Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Firm Anyone

• 27-04-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭

Well after a superb start start by Rangers sticking two early on to go two one up after an early Celtic goal, Celtic have equalised with a minute to go before half time. Not as dirty a match as I have seen in the past. McGeady is looking lively.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ill NEVER understand the SPL. It honestly seems like Rangers play Celtic at least once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well there is a chance of that towards the end of a season up there anyway. TBF, it is not that hard to understand, there are less teams and so each team plays each other more times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Well there is a chance of that towards the end of a season up there anyway. TBF, it is not that hard to understand, there are less teams and so each team plays each other more times.

Well Im a retard ok. No need to rub it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

eZe^ wrote: »
    Ill NEVER understand the SPL. It honestly seems like Rangers play Celtic at least once a month.

Great match so far, Mcgeady has their full back in his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Yeah great match,i think theres gonna be more goals,i hope more in Rangers net;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Goal 1 - slightly offside
    Goal 2 - Weir with the back of his head (zonal marking WTF?)
    Goal 3 - great header from Cousin (zonal marking WTF?)
    Goal 4 - great goal from McDonald with great work from McGeady

eZe^ wrote: »

12 teams play 38 games = they play each other more than twice

And i dont get how Celtics defence allowed to make twice same mistake and get 2 same goals....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Celtic up 3-2 after a peno

:):):)

• Advertisement

Victory,nice very nice,3 more to win and let hoping Rangers will draw and lose in next period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Must be very frustrating for a Rangers fan to be so many games behind, puts a lot of pressure on them to win their games in hand.

Maybe pressure will crack them and.....Celtic champions:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Delighted with the result, it makes the season a little interesting again, although i cant see Rangers throwing this away

Me neither but theres hope till last moment;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Goal 1 - slightly offside
    Goal 2 - Weir with the back of his head (zonal marking WTF?)
    Goal 3 - great header from Cousin (zonal marking WTF?)
    Goal 4 - great goal from McDonald with great work from McGeady

Goal 1: McDonald, OFFSIDE.
    Goal 2, 3 and 4 i agree with you
    Goal 4: McDonald Offside as the ball goes through, McDonald Outside the box as he backs into boradfoot to win the "Foul"

In between, Caldwel, Naylor and Robson and Hartley do nothing but kick kick and kick again.
    and dont even get me started on Hessilinks Assault on Amdy Faye.
    2 Handball incidents in celtic penalty area go completely un noticed.

Last week i came on here and openly congratulated celtic on a deserved win, not today.
    You kicked, cheated and fluked your way to that win.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Goal 4: McDonald Offside as the ball goes through, McDonald Outside the box as he backs into boradfoot to win the "Foul"

In between, Caldwel, Naylor and Robson and Hartley do nothing but kick kick and kick again.

Last week i came on here and openly congratulated celtic on a deserved win, not today.
    You kicked, cheated and fluked your way to that win.

LOL :D

3-2 to the champs. That is all.

PauloMN wrote: »
    LOL :D

3-2 to the champs. That is all.

Good point Paul...very well put across.

• Advertisement

McDonald was not offside for the peno incident. Broadfoot takes him down in the box and should consider himself lucky he did not get a red card.

JVoH can consider himself lucky he did not get red for that high tackle

The Caldwell handball incident is as much a penalty as the one at the end from Dailly

Very happy today and finally we put a bit of pressure on Rangers although it may be too late.

McDonald was not offside for the peno incident. Broadfoot takes him down in the box and should consider himself lucky he did not get a red card.

JVoH can consider himself lucky he did not get red for that high tackle

The Caldwell handball incident is as much a penalty as the one at the end from Dailly

Very happy today and finally we put a bit of pressure on Rangers although it may be too late.

I admit the dailly incident was as much of a penalty, as BOTH handball incidents.

McDonald stopped and backed into Broadfoot outside the box, he made no effort to go towards the ball.
    Broadfoot as clumsy as he may be, had no option but to run into his back because of this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good point Paul...very well put across.

I'm sorry EB, but hearing a Rangers fan complaining about being kicked off the park has to be the funniest thing I have ever read on this thread to be perfectly honest. I'm still laughing at it.

Alanis Morissette should add that one to her list. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What do we make of Bourc wearing that god bless the pope t-shirt?

RasTa wrote: »

Nothing. What do you make of it?

The Rangers fans are probably complaining to the police again though. ;)

PauloMN wrote: »
    Nothing. What do you make of it?

The Rangers fans are probably complaining to the police again though. ;)

Why bother worrying about that doughball?

He done it for one reason and one alone, we all know that.

As for rangers fans complaining about it....rich coming from Celtic fans who complain about Rangers fans having Union Flags....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think it's a joke that Celtic's own players join in with the nonsense that goes on in these games and portray's Celtic in a very bad light.

Why bother worrying about that doughball?

He done it for one reason and one alone, we all know that.

As for rangers fans complaining about it....rich coming from Celtic fans who complain about Rangers fans having Union Flags....

Celtic fans complaining to the police about flags? When?

As for Boruc, fair play to him. Those nuggets have been giving him dogs abuse about his religion for years every game in Mordor so that may have been his little GIRFUY before he leaves in the summer. Fair play to him.

I think it's a joke that Celtic's own players join in with the nonsense that goes on in these games and portray's Celtic in a very bad light.

Players often have stuff written on their T-shirts. What's the big deal?

Nothing wrong with what he had written on it. If it winds people up, that's their problem.

• Advertisement

Seen Damian Duff, Shay Given and Robbie Keane out and about the West End this evening :) Sorry I have to go to work tomorrow as I would have enjoyed a couple more hours of celebrting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

Mr Borat might well be in deep doo doo from FIFA... he should have stopped and read the rulebook about wearing clothing brandishing something religious....

Certain posters on here really should stop and remember what they bleat on about in the past....

But hey it's the 'Celtic way' after all to sweep sweep sweep things under the carpet.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, Celtic got the result they needed, and whilst its still advantage Rangers on paper, there is definitely a chink in the armour. What with the fixture list pile-up, the advantage that Rangers have is not that great. One draw by Rangers and that will mean a mere 2pts advantage on paper. From here on in its points in the bag that count, and points can be dropped by either team in any match. Thats the nature of the run-in.

It was a good bustling Old Firm match. Celtic's zonal defending at corners was a major problem, but I thought Boruc should have done better on both occasions. A man on the near post may have also helped for the first.

Rangers didnt go defensive from the start but they played a bit which made for a good game I thought as they gave as good as they got. They deserved goals overall. As did Celtic. McGeady didnt seem to be getting much of the ball early on but did get into it, McDonald was playing well. Robbo had a good game in the centre of the park. Nakamure was also more effective than he usually is. VofH was also a presence up there. Rangers missed Cuellar.

The 1st goal was slightly offside but the linesman mis-judged that.
    McDonald stopped and backed into Broadfoot outside the box, he made no effort to go towards the ball.
    Broadfoot as clumsy as he may be, had no option but to run into his back because of this.

That's called shielding. If you get to a ball first, as McDonald did, and someone runs up behind you and bundles you over, its a foul. There is no question about that. And that's what happened, check out a replay again (in real time and slow-mo). Broadfoot should have checked his run when seeing that McDonald was going to get to the ball first. He clearly had the option.

I think overall, Rangers whilst playing well, cant be too miffed at the result in a close match. They still have everything to play for.

Btw, Robson's technique for the penalty wasnt that great if you ask me, a blast close to the centre. Celtic need a penalty taker, but no-one seems willing to step up to the plate. That's not a good sign.

Redspider

redspider wrote: »
    VofH was also a presence up there. Rangers missed Cuellar.

The 1st goal was slightly offside but the linesman mis-judged that.

That's called shielding. If you get to a ball first, as McDonald did, and someone runs up behind you and bundles you over, its a foul. There is no question about that. And that's what happened, check out a replay again (in real time and slow-mo). Broadfoot should have checked his run when seeing that McDonald was going to get to the ball first. He clearly had the option.

Redspider

Oh yeah, VofH was certainly a presence, the pictures of his "tackle" on Faye will show you that.

The linesman misjudged it....amazing how these mistakes are easily passed off when they go for you lot isnt it?

And its only called shielding when you are in control of the ball, when your not...its called obstruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I sense the bitterness is strong in this one!

Amazing day, victory for all those who's hearts are pure.

I sense the bitterness is strong in this one!

Amazing day, victory for all those who's hearts are pure.

Not bitterness CC, more a sense of disbelief at one of the most inept performances i have seen from a team of officials in my life.

As i said before, i will quite regularly give Celtic credit, when it is due, i dont feel it was due yesterday.

I can see the mistakes that Rangers made in their game yesterday, we sat back too deep in the second half, and should have went for the kill when we had the chance.

But all in all i feel we deserved something from that game but to my mind a number of mistakes from the ref and his assistants made that impossible.

Personally i would have had venegoor up on assault charges for this.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wasn't that long ago that the word 'cheat' was flying around for weeks from some posters in here after an OF game.....

But at the end of the day destiny is still in our own hands.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Jaysus Eirebear do you not know anything about satellitte TV and officials, sure the team that's behind must be given the benefit of the doubt in all cases to extend the season just look at the Man U/ Chelsea 'penalty', the season must be kept alive as long as possible;)

patmac wrote: »
    Jaysus Eirebear do you not know anything about satellitte TV and officials, sure the team that's behind must be given the benefit of the doubt in all cases to extend the season just look at the Man U/ Chelsea 'penalty', the season must be kept alive as long as possible;)

You know what. I have been doing my best not to entertain such thoughts, im happy to put it down as the referee having a shocker.

One look across to the east end of this fine city can show me what paranoia does to people.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If Boruc does get in trouble, i hope FIFA/UEFA will also be retrospectively be dealing with Kaka and his "I Belong To Jesus" t-shirt at last years CL final.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If Boruc does get in trouble, i hope FIFA/UEFA will also be retrospectively be dealing with Kaka and his "I Belong To Jesus" t-shirt at last years CL final.

He won't get into trouble. He hasn't done anything to get into trouble for.

It's the usual toys out of the pram act from Rangers fans and the media.

Sure some of the Rangers fans on here just love the prospect of Celtic "getting in trouble", in much the same way that young children do with other children. It never seems to happen though - I wonder why? :confused:

As for the referee yesterday - I thought he had a good game overall. :) The McDonald goal was offside, but it was so marginal and the linesman wasn't quite in line with the player so he couldn't have given offside. Happens all the time. You and I know that only with the replay could you have spotted it was offside.

JVoH's challenge was rash and deserved at least a yellow - I agree he could have seen red, although I do think red would have been a bit harsh. I think to call it an assault is very unfair. He's not a dirty player, bit wild with the arms when going for a header sometimes, but there's no way he'd have intended to hurt Faye.

Broadfoot wrestled McDonald and brought him down in the box and it was a valid penalty. I also think Broadfoot could have seen red, but it was marginal as to whether it was a clear goal scoring opportunity or not.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

Ive still yet to see where Rangers benefit from this season extension....nevermind.

As for Boruc, can i just make it clear that i really dont give a monkey's what he wears under his top?
    The man means absolutely nothing to me.

I think youll find thats 4 days, simply to fit in the possibility of us making the UEFA cup final.

We still have to play 4 games in 8 days, and still have to play 3 games in 6 days including the scottish cup final.

Stick to the facts Ziggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Maybe time to take a deep breath and perhaps a bit of a rest, Eirebear.
    Oh yeah, VofH was certainly a presence, the pictures of his "tackle" on Faye will show you that.

There were fouls made by both sets of players. Some bad and they were punished with bookings. I thought the ref let a lot go for both sides. Celtic had 4 players booked after 58 mins to Rangers none. There were 43 fouls in the match, which is high.

> The linesman misjudged it....amazing how these mistakes are easily passed off when they go for you lot isnt it?

These things happen. Linesmen do not have the benefit of slow-mo replays to make a decision. They make mistakes both ways. This one, McDonald was coming from an onside position and moved to an offside position at some speed, so its a snapshot decision. The linesman got it wrong by milliseconds, not yards. Anyway, Rangers came back in the match and were 2-1 up so it didnt have a bearing on the overall result.

> And its only called shielding when you are in control of the ball, when your not...its called obstruction.

No, thats not true. You are not allowed to bundle over a player even if they havent touched the ball. If this was over at the sideline and a defender was shepherding the ball out, and bundled over by a forward, of course it would be a free kick. Its not obstruction because Broadfoot didnt have the ball before that and certainly didnt have control over it when McDonald was on the ball.

One thing I think was close was whether it was inside the box or not. The foul looks like it may have 'commenced' outside the box, and may have 'ended' inside the box, so awarding a penalty was not an unusual or strange decision.

I think the best thing that Rangers fans should do now, is concentrate on the games they have ahead. Its Fiorentina next I presume and there is some work to do in that tie. An away goal is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Redspider

4 days to accomodate the possibility of ONE game ziggy, the fixtures have not been spread out in any way other than that.

I find it quite bizzare that I am being treated as if i am some sort of paranoid lunatic for having a grievance with the referees performance yesterday.

By Celtic fans....who are praising the referee........parallel universe? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I have a calm serene feeling today, laughing at the excuses here that perhaps on another day I might take issue with.

Can't wait to get home and put on the hoops, my heart is bursting with pride.

I find it absolutly hilarious when a Celtic supporter comes on and mentions the so called 'Rangers media'..... yet again some of you should take stock before you type such nonsense..... there is a saying about TGFITW supporters and the truth but that would be petty after all ;);)

EBear 5 wins out of 6 and the title is back home..... FACT

• Advertisement
Advertisement