Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VS2008 Standard versus Pro for Mobile Devices

Options
  • 27-04-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

VS Developers,

I have a copy of Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition and I need to develop an application for Windows Mobile 2003 & 5.0 devices. I looked at the product comparison between VS 2008 Standard versus Professional editions at the following page.

Under the category ‘Platform Compatibility -> Smart Device Development’ there doesn’t appear to be any support for the Standard edition in development for mobile devices, yet its possible to download the SDK’s freely from this page.

So I’m a little confused and does anyone know if its possible to install the SDK’s along side the Standard Edition of VS 2008 and develop for Windows Mobile 2003 & 5.0 devices? Or do I need to fork out for the professional edition?

TIA> :)

Philbert.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It certainly seems to be the case that you need pro
    http://www.modaco.com/content/windows-mobile-news/261879/visual-studio-2008-on-msdn-mobile-developers-get-a-rough-deal/#entry862537

Not sure how it'll work with the SDK, but I'd imagine it'll install fine, you just won't get any of the VS integration. You can develop fine using the SDK writing all your code in notepad and using the command line tools to build, deploy etc. So for any kind of VS integration I'd imagine what you'd need to do is to build your own project manually, then setup some build events etc to launch emulators or deploy to a device and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Greetings

I tried to install the SDKs about two months ago. They will not install because your PC will fail the Prerequisites Check if you only have the standard version of VS2008.

You'll need to either go for VS2008 Pro version or above OR I think that you can use the standard version of VS2005 (but obviously you're then losing out on all of the extra functionality that VS2008 provides).

If you do manage to get them installed let me know?

NB: I have just read your post again and realised that I was talking about my attempt at installing Mobile 6 SDK. I'll leave my above reply in place just in case it's applicable to you. Would still like to hear how you get on though.

McGintyMcGoo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

WinMo 5 SDK definitely works with vs2005 standard, & I think, but could be wrong, that it also installs stand alone.

Advertisement