Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs. Liverpool (2nd leg)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if he doesnt make a decent challenge for the title next season i wouldnt be too opposed to getting rid of him. tough time finding a replacement tho :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

for fooks sake, we need about 6 professional players. not average players who speak spanish and not jump ot of a 80/20 tackle..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Liverpool
    Chelsea Chelsea!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liverpool
    Seriously, I think it's time for bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fair play to Chelsea, they were the better team on the night and deserved to go through.

Liverpool had a shocking first half. The midfield couldnt get on the ball, and the defense just constantly hoofed it back to Chelsea. Overall we gave a good account of ourselves over the two legs, and I'm not too disappointed with our campaign. Can't win it every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Fair play to Chelsea, they were the better team on the night and deserved to go through.

Liverpool had a shocking first half. The midfield couldnt get on the ball, and the defense just constantly hoofed it back to Chelsea. Overall we gave a good account of ourselves over the two legs, and I'm not too disappointed with our campaign. Can't win it every year.

Eh, ya's have won it once in 24 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ya's have won it once in 24 years.

The second person plural is 'you'. Look, I can be a pedant too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

The second person plural is 'you'. Look, I can be a pedant too!

Pedanticism. The calling card of pseudo-intellectuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This pretty much echoes what I was going to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    shiibata wrote: »
    breaks my heart but chelski wer the better team...no complaints, except rafa is a wanker..
    Would love to win CL, but as far as i am concerned, i want the premiership and with rafa in charge, thats a fantasy...and if u dont agree, yer an eejit
    Lads, am too pissed at this stage to say wat i think. but have always hated rafa, has been very lucky in europe, fookin clueless in premiership..
    Played some team called Reading, fookin beat us..took off torres and stevie early on(could b wrong there!) then had to beat the french team in europe... hammering them, no word of taking key players off b4 final whistle tho, yet Utd wer up next his priorities r crap

You sir, are an embarrasment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Thankfully, the ignore list sorts that right out :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Liverpool
    BolBill wrote: »
    Really ? Are the Chelsea the better team ? Come on will you ! Riise had to score for you. Liverpool should have won 3-0 !

Sorry Bill.
    Chelsea were and are the better team by a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What did the liverpool fans make of Gerrard last night? I watched the first half properly, but didn't watch the second in as much detail; but I wasn't impressed with what I saw. He didn't get stuck in like I would have expected him to, did the yellow card threat effect him?

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    new position Tauren, he is not a combative midfielder like he used to be, hard for him to have an impact when our midfield cant hang onto the ball. still played a couple of excellent passes (one to Torres in the first half springs to mind)

rafa stil a bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liverpool
    rafa stil a bollox

You still pissed?

new position Tauren, he is not a combative midfielder like he used to be, hard for him to have an impact when our midfield cant hang onto the ball. still played a couple of excellent passes (one to Torres in the first half springs to mind)

But isn't the position he played last night his favoured one? Just seemed last night that he was on the outside of the game. Maybe I'm being too harsh - in the same way i think people are harsh on Ronaldo over his performance on Tuesday - maybe Gerrard was told not to get overly involved in the midfield battle so that he'd be available as an out ball.

nope, but these lads that stand up for rafa:confused: totally lost on that...not a hope of premiership coming to anfield..

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    --Masch---Alonso--
    Gerrard

Torres

Harder to get involved in the game from that position, and when we are not on top, as we werent for long periods, coming back into a more combative role is gonna isolate the one up top and any counters will more than likely break down. all imo of course.

--Masch---Alonso--
    Gerrard

Torres

Harder to get involved in the game from that position, and when we are not on top, as we werent for long periods, coming back into a more combative role is gonna isolate the one up top and any counters will more than likely break down. all imo of course.

fair enough - same as the criticism Ronnie got for not defending and playing like a 'normal' midfielder on Wednesday so. Guess it is just strange not seeing Gerrard being involved in everything liverpool do.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Liverpool
    It's retard season in the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Liverpool
    It's retard season in the soccer forum.
    That dude has called Rafa some interesting names alright, the funniest being "a bollix".

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    Tauren wrote: »
    fair enough - same as the criticism Ronnie got for not defending and playing like a 'normal' midfielder on Wednesday so. Guess it is just strange not seeing Gerrard being involved in everything liverpool do.

little different, but i'll let it slide ;)

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    DesF wrote: »
    That dude has called Rafa some interesting names alright, the funniest being "a bollix".

some people have no respect :(

Liverpool
    some people have no respect :(
    You don't get me.

I think it's hilarious that a supposed Liverpool "fan" can call this manager those names.

And I wonder if Rafa has ever been called a bollix to his face.

little different, but i'll let it slide ;)

true - different in that Ronaldo was playing as the lead striker and Gerrard was playing as the supporting one.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

At last we got someone on the RTE panel (Giles) to say what a lot of people have been thinking this season....Kuyt = WTF is he even doing on the park :confused:

Kuyt - Benayoun - Pennant - Voronin

In a nutshell, not good enough for a club of Liverpool's stature and aspirations. Bin these lads to the first bidder and save the club £200K a week that could be better spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    Well done Chelsea, the better team over the two legs and it was fitting for Frank to put away the penalty.

They have a phenomenal squad of players and it obviously meant more to them and the manager as the emotion spilled over at the final whistle.

Liverpool
    true - different in that Ronaldo was playing as the lead striker and Gerrard was playing as the supporting one.:D
    Correct.

People pilloried Ronaldo from pillar to post yesterday for not tracking back and getting stuck in. When it was obvious that his manager has been telling him not to.

But when Stevie G does it, and it's his manager who has told him to, it's ok.

I don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Obviously very disappointed over the result. Chelsea were the better team last night and deserved to go thru'.
    Drogba has shown that he can be a class player when he cuts the sh!t outta his game, unfortunate he chose last night to cop on, but he does have Rafa to thank for that ;) :pac:

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)

i meant different as in gerrard actually did put in tackles and track back! but lets not open that can of worms! :)

And Des, that bloke and liverpool fan used in the same sentence is pushing it a little.

and no one has ever called him a bollix to his face, did ya not read the interview with Torres in the Liverpool thread (might be interesting to ya in a managerial capacity)

"if rafa tells you to stand 5 yards from the penalty spot, it is not in your best interests to stand 6 yards from it!"

tommy mascherano is scared of no one except rafa. FACT.

Sizzler wrote: »
    At last we got someone on the RTE panel (Giles) to say what a lot of people have been thinking this season....Kuyt = WTF is he even doing on the park :confused:

Kuyt - Benayoun - Pennant - Voronin

In a nutshell, not good enough for a club of Liverpool's stature and aspirations. Bin these lads to the first bidder and save the club £200K a week that could be better spent elsewhere.

Kuyt, as a striker, i'll give you - but Benayoun is a usefull player, as is pennant - not a fan of Voronin though.

However, they are all decent squad players - and every club needs squad players. Are they any worse than players like Fletcher, O'Shea - even Giggs at this point.

i meant different as in gerrard actually did put in tackles and track back! but lets not open that can of worms! :)

And Des, that bloke and liverpool fan used in the same sentence is pushing it a little.

and no one has ever called him a bollix to his face, did ya not read the interview with Torres in the Liverpool thread (might be interesting to ya in a managerial capacity)

"if rafa tells you to stand 5 yards from the penalty spot, it is not in your best interests to stand 6 yards from it!"

tommy mascherano is scared of no one except rafa. FACT.

Can opener in hand, and it is so tempting....

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    Correct.

People pilloried Ronaldo from pillar to post yesterday for not tracking back and getting stuck in. When it was obvious that his manager has been telling him not to.

But when Stevie G does it, and it's his manager who has told him to, it's ok.

I don't get it.

there is a difference, gerrard put in more effort by a million miles when it came to putting in tackles, not letting defenders walk the ball out, closing people down etc

edit:but i agree, the criticism of Ronaldo has been harsh over the two barca legs (thats a peace offering to Tauren, dont wanna get into this right now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Kuyt, as a striker, i'll give you - but Benayoun is a usefull player, as is pennant - not a fan of Voronin though.

However, they are all decent squad players - and every club needs squad players. Are they any worse than players like Fletcher, O'Shea - even Giggs at this point.

Kuyt - a "workhorse", eh hes paid to score goals the last time I looked !

You're slightly missing the point with Pennant & Benayoun, these are not *class* players. Can you seriously imagine Fergie or Wenger vying for their services? I think not. These are not squad players either, these lads feature rather frequently in the Liverpool side it must be said.

We could be here all day comparing kak squad players but I would agree 100% with you on your comparisons with Giggs / JOS / Fletcher. If we didnt have a Nani / Anderson / Hargreaves / Carrick and these lads were playing every week then I would be saying the same thing, these lads aint good enough for a top team! For the record I wouldnt shed a tear if any of those Utd lads were shipped off this summer ;)

• Advertisement

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)

Like the CL final goal last year? Like the goal against Inter? Like the 2 goals against Arsenal? Like his 7 CL goals this year?Like his goal against Chelsea? Like his two goals in the derby?

Dirk Kuyt is a big game player and i think there is a place for him at Liverpool.

You're slightly missing the point with Pennant & Benayoun, these are not *class* players. Can you seriously imagine Fergie or Wenger vying for their services? I think not. These are not squad players either, these lads feature rather frequently in the Liverpool side it must be said.

We could be here all day comparing kak squad players but I would agree 100% with you on your comparisons with Giggs / JOS / Fletcher. If we didnt have a Nani / Anderson / Hargreaves / Carrick and these lads were playing every week then I would be saying the same thing, these lads aint good enough for a top team! For the record I wouldnt shed a tear if any of those Utd lads were shipped off this summer ;)

My comments were more based at the assertation that Pennant, Benayoun should be shipped out completely - these players still have a place in the liverpool squad; clubs can't afford (bar chelsea) 22 world class or great players. A squad, for most teams, will always contain good/average players.

Liverpool
    My comments were more based at the assertation that Pennant, Benayoun should be shipped out completely - these players still have a place in the liverpool squad; clubs can't afford (bar chelsea) 22 world class or great players. A squad, for most teams, will always contain good/average players.
    But, and this won't be argued by many, Liverpool's squad is not strong enough to challenge for more than one trophy, and the current manager's priority always seems to be the CL, which indeed he has won with Liverpool.

Chelsea's squad is the best in Europe, no doubt about it.

Their's and United's fringe players are better than Liverpool's.

That is the difference.

Dirk Kuyt is a big game player and i think there is a place for him at Liverpool.

:rolleyes: and i am called a retard, my granny can run faster than kuyt..

Liverpool
    :rolleyes: and i am called a retard, my granny can run faster than kuyt..
    Only when I'm chasing her.

• Advertisement

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)

Like the CL final goal last year? Like the goal against Inter? Like the 2 goals against Arsenal? Like his 7 CL goals this year?Like his goal against Chelsea? Like his two goals in the derby?

you must've missed this part Shiibata.

You should enter your granny into some sort of elderly athletics, i'd imagine she'd fare quite well.

But, and this won't be argued by many, Liverpool's squad is not strong enough to challenge for more than one trophy, and the current manager's priority always seems to be the CL, which indeed he has won with Liverpool.

That is the difference.
    I don't disagree - it is the players backing up the guys I have been talking about that need to be moved on - Pennant and the like should be the backup players, with better players in the starting 11. I'm not saying Liverpools current squad is fine, just saying that not every player not world class or not brilliant needs to be moved on.

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    tauren sticking up for Liverpool, never thought i'd see the day! ;)

tauren sticking up for Liverpool, never thought i'd see the day! ;)

i just like arguing:o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Only one fight left for Liverpool this season - and it ain't on the pitch. Ultimately it will be a more important fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

That is the difference.

Fair point, obviously Rafa's isnt confident enough in his squad when he chooses to largely play certain players against weak team (ie. Crouch, Finnan) where as united and chelsea dont mind throwing the likes of Park etc into match Vs Barcelona, (I guess anelka is probably bit better than crouch :o )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

jank wrote: »
    To be honest chelsea clearly deserved it. If liverpool had won then it would have been gone down as one of those liverpool european results.

I dont think any observer worth their salt would conclude that Chelsea clearly deserved it. It was far from a country mile of a gap. Liverpool deserved to win the 1st leg, and last night Chelsea shaded the 2nd. So adding both legs together, there was little to separate them. If anything, Liverpool may have shaded it on chances. Attempts on goal and clear-cut chances were about even over the 2 legs.

The key differentiator, and Riise will also know this, was his og. Liverpool were deserving of a 2-0 in the first leg, which ended up a 1-1. That changed the tie completely. If the 1st leg would have ended 2-0 or 1-0, then we would be probably talking now about Liverpool being in their 3rd final in 4 years.

But that's football, the gap between success and failure sometimes is slim.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    Chelsea deserved to win last night,Liverpool was awful,only i am sorry Chelsea wont get trophy coz United will beat them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Chelsea deserved to win last night,Liverpool was awfull
    as is your spelling

Liverpool
    gucci wrote: »
    as is your spelling
    English isn't the dude's first language man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement