Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Condell

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

theozster wrote: »
    Just sit back and let other people fight for your freedom.
    So, where's this fight take place?

*pulls up chair*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

as i said he is a catastrophist he is blowing it way out of proportion, the Muslim religion is just the vehicle in which to deliver their hate, its not the cause, saying that Muslim all want to destroy the western culture and that its somehow ingrained in their coran is stupid, he mentions numerous times not all Muslims are fanatical and are reasonable but continues with the generalizations regardless, the reason why some fundamentalist Muslim believe western culture to be a threat is not religion it is something deeper, religion is just a means to rally people to a cause, if there was no religion i believe we would still have the same problem, it would just be more political, there has always been huge tension between Europe and the middle east even before Judea Christian religion, it is cultural tension that has not been resolved in a long time and is being fueled by trolls like Mr condell on the side lines spreading hate and fear just like the Muslims that all want us dead, does condell know that nearly all fundamentalist leaders who cause alot of this fear mongering studied in the west and are well versed in western philosophy? especially marx...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Zillah wrote: »
    What? Yes it does. White people are all white because they share the same genes for skin pigmentation. Black people have similar hair because they share the same genes for hair. Different diseases and conditions are more prevalent among different races.

Of course there's a basis. Its genetic.

I think what he means is that recent genetic studies has found that there is little genetic basis for the classical idea of races. Two African men can have as much or more genetic difference as a European man and an African man.

All humans on Earth developed from a handful of humans who lived between 100,000 and 70,000 years ago. The population at one point has been estimated as low as 20,000 humans who lived in a small area and would have been very similar genetically.

There is simply not enough genetic difference between humans to separate them into "races". The classical view of race is based on what humans consider to be obviously important phenotypes, such as skin colour, but these have no greater importance than any other phenotype from a genetic point of view.

A tall black man can be as genetically different to a short black man as a tall black man can be to a tall white man, its just we pick the skin colour phenotype as having greater importance than height in defining this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Are you his lover?

Esteban I am shaking my head sir/mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Dades wrote: »
    So, where's this fight take place?

*pulls up chair*

Thought that would be be obvious! In the hearts and minds of people. Where else does it matter? Certainly not the streets of Baghdad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Wicknight wrote: »
    I think what he means is that recent genetic studies has found that there is little genetic basis for the classical idea of races. Two African men can have as much or more genetic difference as a European man and an African man.

All humans on Earth developed from a handful of humans who lived between 100,000 and 70,000 years ago. The population at one point has been estimated as low as 20,000 humans who lived in a small area and would have been very similar genetically.

There is simply not enough genetic difference between humans to separate them into "races". The classical view of race is based on what humans consider to be obviously important phenotypes, such as skin colour, but these have no greater importance than any other phenotype from a genetic point of view.

A tall black man can be as genetically different to a short black man as a tall black man can be to a tall white man, its just we pick the skin colour phenotype as having greater importance than height in defining this person.
    Well put; I'd just like to add a couple of links that Zillah can check out for more: this recent study undertaken by researchers in Cambridge, and some stats here from the Geosciences institute at Carleton University in Canada. "Race" is a meaningless concept when there is as great a genetic difference between individuals within a given grouping. Freckled people may be more likely to sunburn than non-freckled people, but we don't segregate them into societal groupings on the basis of their propensity to tan or fry. Why not? Because we know full-well that a freckled person overall can have less or more physiological features in common with a non-freckled person; we cannot make a generalisation. The same is true of "race", but it seems to be deeply ingrained in the human psyche that the opposite is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

sometimes you do my posting for me..only better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Esteban I am shaking my head sir/mam.

Did you not see the guys post? It was like he knew Condell personally.

I don't know if you like football, but its similar to the time Dunphy defended Roy Keane when he left Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

That was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

stevejazzx wrote: »
    sometimes you do my posting for me..only better!

that's what your wife says :eek::cool::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

that's what your wife says :eek::cool::pac:

hey when you're doing my wifes 'posting' I be over be at your house 'taking in your mamas washing'.......how dya like them apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DanCorb

Pat Condell is a hero and I think his videos should be shown in Religion class in secondary schools. Well presented videos like his would give the students a clear understanding of the opposition's viewpoint.

Advertisement