Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista SP1

2»

Comments

astrofool wrote: »
    Are you sure they're not configured as RAID in the bios?

I have a few nVidia boards with Vista, and all show up correctly, along with SMART data. Which chipset? (nVidia make crap IDE devices anyway, and has lead me to stay away from them at all costs of late).

Nope, RAID is off in the BIOS - I've tested it on two machines, one with a 650i and another with a 570 SLI. If I use the generic IDE driver the disk is detected as "ST3250820AS ATA Device" with SMART readable. If I use the XP MediaShield driver that works fine too but I don't know whether to trust it stability-wise. Yet if I use the default NVIDIA storage driver which comes with Vista or the MediaShield one in the nForce driver package it shows up as a "ST3 250820AS SCSI Disk Device" with SMART unreadable. One of the drivers offered by Windows Update actually put the SATA controllers in the SCSI category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I have an Intel P35 board here, 3 hard drives attached, 2 in RAID. The standalone drive is SMART accessible. nVidia have really dropped the ball on their motherboards and their drivers imo.

astrofool wrote: »
    I have an Intel P35 board here, 3 hard drives attached, 2 in RAID. The standalone drive is SMART accessible. nVidia have really dropped the ball on their motherboards and their drivers imo.
    I agree, as a result I've been looking at a P35 or P45 board for my own rig. I have the 650i board mentioned in my previous post, an Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI, but the thing bugging me most about it is a buggy BIOS more than the chipset but the chipset does have some woes too.

Anyway back on topic, I did a clean install of Vista Business SP1 last week. There's some very slight cosmetic changes to the installation procedure but nothing obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Finally got it working thanks to a long and arduous process.

Back up important files.
    Reinstall Vista Business.
    Tweak it back to the way I like it.
    Update through Windows Update as far as I could go.
    Update every driver possible using a program called Driver Detective.
    Install a few programs.
    Notice that SP1 is now available.
    Do an official drive back-up image just in case.
    Install SP1 with fingers crossed.
    Shout Woo Hoo when it worked.

Haven't noticed anything as of yet being differrent, but I haven't had a chance to mess about much.

Advertisement