Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs. Liverpool (2nd leg)

• 27-04-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not too sure, I think Liverpool could nick this, I think Chelsea will be absolutely wrecked from their United game.

That said, Chelsea against United looked a different team to the team playing so far this year. Riise own goal seems to really have upped their game. Also Ballack is on a one man quest to win the CL and League.

Who is going to the final? 72 votes

Chelsea
    0%
    Liverpool
    69%
    PHBMemnochPepe LeFritsLafortezzaLizardKingQuball15Dr BolouswkiAPMZENERT-b0n3FwagglePal_blank_UnearthlyBadabingziggy445279.ieA Dub in GlasgoMr.Nice Guyntlbell 50 votes
    Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    18%
    mewsoBardChongleulerMarqBolBillcopaceticballroom blitzheyjude[Deleted User]Mr Alankerashdelija_sever029 13 votes
    Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    12%
    V9zAbbogrowlershowryselpherMad DogDerKaiserjackdawBubs101 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    Chelsea will be more tired after this game with United,personally i preffer Liverpool to go to final more than Chelsea,i think they can use the thing Chelsea is exchausted after yesterdays game and the thing they dont have nothing to calculate and they need to win,Chelsea will be probably calculating to play on draw at first and to look for a chance to score a goal and resolve the thing completely,somehow i feel Liverpool can make this but i am not sure why....Maybe coz they have that complex of losing semi finals and Liverpool is we all know great in this cup system....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I can't see Benitez being undone in Europe over two legs, least not by Grant, Chelsea got away with one last time out, could see a 1-1 and extra-time and penos, in which case Liverpool ought to win...!

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    Liverpool for me. Theyll pull it out of the bag. Ive wanted the United vs Liverpool final and strangely enough Im more confident of Liverpool making it right now than United :( Hope Im wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool
    But if the Chelsea that just played United turn up against Liverpool, I can't see Liverpool getting anything from this tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liverpool
    Chelsea to got through.

• Advertisement

I dunno, I think Liverpool's defensive style is more effective against Chelsea - if they pressed them like they did at Anfield (until they got tired and the game started opening up) I can't see Chelsea winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It'll go to penalties imo. Liverpool to nick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Liverpool
    if Mikel plays Chelsea will win, If makelele plays it will be up to Ballack, it is rediculous that essien wont make the midfield, just imagine

Essien
    Lapmard
    Ballack
    J.Cole

Anelka
    Droga

not going to happen though, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Pool havent a chance it pains me to say. The OG threw them out.

Liverpool havent scored in SB in over 4 years iirc. Chelsea havent lost at home in years. For all the talk of Liverpools European form they have never scored against Chelsea here in recent years CL.

Gerrard- generally average to poor in recent CL games. Alot of sloppy shots on goal with not enough power.

Torres- never mind the road, even at home most of his goals are in the kop end. Great player dont get me wrong, but unproven.

Babel- has his moments, suffers from poor delivery on occasion.

Kuyt and Pennant seem to be rediscovering some form, but meh, I wouldnt bank on pulling it off. Simply, from the above there is nothing to suggest this is the team that will end Chelseas unbeaten run.

1-0 to Chelsea or else a goaless draw. Only chance Liverpool have is if they are given a penalty. If it happens Id bank on them to win a final shootout.

But it wont.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

shane86 wrote: »

Torres- never mind the road, even at home most of his goals are in the kop end. Great player dont get me wrong, but unproven.

This bit of your post for some reason cancels out the rest as having any value whatsoever imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liverpool
    If Ballack plays in the same man-on-a-mission way he did yesterday then Chelsea will do it. He was fantastic yesterday and looks really up for the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

spockety wrote: »
    This bit of your post for some reason cancels out the rest as having any value whatsoever imho.

You think he has stunning away form?

Good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Chelsea havent lost at home in years. .

We did lose to BArca at home the time we went out in the second round if my memory serves me well but I think there is little chance of that happening on wednesday. I don't think being tires after the Man Utd game is going to affect the players. It's 4 days (and when you consider the difference in time 4 and 9 hours).They are proffessionals and they will recover.

If anything the Man Utd game should have done is some good. Moral will be sky high now for Chelsea where as most of Liverpool's moral should be slightly subdued considering the last time most of the team on wednesday will have played was the heartbreaking game at Anfield.

I think it will be 2-0 for the following reasons.
    1. We are the better team on paper and on form
    2. We are at home
    3. Torres isn't at home and thus he has a much smaller chance of scoring (I seem to remember that the clear majority of his goals come at home) which means Liverpool have a far far smaller chance of scoring.
    4. Grant has got Ballack firing on all cylinders for the first time since he joined and when he's on form, Ballack is the best central midfielder in the premiership.
    5.The miniture flags will create a daunting atmosphere
    6.Benitez won't be able to use his old tricks of unsettling the team by rowing with the manager. If he tries Grant will take the higher road as always.
    7. Liverpool's defence is slow, very slow but Drogba, Cole and Kalou are not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Obviously Liverpool have to score but beyond that who wins this will almost certainly depend on one thing - who scores first. If its Chelsea its pretty much done and dusted. Chelsea will soak up pressure and get a killer second on the break I expect. If Liverpool open the scoring then its game on, Chelsea will have to get the equaliser and Liverpool must exploit the space that will become availible.

I'd start with Yossi or Riise on the left (Arbeloa at LB), Kuyt down the right. Then throw on Babel and Pennant and look to use thier pace against defenders who will be feeling it by 65-70 mins.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Liverpool
    This is avery unfortunate predicaments for Liverpool. The one time they go out, and really impress for an entire CL knock out campaign, outplaying Chelsea for 90 mins, they get undone by a stupid own goal, and when they play very very conservative and horribly, they go through to finals. Its a little ironic I guess, Im sorry to say that Grant will make the CL final. Jose will be disgusted, take over Barcelona just in time for the final and beat Chelsea 3-0.

Ok, the last bit is fantasy, but I do feel Chelsea will go through unfortunately. Ill be rooting for the 'pool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Pool will have a completely rested team and I fancy them to score first and second in a game against a jaded Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I think Chelsea will go through. Confidence will be high after yeasterday and they will feel the double is there. Ballack to step up and be counted again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think a lot will depend on the referee of this one. John Terry got away with a few sly fouls on Torres in the first leg and Drogba's diving antics are beyond annoying at this stage.

I fancy Liverpool to score but I think Chelsea will get one themselves. It's a bit of a lottery if it goes to penalties. One thing is for sure, I will be making sure my finger nails are well trimmed before kick-off :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

As that last poster said, it all depends on the ref. He was a disgrace at Anfield last week for bothteams. I definitely think we will get through though, even if it takes penalties to do so.

You think he has stunning away form?

Good for you.

I never said that, but to say he is unproven is a ridiculous assertion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I fancy the pool to go through, (slightly biased maybe). I did predict a 2-0 win at Anfield, and looking at the way the game panned out, it was anything BUT a 1-1 game. Liverpool dominated bar one or two chelsea half chances. I watched the Man U game and I feel, (even though Ballack was immence), that it was more United being poor than Chelsea being amazing. Don't get me wrong, Chelsea played very well but United never held possession due to a weak midfield so they never had a chance up front. That said, I think Masher and Alonso, having way more ability than Carrick, Anderson and Fletcher will be able to do the job.
    Kuyt is now the most annoying player to the opposition. He simply NEVER gives up. Constantly putting players under pressure regardless of how likely he is to win the ball. You can't buy that and I feel he will, once again, be a key player in this tie, (never ever thought I'd say that with confidence, but delighted to be able to:)).
    If chelsea score first I still would never rule the pool out. One goal from the men in Red will make Chelski **** a brick and they could easily concede another.
    One thing's for sure, this tie is FAR from over!! C'mon the pool.

Liverpool have the players to frustrate Chelsea, plus a rested first team could work in their favour (although Chelsea fans could argue that they have the momentum after the weekend result vs Man U) Torres caused Chelsea problems last time out and I'd imagine that he'll do the same on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    34thmin Gerrard 0-1
    85thmin Drogba 1-1
    Penalty kicks 5-4 for Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Liverpool
    I'd bet on Chelsea going through 0-0 but I don't like to bet against Liverpool. I think we'll rely on a big Chelsea mistake or misfortune to score, and after that gift for Rooney the other day, they'll be wary.

Of course, I'm still hopeful the Pool will do it the non-Liverpool way with Torres and Gerrard netting in the first ten minutes and me being able to actually relax and enjoy a great Liverpool victory without all the drama and excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

yesterday's result will have done a lot for the morale of the chelsea squad and for their overall confidence, terry, ballack and maka will all be driving them on. Liverpools heads are down, if they can leak goals at birmingham i don't see mcuh hope for them at the bridge, chelsea need to attack from the off and wrap this one up.

Unlike Jose I don't believe grant has the tactical wherewithal to try and defend a lead effectivley, so we'll have to play to win.

We do need joe cole to up his game a lot to keep the scousers well back.

2-0 Chelsea. Drogba and Cole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Liverpool
    This post has been deleted.

Liverpool
    I think if Lampard doesn't play Chelsea have a much better chance. Ballack and Essien without Lampard in there really up their game.

PHB wrote: »
    I think if Lampard doesn't play Chelsea have a much better chance. Ballack and Essien without Lampard in there really up their game.
    That's a good point actually. I had forgotten about Essien and he was a loss for them in the first leg. Ferreira was awful, mind you he's been awful anytime I've seen him play so that's nothing new.

growler wrote: »
    Liverpools heads are down, if they can leak goals at birmingham i don't see mcuh hope for them at the bridge,

I'll just let that stand for others to gasp at :pac:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Melion wrote: »
    As that last poster said, it all depends on the ref. He was a disgrace at Anfield last week for bothteams. I definitely think we will get through though, even if it takes penalties to do so.

And the ref was also a disgrace in both Arsenal matches. Liverpool got the decisions both times.

Liverpool will be more rested, that said I was impressed with Chelsea on Saturday, the home factor is also very important, I fancy Chelsea to win it in 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

yesterday's result will have done a lot for the morale of the chelsea squad and for their overall confidence, terry, ballack and maka will all be driving them on. Liverpools heads are down, if they can leak goals at birmingham i don't see mcuh hope for them at the bridge, chelsea need to attack from the off and wrap this one up.

B team played at Birmingham and the free kick they scored was a joke :eek:

Liverpool
    IMO Chelsea's defence is weak without Essien at RB. If Ferreira is playing there they should target it.

This is all about how the teams set up.

Chelsea can sit back and defend. Liverpool have to score. If Chelsea are able to be the defensive team the entire game, I can see them hitting Liverpool from a set piece or on a break.

If Liverpool do score first however, I can see them winning the game 2-0 or 3-0. United were able to break against Chelsea 4-5 times yesterday, and were it not from some very wasteful stuff from Nani (i.e. had Ronaldo been on the pitch) it would have been a different result. They are vulnerable on the break, and imo Torres and Gerrard will be able to find a way past them.

But they have to score first to be able to do that.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And the ref was also a disgrace in both Arsenal matches. Liverpool got the decisions both times.
    :rolleyes: Isn't there another thread somewhere that deals with the Liverpool v Arsenal fixtures?
    Liverpools heads are down, if they can leak goals at birmingham i don't see mcuh hope for them at the bridge
    :confused: Did you happen to see the Liverpool line-up or did you just notice the score? It was the B team that took to the field and with the final Champions League spot pretty much sewn up, they didn't have all that much to stress themselves out for. It was such a non-entity of a game Pennant was man of the match for God's sake :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    I think Chelsea will win this 2-0. Liverpool have to go for it and Chelsea should be able to hold firm and expose Liverpool on the counter.

By the way with regards to Benitez...

March 21st
    Liverpool's manager accuses Ferguson of trying to influence referee

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/mar/21/newsstory.sport9

"Ferguson is clever, that is clear," said Benítez. "After a difficult game [Portsmouth] he was talking about referees and before an important game [Liverpool] he is talking about protecting Ronaldo. The referees, though, have experience and they will know Ferguson. Sunday's referee has experience and he is strong enough.

April 27th
    Rafa - Beware of Drogba drama

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_3483075,00.html

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has demanded the match officials in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg at Chelsea clamp down on Didier Drogba.

Benitez has revealed he has compiled a video montage of what he perceives to be Drogba's theatrics in the 19 previous encounters between his Liverpool side and Chelsea.

The Liverpool boss arrived in England in 2004, the same year Drogba joined Chelsea from Marseille, and he has been angered by the Blues striker's tendency to go to ground.

"With Drogba, it's important to have a good referee," said Benitez.

"You can't do anything, but I will say it because it was so clear. He is amazing because he is massive.

"It's very impressive. I have a lot of clips of him from over the years and he surprises me. After four years, I expected it."

Now who's trying to influence referees? Pure stinking hypocrisy from Benitez as usual.

Hey Rafa, if you want to show the referee some clips of players who like to dive, why don't you show the referee some clips of Gerrard? Here's some good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqjx6IyWxjo

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

my prediction is that drogba will spend 26 minutes on the ground, 39 mins complaining, 10 minutes flopping around on the ground like a fish and then taken off due to him being a big fairy

pool to win on pens (again:pac:) methinks

• Advertisement

Now who's trying to influence referees? Pure stinking hypocrisy from Benitez as usual.

Maybe he figures .. if you can't beat them, join them..?

"you know my ideas, for sure, Fergie talks and talks and always is talking
    about Referees, and for sure United win. I think he is clever no? I am
    also clever, so these are things I will try, for sure.".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

*gasp* (at growler)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Unlike Jose I don't believe grant has the tactical wherewithal to try and defend a lead effectivley, so we'll have to play to win.

We do need joe cole to up his game a lot to keep the scousers well back.

2-0 Chelsea. Drogba and Cole.

:eek:
    I'm probably the 10th person to comment on this ridiculous statement, so I'll keep it short.
    Did you see the difference in the team that played in that game and the CL game? About 9 players pretty much.
    It's always handy to have a filter between what is thought and what is typed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Blah blah blah blah blah

Now who's trying to influence referees? Pure stinking hypocrisy from Benitez as
    usual.

I think he is doing what all good managers do and use the techniques that more successful managers do. furguson has been doing it for years and now Rafa seeing that it worked for Sir Alc in the United game is giving it a go.

BTW I cannot believe you are posting videos of Gerrard diving as a United fan you should not have too far to look to see masterclasses in diving :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Liverpool
    Chelsea are a better team than Liverpool and realistically should go through.

• Advertisement

I think Chelsea will win this 2-0. Liverpool have to go for it and Chelsea should be able to hold firm and expose Liverpool on the counter.

By the way with regards to Benitez...

March 21st

April 27th

Hey Rafa, if you want to show the referee some clips of players who like to dive, why don't you show the referee some clips of Gerrard? Here's some good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqjx6IyWxjo

:pac:

Alex Ferguson smugly proclaimed Mascherano "had to go" for his freak-out at the ref.
    Wonder if his opinion was the same following United players' freak-out at, er, the ref, at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Managers are full of hypocrisy when it comes to 'mind games'.

Back on topic, unfortunately I think Chelsea will win this one 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Pal wrote: »
    Chelsea are a better team than Liverpool and realistically should go through.

The same was true for the last two CL semi-finals we beat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pool havent a chance it pains me to say. The OG threw them out.

Liverpool havent scored in SB in over 4 years iirc. Chelsea havent lost at home in years. For all the talk of Liverpools European form they have never scored against Chelsea here in recent years CL.

Gerrard- generally average to poor in recent CL games. Alot of sloppy shots on goal with not enough power.

Babel- has his moments, suffers from poor delivery on occasion.

Kuyt and Pennant seem to be rediscovering some form, but meh, I wouldnt bank on pulling it off. Simply, from the above there is nothing to suggest this is the team that will end Chelseas unbeaten run.

1-0 to Chelsea or else a goaless draw. Only chance Liverpool have is if they are given a penalty. If it happens Id bank on them to win a final shootout.

But it wont.

And United did not score there until this weekend in 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I know this is off topic, but seen as you brought up the subject of referees, did you notice how the ref on Saturday took an extraordinary amount of abuse from the players? Good consistency with the rules there too. Think he managed to give Hargreaves a yellow.......managers try to influence referees every day, every game. players try to do the same by having a moan. big deal, i dont think anyone here, or even drogba himself would try and claim he doesnt dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Liverpool
    I dunno, I think Liverpool's defensive style is more effective against Chelsea - if they pressed them like they did at Anfield (until they got tired and the game started opening up) I can't see Chelsea winning

The problem here is that Liverpool can't play defensive. They have to score. They need to keep the ball try and break Chelsea down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Just on Drogba...I love the way he had a big hissy fit on saturday because Ballack had the temerity to want to take a free-kick! What a primma donna that guy is. Essiens exasperated face said it all. Yet when a penalty needed to be scored I didn't see the chicken step up and demand the ball off Ballack that time.

In conclusion Ballack > Drogba;)

Makes you wonder what its like when Grants talking before KO or HT, I can imagine Drogba and few others lounging on thier chairs, feet up, smoking/reading the paper/gazing out the window. :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Liverpool
    zAbbo wrote: »
    The same was true for the last two CL semi-finals we beat them

Yes. Liverpool's luck cannot last forever. Eventually, the better team wins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Monaco, Deportivo, Olympiakos, Leverkusen, Juventus, Chelsea, Milan, Betis, Anderlecht, Chelsea again, PSV, Bordeaux, Galatasaray, Barcelona, PSV again, Chelsea yet again, Marseille, Porto, Besiktas, Inter, Arsenal. How the fúck is it luck to beat all of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)

Really ? Are the Chelsea the better team ? Come on will you ! Riise had to score for you. Liverpool should have won 3-0 !

• Advertisement
Advertisement