Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17hmr

Options
  • 27-04-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Well, anyone give me any info regards the above calibre, thinking of getting a nice bolt-action chambered in it for longer range stuff than my .22LR. Any info on trajectory (I'm sick of the 'rainbow' effect :o), effective range, suitable quarry, cost, etc. is much appreciated in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Well, anyone give me any info regards the above calibre, thinking of getting a nice bolt-action chambered in it for longer range stuff than my .22LR. Any info on trajectory (I'm sick of the 'rainbow' effect :o), effective range, suitable quarry, cost, etc. is much appreciated in advance.

Hey jose ive been using the 17HMR for the last few months now and I find it a great little round. The round is pretty flat out to about 120 yards. Its very affective on rabbits out to about 140 yards and a little further with the right conditions. I have also taken the odd fox at about 100 yards would not push it beyond that. Wind can be a factor because the round is so small either 17 grain or 20 grain, so on windy days I tend to take shots within the 100 yard mark..The average price iv paid for a box of 50 rounds is 15 euro. As for the gun itself they seem to range from about 450 euro upwards. I have a marlin 917vs -cf, it comes with a 4 and 7 shot magazine. There are pictures up in the picture section. One thing I would also say to you is if possible get one that is factory threaded because there is quite a crack out of it.Hope this is been of some help to you..

Whats the price of ammo for this round?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

generally about 15-20 quid a box I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Its very affective on rabbits out to about 140 yards and a little further with the right conditions.

In light of the speed and size of the round are you seeing much fragmentation / meat damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

In light of the speed and size of the round are you seeing much fragmentation / meat damage?

during the testing of the 17 hmr it was considered that meat damage to small game was similar to the 22lr..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I had one of the first ones when the arrived here a few years ago but sold it quickly as it was meant to be a foxing gun.

I now have another, a CZ 452 Varmint. It's factory threaded and I use a SAK moddy. I have used the original hornady 17 gr Vmax which I found very good. I've just finished two boxes of federal 17 grain vmax which I found to be very dirty in the bore. Otherwise ok.

I am now using the hornady 20 grain vmax and find them good.

Prices are €16.95 per 50.

Ranges flat more or less flat out to 100 yards. I've shot rabbits at 150 yds with no major problems.

Very affected by wind. Happy out with it but it will only be used as a long range bunny buster.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Tends to be quite similar to the .22lr, but on close up shots under 25 yards you migh have a big exit wound. Other than that not much real damage.

All sounds good so far, with the exception of ammo price and wind effects... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

took a magpie down at 180 yards with this round on last week
    Brilliant little fast round for vermin and it packs a good bit of power
    Have mine over a two years now and the wind is my only problem with it
    ive heard of lads hitting well out beyond 250 yards on a calm day on Grey crows and magpies whether they are true or not is another thing but i couldn't see a problem.never shot bunny's with it i use the .22 for that its as quiet as a mouse and its more fun to try and get close enough for the shot
    If i sold this gun id be lost for dispatching of greys and mags
    just my opinion but id go for it as said before it has a relatively flat trajectory and good hitting power and the wind is the only con

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Ive had mine for two years also best shot so far was a magpie at 180yards

I would not be too keen shooting fox with this round at 100yrds or beyond . On ocasions i have seen them taking hits and continue on going.

Lamping fox on a windy November nite may be the csource of the problem as bullets get blown around a bit and dont hit the spot you want to hit

I find also shooting rabbits with 22 can be a bit cruel as ocasionally they can crawl back into the burrow half paralised . I never seen a rabbit do it after the .17

My intensions for next year is to move u to .243 for fox and keep .17 for mags, greys and rabbits

I would find it hard to go bask to .22 as it just doesnt hit hard enough for me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info lads, sounds a good little round all right. My only worry would be the fact that on average the wind round my local area never drops below hurricane force :p

Advertisement