Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spammer Notification Thread (2008-2011)

Options
  • 27-04-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Please feel free to post any users you consider spamming boards.ie in this thread. Either post the post url/address or the users url/address from their profile. A link would be preferable. An Admin or Smod will come along and take a look at the spam and take action accordingly.

Find a spammer and win some thanks from a SMod if you're lucky :)
    /Gordon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=155492
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nuked his posts and banned him from the music category. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

He's busy too!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

not any more he isnt.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lulz

Working on a Sunday is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sherifu wrote: »

I'm not defending spam but is he actually breaking any rules? In the Your Bands Music thread Giblet said "post links to your music here. I wanna hear some music". They're playing in Cork so the Cork City forum is valid. The Pimp Your Band forum is obviously the right area. The Gigs and Events posts are talking about the gigs and mentioning the next ones as is the post in the Upcoming Gigs and Events in the Experimental Music forum. And all his posts are over the course of a month so it's not just regging and spamming every forum.

NB - I didn't see the original spammers posts before they were deleted - this is just about Heliopause.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Their only contribution to this site is to pimp their band/albums/gigs repeatedly. I'd call that spam.

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'm not defending spam but is he actually breaking any rules? In the Your Bands Music thread Giblet said "post links to your music here. I wanna hear some music". They're playing in Cork so the Cork City forum is valid. The Pimp Your Band forum is obviously the right area. The Gigs and Events posts are talking about the gigs and mentioning the next ones as is the post in the Upcoming Gigs and Events in the Experimental Music forum. And all his posts are over the course of a month so it's not just regging and spamming every forum.

NB - I didn't see the original spammers posts before they were deleted - this is just about Heliopause.
    Advertising by creating multiple identical threads...hmmm that reminds me of the definition of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 heliopause

I apologise for posting my flier multiple times. Its very hard to catch peoples attention though! There are so many different forums for one thing. MUSIC. It seems a bit silly. So I put the flier in places where i thought people would be interested in it. I did not put it in the Automobiles section or anywhere like that so I did not actually spam!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's spam. I've left some of the links in some of the music fora as they may be ok for this type of advertising - Pimp My Band for example.
    heliopause wrote: »
    I apologise for posting my flier multiple times. Its very hard to catch peoples attention though!
    That's one of the arguments posed by spammers when they justify spamming millions and millions of spam emails every day. The other argument is that they are only providing something to the public that they will most likely want.
    There are so many different forums for one thing. MUSIC. It seems a bit silly. So I put the flier in places where i thought people would be interested in it. I did not put it in the Automobiles section or anywhere like that so I did not actually spam!
    You put it in Cork, Experimental Music, Alternative & Indie, Music, Gigs & Events, Bands and Musicians and Pimp your Band. Imagine if every band that had a gig on posted their gig in all of those forums - do you think that they would be bogged down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 heliopause

It's spam. I've left some of the links in some of the music fora as they may be ok for this type of advertising - Pimp My Band for example.

Ok, I am not trying to spam, I was just trying to let the people who have seen the band before know that they can pick up the EP if they want to. And as regards the experimental forum, the oldest post on the 1st page is from 1/4/'08. What harm would it have done??? The other forums are fairly busy and probably would not be as interested so I should not have posted there.
    You put it in Cork, Experimental Music, Alternative & Indie, Music, Gigs & Events, Bands and Musicians and Pimp your Band. Imagine if every band that had a gig on posted their gig in all of those forums - do you think that they would be bogged down?

What might be a good idea here would be an event guide for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Posted deleted - one day ban and pm asking them to refrain from cross posting. Clearly did not read the welcome mail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,168 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

spamcat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Sherifu wrote: »
    does he ever go away... this the 14th account now afaik?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

nevf wrote: »
    does he ever go away... this the 14th account now afaik?

Make that 15th:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=158092

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

NOW i understand what spamming is.

Sort of like those annoying gimps who hand out flyers in the street,

Only on d'internet.

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Indeed. Thanks Sheriff. Users banned and PMd respectively.

No bother, everyone hates spammers.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement