Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tube doubled over?...

Options
  • 27-04-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭

Was repairing a puncture on my bike for the first time and noticed that instead of the tube being a perfect fit for the rim, it was doubled over where the valve is?

Is this the way it is meant to be with road bikes?

tubedoubleover3.jpg

tubedoubleover1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Do you think it's the wrong sized tube?
    I reckon so. Find details of the size of your tyre on the sidewall of the tyre and buy a matching size tube.

eg. 700 X 23C (road racing bike) tyre. The tube box will state 700 X 18/25c or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Thats not right. Looks like you have the wrong size tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

That's what I was thinking.

This bike was bought brand new which means the shop that built the bike knowingly used an incorrect sized tube...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That is just insane. In fairness to the shop they probably wouldn't have done that, it would have arrived to them with tube+tyre already fitted.

blorg wrote: »
    That is just insane. In fairness to the shop they probably wouldn't have done that, it would have arrived to them with tube+tyre already fitted.

Am I within my rights to go to the shop with the tube and request a new replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

accensi0n wrote: »
    Am I within my rights to go to the shop with the tube and request a new replacement?
    Oh absolutely, any shop would replace this no question. Tubes are really cheap in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

no bike company would send a bike out like this, it was obviously a dodgey tube replaced by the shop during them building the bike.

ive seen this done lots of times by a certain bike shop in fairview:mad:

lots of cowboys out there:mad:

you should really name the shop that did this:mad:

really poor form tbh, if you dont have the tube you dont have the tube end of, id go in and milk it for all its worth!

whatever about a huge mtb tyre, a small racer tyre, fair play for even getting the tyre to sit right!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I doubt you're going to get much change from them to be honest, except for possibly a goodwill gesture of a new tube - looking at it from their point of view, how can you/they prove that that's the tyre that came with the bike, unless it punctured as you were leaving the shop. Yes it's shoddy, yes it's dangerous, yes it's bad, but unfortunately it's probably a wear'n'tear matter - tubes puncture...
    Your best bet is probably to play the innocent card - bring the wheel/tyre/tube back, and explain you got a puncture, and need a new tube - is it normal for the tube to be doubled over like this (well that's the way it came on the bike), or do they have a better fitting one?
    Tough one - let's know it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

they're 700 rims, so can't see how the tube is the wrong size... however I've had this happen to me too with a batch of very cheap tubes I bought in Decathlon.

I usually just change a tube instead or repairing punctures and Decathlon were selling 10 tubes for €10. I reckon you get what you pay for, and the tube just stretched...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

milod wrote: »
    they're 700 rims, so can't see how the tube is the wrong size... however I've had this happen to me too with a batch of very cheap tubes I bought in Decathlon.

I usually just change a tube instead or repairing punctures and Decathlon were selling 10 tubes for €10. I reckon you get what you pay for, and the tube just stretched...

they could be 28" for the old types, but i agree that it couldnt possibly have that much excess to be able to double over:confused:
    however those rims come in two different sizes afaik 700c and 571c, maybe you have the smaller size and the used a 28" tube??

possible ****e tubes, id still go in and tell them the puncture was because the tube was defective/wrong size tbh:)
    dont say its punctured:);)

• Advertisement

I'll be going in on Saturday so ask for a replacement tube. Will check the other tube first to make sure it's not the same thing.

And yes, the tube IS doubled over that much.

I'll let yas know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

would think it is a 28 inch tube myself but still not convinced. OP, can you check the tube for the size. it should be stamped on it somewhere usually near the valve.

Very odd.

Advertisement