Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tweak UAC for Vista.

• 27-04-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭

TweakUAC has the option to run UAC in "Quite Mode" but when I set it to that option Vista pops up the red warning box in the system tray saying that UAC is turned off, what's that all about?

The three options are Fully on, Quite Mode & Fully off.

You would imagine that if it does what it says on the tin, that it wouldn't be reported as "Off" by Vista while set to "Quite Mode"?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I haven't tried it but it does sound like something is screwed up. UAC should still be on, just the dialogs suppressed. That's my understanding of quiet mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

go into the control panel, then windows security centre. In there there should be a section called "change how security centre notifies me"
    You should be able to disable the alerts for UAC here iirc (not in front of a copy of Vista to confirm it though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Sherifu wrote: »
    I haven't tried it but it does sound like something is screwed up. UAC should still be on, just the dialogs suppressed. That's my understanding of quiet mode.

That's my take on it too.

I wonder why though?
    tman wrote: »
    go into the control panel, then windows security centre. In there there should be a section called "change how security centre notifies me"
    You should be able to disable the alerts for UAC here iirc (not in front of a copy of Vista to confirm it though)

Yes, I can do that but surely it defeats the purpose?

The whole idea of TweakUAC is to leave it on without the warning is it not?

I mean if I just go to security centre & do it that way, why the need for TweakUAC at all?

:confused:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

As far as I know, Tweak UAC changes one of the security settings in the Local Security Policy. You can do it manually using the following method:

Run secpol.msc
    Go to Local Policies, then Security Options

Near the bottom there will be an option labelled "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode". By default it will be set as "prompt for consent". It can be changed to "Elevate without Prompting" which will basically shut UAC up.

Windows will report UAC as being off but it is in fact still on, just not as securely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well, it looks like that's just the way it is...

I found this on their site.

Note that if you turn UAC off or switch it to operate in the “quiet” mode, Vista starts displaying a warning message in its taskbar. You can turn that message off, though: double-click on the shield icon in the taskbar to open Windows Security Center. Then click on the “Change the way Security Center alerts me” link, in the left panel. Finally, choose one of the “Don’t notify me” options.

Note also that if you have used the Local Security Policy tool of Windows Vista to change the advanced configuration options of UAC, they will not be affected by TweakUAC; you would have to use the Local Security Policy tool to modify them.

http://www.tweak-uac.com/what-is-tweak-uac/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

-annex- wrote: »
    As far as I know, Tweak UAC changes one of the security settings in the Local Security Policy. You can do it manually using the following method:
    Run secpol.msc
    Go to Local Policies, then Security Options
    I get windows can't find secpol.msc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

I get windows can't find secpol.msc

Secpol.msc is only available on Vista Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise. If you're on Home Basic or Premium you have to do it through the registry. However I wouldn't advise it unless you're comfortable with using the registry.
    It's just one value to change anyway.
    Run regedit.exe
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    and on the right hand side right click on ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin then modify and change the value to 0.
    To restore it change the value back to 2.

TweakUAC likely does this or the secpol method so you can use it if it's easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

-annex- wrote: »
    Secpol.msc is only available on Vista Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise. If you're on Home Basic or Premium you have to do it through the registry. However I wouldn't advise it unless you're comfortable with using the registry.
    It's just one value to change anyway.
    Run regedit.exe
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    and on the right hand side right click on ConsentPromptBehaviorAdminModify and change the value to 0.
    To restore it change the value back to 2.

TweakUAC likely does this or the secpol method so you can use it if it's easier.
    tweakUAC works for me anyway and yes home premium so no secpol and not going near registry

Advertisement