Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs. Liverpool (2nd leg)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Liverpool
    Tusky wrote: »
    Kind of contradicting yourself there.

Also, I dont agree in regards to keepers. Some keepers are excellent at saving penos.

Tusky he did not contradict himself at all, you just did not understand his sentence, there is a difference, next time quote his full sentence and not a portion of it,
    that is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool
    Ah it's just cause I used penalties initially to describe penalty shootouts, while when I said penalties the second time I just meant the plural of a penalty.

Taking a penalty in a normal game is different to penalty shootouts imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i hope chelsea win. but lose to utd in the final.

there. ive said it. i feel dirty now.

i also hope utd win the league.

uuurghhhh....

Liverpool
    Jesus christ WWM, what the hell is going on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Liverpool
    dc69 wrote: »
    kalou?

reina is well better than cech at penos,its his speciality.I would feel extremely confident if it went to penos

I genuinely can't remember the last time Liverpool lost a penalty shootout. Probably some obscure League Cup game that someone will come up with.

Arphexad, Westerveld, Dudek, Reina...can't think of any they lost

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Liverpool
    dc69 wrote: »
    Chelski are well capable of being beaten,we only need 1 goal and if it goes to penos reina is better than cech,so we will progress.doesnt get any simpler.
    that why Chelsea havn't been beaten in like 80 odd games at the Bridge...........
    If it goes to peno's your guaranteed to win because Reina is better at peno saving?!?!?!?!?
    doesn't get any simpler??????

Chelsea are the better team and have the advantage.If its 1-1 theres still 30mins extra time.It wont go that far anyway.

Chelsea = Better team
    Chelsea = Have the advantage
    Chelsea = Playing at the Bridge
    Chelsea = Win

Couldn't be simpler........

Liverpool
    Chelsea have been beaten at the Bridge. Their record at the bridge is about the league.

Football is never simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool
    Buckle the belts lads. This is going to be a rough ride. Can we win? Of course we can ****ing win. Twice this season we have competed very well against Chelsea and can count ourselves somewhat unfortunate to not have claimed an extra 2 - 4 league points from those games.

However, we were second best in the league cup tie (though it is slightly irrelevant given squad rotation) and our record in the Bridge over the past 10 years is an embarrassment.

As I said before the first leg, the law of averages says that it is highly unlikely for the inferior squad to win three two legged contests in succession. And make no mistake about it, Chelsea have the superior squad depth.

See, tomorrow is very close:

- One can pull up the stats of Chelsea's record at home or their record specifically against us at home / but we can counter with the remarkable statistic which says that every time two English clubs have gone at it in Europe the lower ranked side has progressed;

- One can talk about the superior squad depth and ability of the Chelsea team as a whole / or one can note that Liverpool rested players at the weekend and will be fresher;

- One can say Ballack / to counter it we can say Gerrard;

- ditto Drogba / Torres

- One can make arguments that Grant will get outfoxed by Benitiez / or one can simply note that the goal in the dying stages of the first leg knocks Benitez out of his tactical comfort zone;

All of the above is really irrelevant ultimately. Both sides can win the game or lose it. Who ****ing wants it more? Even that can be debated. It's Liverpool's only chance of silverware. But on the other hand Chelsea have been close before and previous failures will haunt them. Is Gerrard going to really, really want it more than Ballack when he has one of these winners medals and his counterpart doesn't?

It's a coin toss.

Let me say this. I don't care how Liverpool do it if they do it. Whatever. Winwinwinwinwinwinwin. Get over the ****ing line and set up the tie of our lives as football fans. At the very least die ****ing hard and hang tough. Walk off knowing 100% was given and no - one didn't put it in. That will satisfy me as a fan.

One more time please. Lets go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I voted for a Liverpool win.

We're unquestionably the underdog. Chelsea's away goal means that the tie is theirs to lose. Their record at Stamford Bridge is formidable. They beat an (admittedly poor) Man Utd at the weekend, and their confidence will be high.

I still voted for the win though. Liverpool's recent successes have no doubt spoiled my judgement. This is a team that has gone to such daunting venues as the San Siro and the Nou Camp, scored goals and won. Why can't they do it at Stamford Bridge? There is no questioning the mentality of the squad. Players like Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt, Macherano, Alonso and Carragher are the epitome of big-game players. They won't be daunted, they won't be overawed. They each have the ability to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen. They can change things in an instant.

Much, of course, will depend on Chelsea. They had to beat Man Utd at the weekend, and they did. Just about. They also conceded, which may knaw away at them in the backs of their minds. The difference tonight is that they don't have to beat Liverpool. They know a 0-0 will see them through. And for all of the bluster about Grant's mandate to create free-flowing, attacking football, Chelsea will perhaps rely on their rearguard to see them through.

That's a dangerous game to play. If they defend too deep, they allow space in front of the defence for Gerrard to pop in one of his life-line goals. However, if they push up too much, they've got the pace of Torres and Babel to contend with. If they attack, they're gonna be vulnerable on the break. Ashley Cole and Ferraira (should he play) will be exploitable weaknesses.

However, as has been said: it's a coin toss. I wouldn't bet on a 0-0, and the first goal will be crucial. If Liverpool get it, they can win comfortably. If Chelsea get it, Liverpool have a mountain to climb. Buckle the belts indeed.

YNWA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

shane86 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Nice answer there. I'm going to withdraw from debating with you because your mastery of the English language is obviously too great for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Liverpool have to score, not easy but I expect them to give it a bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm very nervous. Possibly more so than i've ever been before a European tie. I think it's because Utd are already through and i don't think i can stand us not being.

Things that could help us tonight:
    1. Lampard starts.
    2. Essien at right back.

Hopefully Rafa will get them fired up and we'll come out all guns blazing. We really need to play for 90 minutes like we did in the second half against Arsenal at Anfield. We pressed and harrassed them so much that even the best passing team in the country couldn't get out of their own half. i think, under pressure like that, Chelsea could cave. We saw it to some extent at the beginning of the second half of the first leg.

My prediction: 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Liverpool
    I'd have to go with Chelsea. Might just be a bridge too far for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Prufrock wrote: »
    I'd have to go with Chelsea. Might just be a bridge too far for Liverpool.
    Coat for 1.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

chdpoker wrote: »
    Chelsea = Better team
    Chelsea = Have the advantage
    Chelsea = Playing at the Bridge
    Chelsea = Win

Couldn't be simpler........

Heh, keep talking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Liverpool
    Think Lampard starting along with Ballack could stop Ballacks man mission that he's on.

Still reckon Chelsea will sneak it with either a one nil win or a nil all draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

SantryRed wrote: »
    Think Lampard starting along with Ballack could stop Ballacks man mission that he's on.

Still reckon Chelsea will sneak it with either a one nil win or a nil all draw.

Everyone's going on about Ballack's mission. Why was he so awful last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Everyone's going on about Ballack's mission. Why was he so awful last week?
    People like to repeat what they hear/read in other places to make it sound like they've been monitoring every second of a player's season/career. Not on this forum though. I'm sure Mikey has personally rang each person on here and simply shouted "I'M ON A F*CKING MISSION TO WIN THE CL THIS SEASON JUST YOU WATCH".

Btw, whoever was critisizing Liverpool fans for voting for a Liverpool win. Seriously? How dare fans back their own team.

Liverpool
    We're unquestionably the underdog. Chelsea's away goal means that the tie is theirs to lose. Their record at Stamford Bridge is formidable. They beat an (admittedly poor) Man Utd at the weekend, and their confidence will be high.

They didn't beat a poor Man Utd imo, they just outplayed us completely. Utterly dominated midfield and really were something else.

If Chelsea play like that against Liverpool I think they'll breeze through the tie. That said, they are unlikely to play that well.
    I'm excited though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I want Liverpool to get through .... of course, but who will is anyone's guess at the moment. Chelsea are clearly in the driving seat and have the advantage so betting money is on them. Still, its football, so anything can happen.

Its a mouth-watering prospect tonight, not in terms of a football goal fest thriller, but in a game of wills at least. Yes, I too hope that the players will give their all come what may, and they can walk off at the end knowing that 100% was given, and that Liverpool fans will be singing YNWA come whatever the result.

Stating the obvious but Liverpool need to score, as 0-0 tonight means that Chelsea go through. But even if Chelsea should get a first goal, from an error or a gift or just by sheer good play, Liverpool's run in Europe is not over, as a goal will get us right back in it. So, its all to play for and the first goal tonight wont decide the tie.

If it does go to penalties with a 1-1, Reina is our trump card there. Cech is good at penalties too but Reina is better. However, during the game Cech is clearly better and Reina can be a source of leaked goals. So, we may not get to penalties.

I'm not nervous and I dont think the Liverpool players will be either. The way Liverpool outplayed Chelsea last week should be a boon to most (apart from Riise of course!) and keep them focussed on the task in hand. If Riise plays, I hope he doesnt try and over-compensate by looking for a wonder goal from 40-yards. The players are all well rested physically and mentally.

These games though can be won on a small difference - a mistake, a penalty claim, something not given, etc. Something like that could determine it. The men on the field from both teams will be measured by how they respond.

Its a good match-up .... enjoy,

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have a tenner on Liverpool to qualify via peno's, 18-1. I'll be shouting all the way for them, not just for financial reasons and no disrespect to Chelsea, but United v Liverpool is the dream final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I think it's a nightmare final. I don't know what I want. I feel like puking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    redspider wrote: »
    Cech is good at penalties too but Reina is better. However, during the game Cech is clearly better and Reina can be a source of leaked goals. So, we may not get to penalties.

Whereas Cech is never at fault for goals?

Redspider, i believe you are refering to the Cech of 2005 who seemed unbeatable, Cech is quite regularly at fault for Chelseas goals over the last year. He is not near the player he was when he came on the scene.

(cue Reina ****ing up and Cech having a stormer!;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

How do people think Pool will approach tonight. Play it cagey or go for it. Nothing really changes if Chelsea score first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

malice_ wrote: »
    Nice answer there. I'm going to withdraw from debating with you because your mastery of the English language is obviously too great for me.

So you think he is better?

hmm, 18-1 penos eh? Worth 6 euro I suppose, but on previous form of both teams and in particular the away form of Liverpool fwds/home form of Chelsea in general anyone predicting a win here is using aimless guesswork and little else. Gerrard and Carragher are on yellow cards. Can expect a possibly overly careful performance :(

I hope to god they go to Moscow to face Man U but I really cant see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool
    kida wrote: »
    How do people think Pool will approach tonight. Play it cagey or go for it. Nothing really changes if Chelsea score first.

I think you may see:

"default European away performance no. 1" for about 65 mins and the kitchen sink getting delivered to their end post haste if we still need to a goal by that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly.

It would nice to see Pool surprise with a swashbuckling opening 15-20 and get the goal but Rafa is thinking in terms of 95 mins plus 33 mins plus penos.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

My God, how an early goal for the pool would settle me somewhat. I'm just a bundle of nerves at the moment and as far as work's concerned, well, there's always next week, (can't see me workin too hard tomorrow regarless of the result).
    Chelsea have it all to lose and Liverpool are back to their comfortable 'underdog' status. Can only hope that the thought of the previous 2 CL semis haunt the blues on the pitch but I honestly can't see it being an issue.
    At this stage I don't know what to think. In short, Chelsea are favourites........just, and they'll be just as, if not more, nervous than the pool. Hope it's a great match, a fair match, leaving no excuses only that the better team won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    I don't think statistics and previous games are going to tell too much about tonight, considering Liverpool will be using a much more settled formation of 4-2-1-2-1 with essentially a new front 4 combination with Babel and Torres new to the club, and Gerrard and Kuyt relatively new to their positions.

Torres and Gerrard really need to step up tonight, Torres has been poor in the last 3 games now, despite a goal against Arsenal, he was off form. Gerrard was abysmal in the Arsenal decider and should have been hauled off if it wasn't for his jena se qua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    I think Chelsea should win but Liverpool will win. I'll go for 2-1 to Liverpool, Chelsea to score first. Gerrard needs to be in best form tonight, he was MIA at times in the last leg. If Liverpool do their usual and take their chances on the break they have a good chance for the win against Chelsea. Looking forward to it already!

I wonder what kind of odds would you get for a riise og again!!

• Advertisement

The teams are

Chelsea: Cech, A Cole, Makelele, Essien, Carvalho, Lampard, J Cole, Drogba, Ballack, Kalou, Terry.

Liverpool: Reina, Riise, Gerrard, Torres, Benayoun, Alonso, Arbeloa, Kuyt, Mascherano, Carragher, Skrtel.

Mike.

Liverpool
    Chelsea will be worse tonight than they were against United because Makelele Ballack Lampard doesn't work as well. Essien and Joe Cole though are gona hurt Riises defensive abilities.

George Hamilton must be a hobbit, considering Ray Haughton was holding the brolly well above him and looks a clear foot taller.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Liverpool
    I've changed my mind, I think Liverpool will go through tonight.

Although I'll probably change my mind a couple more times before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Lots of predictions for Riise to belt in a goal. I'm predicting him to spend the game kicking the ball really hard and really wastefully
    *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I don't think the bookies would take any bet on that pete. Is almost guaranteed I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

i'm shítting it...hope the pool can do it! need to come out of the box quickly and put the pressure!!

Come on the pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Chelsea should go for it first twenty mins. Funny, Chelsea scoring doesn't change what Pool have to do, I can see them sitting and getting them on the counter after an hour, they're fully rested after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I feel sick I am so nervous about this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

After seeing the teams im slightly more confident. Would have feared Essien, Maka, Ballack more. Ballack has looked great any time Lampard isn't there (has only scored 1 goal this season beside frank, 5 on his own).

I like pool's team too, not so sure about yossi being the replacement for Babel, but it'll be fantastic to have 30mins of all action Babel-Mania at the end of the game!

Off to pub. Come on the pool!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    Best of luck to both teams,wanna see the pool win so they have my support.

Good lucks lads!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I like pool's team too, not so sure about yossi being the replacement for Babel, but it'll be fantastic to have 30mins of all action Babel-Mania at the end of the game!

:D

Cmon the super sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hard choice but I'm up for Chelsea.

Would like to see Lampard score also in what I'm sure will be a tough match for him.

At 70 mins it'll be Babel-Time :)

Mike.

None of our back 5 would get in the Chelsea team, but I still think we'll win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

switching over to sky sports, Houghton is brutal.

Drogba gets his first dive in early.

Is Houghton saying Skersel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Ahh, so close to having a cushion

• Advertisement

That was awful good of Benayoun to run out of Essiens way when he went to shoot. :rolleyes:
    Someone needs to tell him playing on the left actually invovles being on the left wing the odd time. He leaves the left full very exposed when he plays.

Skrtel off for Hyypia.

Advertisement