Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs. Liverpool (2nd leg)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Liverpool
    event wrote: »
    i wouldnt exactly justify it cos he scored a fluke

thats what it was, sure it was from 45 yards

Still scored though.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Still no certainty about Torres though, its easy to say a manager got it wrong when a team looses. The failings were at the back not at the front.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool
    Well deserved from Chelsea, Liverpools defence just wasn't good enough, even before Skertle came off.

I ended up not being a supporter of either team cause I couldn't decide, a weird sensation watching Liverpool and Chelsea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool
    Well done Chelsea, good luck in the final.

- If Torres was injured, fair enough. If not - ...

- Hyppia made an error in judgement. It happens. He had been a great servant and I can't be too annoyed;

- Drogba scored two good strikers goals - not a whole lot to be done for either;

- Gerrard was poor. No ifs, no buts;

- Kuyt tried really hard but possibly should have been taken off after 75 minutes or so when he began to look a bit spent;

- On an overall level, after we scored the goal we gradually let it slip away from us again and the Chelsea goals had been coming;

- Hyppia should have had a penalty, it might have made a difference;

- Can't really complain. I think the players tried as hard as they could. Chelsea worked very hard and were fairly clinical. It all spun on the Riise OG, but that's the way when there isn't that much between teams in a cup tie;

Bitterly disappointed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Liverpools defence just wasn't good enough, even before Skertle came off

What? Drogba got sfa all night. The two he did he put away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Unearthly wrote: »
    To be fair Grant deserves some f*cking credit at this stage now surely? :confused:
    Agreed, he does deserve credit for this achievement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Can we please put this to bed. Rafa took off Torres and brought on Babel as Liverpool went in search of goals. Babel scored. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool
    spockety wrote: »
    Can we please put this to bed. Rafa took off Torres and brought on Babel as Liverpool went in search of goals. Babel scored. End of story.

But Torres is Liverpool's top scorer and also scored in the game. I would have to agree that taking off Torres, unless he had a knock, was a poor move when goals are required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

As a Man United supporter this worries me, as im sure most people would agree united would much rather play the pool over in final...

all the same roll on may 21st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Liverpool
    Would you have taken him off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Liverpool
    Well done Chelsea - a deserved win. Drogba was brilliant. I guess Liverpool will have to put that "Six Times" bus back in the garage for a while ;)

Roll on the final in May - a good game in prospect !!

ZEN

But Torres is Liverpool's top scorer and also scored in the game. I would have to agree that taking off Torres, unless he had a knock, was a poor move when goals are required.

A goalscorer came off, and was substituted by a person who scored a goal!

There are a lot of what if's in a game of football, but that particular one is clear.

What's not clear is, "what if" Torres had stayed on and Crouch or someone came on, which left Liverpool short in the middle or at the back, and leaked even more goals?

Pighead wrote: »
    Would you have taken him off?

No, but I'm hardly management material relative to Rafa Benitez.. what's he won again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

Couldn't believe they took Torres off... Madness in my opinion. Gutted Liverpool lost... At least we managed to score at Stamford Bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Liverpool
    No, but I'm hardly management material relative to Rafa Benitez.. what's he won again?
    Stop underselling yourself spockety. You'll never be manager of Liverpool with an attitude like this.

• Advertisement

Liverpool
    A goalscorer came off, and was substituted by a person who scored a goal!

There are a lot of what if's in a game of football, but that particular one is clear.

What's not clear is, "what if" Torres had stayed on and Crouch or someone came on, which left Liverpool short in the middle or at the back, and leaked even more goals?

But I think people are wondering why both couldn't have been on. It's not exactly normal behaviour to take off your most prolific striker when you desperately need goals.

I think Kuyt who was largely ineffective would have been a better option to take off than Torres who had already nicked a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Have to say congrats to Chelsea every one of them worked hard, chasing Liverpool players down and not giving us any room....Even the crowd were noisy (maybe Ambramovic paid them to sing or something)

Liverpool were second to every ball from the kick-off (except when we equalised)... I'm prob gonna be abused here on the thread, but i think we should sell Alonso and try and cash in on him, he was all over the place tonight and hasn't really played well all year :(

Riise fúcked up again and tried to play Anelka off-side :(.... thought Arbeloa had a shocking game think he may have bottled it ..where's Finnan ?

Benni is always capable of that bit of magic but he's not really a winger, always cuts inside... I was cursing Rafa when he took off Torres but hey Babel scored so I suppose he got it right...all in all, Chelsea have a better team and they deserved to win with the performance they put in tonight so fair play to them..

Drogba was deadly...Cole was deadly, Essien was amazing and Mackele (sp?) had Gerrard in his pocket all night :(

Gerrards new attacking role is great when we win but ****e when we lose, you see him looking at an opponent 5 yards away with the ball and he doesn't close him down :(

Since our chase for silverware in officially over :(

For Liverpool to be a force next season I think we need:

1 quality attacking left back
    1 quality attacking right back
    1 great passing (attacking)CM
    2 quality wingers (not fúckin mancini :mad:)
    1 quality forward (Huntalaar, villa (is he a bit weak for prem?)

I have to say one thing though, fair play to the Liverpool players for not giving up (and nearly giving me a few heart attacks :) )..come on you Redmen!!

(ps I still think Rafa is the man for the job.. no question about it!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Chelsea (Chealsea Fans)
    Fantastic win for Chelsea, brilliant stuff, Drogbas goals, Lampards peno. Great, great, match, couldnt fault Chelsea, couldnt fauld Liverpool too much either. They were just out played by a classy Chelsea side, Drogba, Essien, a sure they whole team were great. Liverpool fought hard and fair play to them, was surprised Torres was taken off but glad for Bable to get a goal I think he's a great tallent. Chelsea definitly deserved the win in the end. Should be some final:D

*special mention for Grant on his knees at the final whistle! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Benitez blew it in my opinion... What is the story with Crouch? Did he try it on with Rafa's wife or daughter at some stage?

Crouch should have been playing from the start or at the very least brought on at half-time. How he could leave Kuyt on for 120 minutes mystifies me. Fair play to Chelsea but some of Rafa's decisions were bizarre to say the least.

Rafa on Sky Sports 2 in a couple of minutes and will explain the Torres sub.

EDIT : Torres Hamstring injury.

• Advertisement

mada999 wrote: »
    For Liverpool to be a force next season I think we need:

1 quality attacking left back
    1 quality attacking right back
    1 great passing (attacking)CM
    2 quality wingers (not fúckin mancini :mad:)
    1 quality forward (Huntalaar, villa (is he a bit weak for prem?)

And surely 1 new manager

woooo232 wrote: »
    And surely 1 new manager

Who would you recommend that could do a better job with Liverpool's resources?

Torres did his hamstring.

Who would you recommend that could do a better job with Liverpool's resources?

Mourinho for one... I could go on if you want?

Liverpool are hardly paupers! Benitez has spent a fortune on a collection of average players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Liverpool
    Well done Chelski .. they were due a win against the pool .... Liverpool have to rebuild for next season now , no doubt and sort out the boardroom shenanigans too ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Woah.

Oh well.

Frstly, I got the worst sense of forboding when Skrtel came off. He is without doubt one of the best, and one of the most underrated defenders in the EPL, and as soon as it happened I thought "right, its ****ed now".

And to prove I am not biased, Torres is one of the most overrated. Whilst not at all trying to take away from his 30 goals in season one in England, he has poor away form and, most importantly, relies entirely on being fed by midfield, even when they are not doing their job. Unlike, say, Ronaldo, he doesnt run around a few defenders, preferring instead to receive a ball, run maybe one defender and then make a (admittedtly often brilliant) shot on goal. This effectively means that in some matches you can count on one hand how many touches of the ball he gets. He needs to learn that being a striker doesnt necessarily mean he is glued to the peno box. It can occasionally call for him to run to midfield or further. Look at Rooney, some matches yid think he was a defender he supports the back so much.

Liverpool fans here really went overboard in their reckoning of how likely they were to beat Chelsea. Overboard on a "we`re gonna win the world cup" In-ger-land scale. Yes, history has been turned on its head re conceded goals, but alot of the sticking points stood again. Gerrard was better than before, but still not stunning. Kuyt was average. The passing in the first half was horrific, much like in a few other recent CL matches.

Have I missed something or where is Steve Finnan these days? Id have put him in for Skrtel.

All in all, nail biting edge of your seat stuff. Briefly believed after the Babel strike, tbh Im not sure enough extra time was played after the 30. Tragic that the best final in CL history will not happen in 2008. Last year Id have been like fook it, cmon Jose (as Ive mentioned here before, Im an ABU with a heavy Liverpool leaning, but I can adapt :) )

But meh, Grant is a boring monotone chancer who looks like a vampire. Obviously I hope Utd dont win , but right now I dont particularly care for who is facing them.

Mourinho for one... I could go on if you want?

Mourinho would be unacceptable to the vast majority of Liverpool supporters, plus Benitez showed he had the better of him in this competition on more than one occassion.

Please do go on.
    Liverpool are hardly paupers! Benitez has spent a fortune on a collection of average players.

Argument done to death on the Liverpool General Rumours thread, shown to be rubbish for many reasons on a number of occassions.

Liverpool
    Argument done to death on the Liverpool General Rumours thread, shown to be rubbish for many reasons on a number of occassions.

Hardly a rubbish argument considering he's spent quite a bit and ended the season with nothing.

How many of Liverpool's players do you think would get in Chelsea's side with the exception of Torres and Gerrard?

Benitez blew it in my opinion... What is the story with Crouch? Did he try it on with Rafa's wife or daughter at some stage?

I'm sick of this.....Crouch ain't good enough man. It's ok saying this shíte in Retrospect, but he's just not good enough. [sigh]

Mourinho would be unacceptable to the vast majority of Liverpool supporters, plus Benitez showed he had the better of him in this competition on more than one occassion.

Please do go on.

Ok... Martin O'Neill. Shall I keep going?

The argument about Benitez signing expensive duds can't have been proven wrong because it is correct.

• Advertisement

I'm sick of this.....Crouch ain't good enough man. It's ok saying this shíte in Retrospect, but he's just not good enough. [sigh]

And Kuyt/ Pennant are good enough?

The argument about Benitez signing expensive duds can't have been proven wrong because it is correct.

WTF ? Expensive duds? Who do you consider expensive ??? The only one I'd consider expensive is Torres....is he dud???

And Kuyt/ Pennant are good enough?

No they are not good enough..but we can't shell out £20 million for a Winger..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liverpool
    Well done Chelsea.

Lots of diving in the match but funnily enough no mention of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

fair play to chelski. had the heart and the workrate to undo liverpool. cant take anything away from them. should be a good final... but not as good as it could have been :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Martin O'Neil? The man , who despite having new owners with money at Villa and apparently being the greatest manager since Fergie has them in the same poisiton as O'leary who is widely lambasted.

adox wrote: »
    Well done Chelsea.

Lots of diving in the match but funnily enough no mention of it.

Don't remember too much diving tbh.////

WTF ? Expensive duds? Who do you consider expensive ??? The only one I'd consider expensive is Torres....is he dud???

Torres was not expensive since he has provided value for money. Kuyt on the other hand (whilst much cheaper) has been a complete dud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No diving Droggs knew he was being watched.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Ye Grant for the sack, hes managed to do what mourinho never did, and has nearly saved their season!
    They wont win either obviously but he deserves to keep his job

Liverpool
    I though Arbaloa went over at least 4 times without being touched. Hyypia as well for the peno that wasnt.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Martin O'Neil? The man , who despite having new owners with money at Villa and apparently being the greatest manager since Fergie has them in the same poisiton as O'leary who is widely lambasted.

The point is not whether Martin O'Neill is the greates thing since sliced bread but that he is a better manager than Benitez. Where would Villa be if he had the cash to buy Torres? And where would Liverpool be if Benitez hadn't been able to buy Torres.

Purely speculation but my point is that Liverpool are hardly paupers and managers like Mourinho or O'Neill would use their resources better and achieve more because they are better managers than Benitez.

Torres was not expensive since he has provided value for money. Kuyt on the other hand (whilst much cheaper) has been a complete dud.

Tbh, i'd rate Kuyt up there with Rooney...not a real goalscorer (although Kuyt was cheaper)

Liverpool
    Tbh, i'd rate Kuyt up there with Rooney...(although Kuyt was cheaper)

Obviously I may be biased as a United supporter but even putting that aside, I mean, are you serious???????? :confused:

Tbh, i'd rate Kuyt up there with Rooney...not a real goalscorer (although Kuyt was cheaper)

Haha classic... :D:D

You probably therefore rate Pennant up their with Messi too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Comedy genius.

Liverpool

:eek: Kuyt's not good enough to lace Rooney's boots.

adox wrote: »
    Obviously I may be biased as a United supporter but even putting that aside, I mean, are you serious???????? :confused:
    if you are measuring goals to price-tag ratio :) of course I'm taking the piss (where's the sarcasm button)

but tbh... would you rate rooney better than Torres or Drogba ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

if you are measuring goals to price-tag ratio :) of course I'm taking the piss (where's the sarcasm button)

but tbh... would you rate rooney better than Torres or Drogba ?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Wayne Rooney= the ultimate footballer

Haha classic... :D:D

You probably therefore rate Pennant up their with Messi too?

nah i don't think so...

• Advertisement
Advertisement