he stayed solid.

Hargreaves continued his good form at RB, though both Abidal and Iniesta had off days, granted. He was always energetic in attack, too - perfect for this type of game.

Ferdinand was Ferdinand - amazingly reliable. Marshalled the defence and sweeped up everything. On current form he's the best CB in Europe IMO.

Brown was as good as Vidic at his best - immense. MOTM.

Evra was Evra, got caught upfield a little to often for comfort, but Messi got nothing out of him and was constantly forced infield. Hope his injury's not serious.

Park delivered a great performance, so energetic and hounded Barca constantly. Limited in attack, but that's not really what he's there for.

Scholes didn't play as well as he did in the Nou Camp, but he did alright. What a goal too - hero, no one deserves a final as much as him.

Carrick was good in defence, neither him nor Scholes got hold of the game but they weren't really equipped to. The odd decent pass forward but his job was defensive.

Nani was poor, came up with some dangerous moments and was energetic enough in defence, but it really wasn't his type of game. Decent set piece delivery.

Ronaldo will get criticism from his detractors, but I thought he did well. Like Nani, it wasn't his type of game, but he was intelligent in his play, didn't try too much and was involved in all our most dangerous moments. Messi won the individual battle, but like someone said, Ronaldo's in the final. A mature performance.

Tevez was a hero, hassled everything and won so much ball. Looked dangerous in attack as well, but only really got one proper chance. Still, second to Brown for MOTM.

As for Alex Ferguson, I think he was content to let Barca have most of the game. He didn't pick a team to win the ball and control the tempo. Obviously his plan was to hassle Barca all over the pitch and hope to nick a goal from a set piece, a counter attack or a moment of magic from Ronaldo or Tevez, then trust the defence to handle whatever Barcelona come up with. In the event, it was Scholes that came up with the magic, though Ronaldo and Tevez occasionally threatened too. I still don't know if that was the most intelligent tactic with Anderson sitting on the bench, and I think we were lucky that Eto'o, Iniesta and Deco played poorly (even still there were a few close calls). But hey, we're in the Champions League final so I couldn't really give a ****!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Invincible

Who was your man of the match,Tevez or Brown ?

ahh a bitter 'pool fan arrives.

Hard to walk with that chip on your shoulder mike?

Have you ever had a conversation with someone where a 3rd person was standing there saying "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala"? Thats what this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The stat of Barca not scoring in over 6 hours of football was very surprising.

Barca
    Brown-respect

Have you ever had a conversation with someone where a 3rd person was standing there saying "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala"? Thats what this is.

:rolleyes:

No, to be honest I haven't. Your anti-United comments are a source of total amusement to everyone in this thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement