Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spammer Notification Thread (2008-2011)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

watna wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=196140 - user ITTMMA spamming some kind of fitness crap

Nukeage please

EDIT: Weirdly, I tried banning him/her from celeb and showbiz but got a message saying he/she has chosen not to receive pms or is not allowed to receive them. Not sure if the ban has gone through now.
    That went through, yea. The reason you got that was because after you ban someone you get an optional chance to send a PM to notify the user of the ban. You did this but then got the error as they have PMs switched off. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=203769

Spamming his forum on the Dance board

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Idiot spamming password software on Fashion & Appearance, of all places... :confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055463886

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ailtiling - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=193848

spamming tiling company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Question for the smods:
    If there is a user who is newly registered but who is behaving in a way atypical of such, should I (we) flag it?
    I noticed someone tonight replying to a lot of threads with '+1' or 'lol that's funny' and nothing else (40ish posts, all the same).
    It seems to me that such behaviour is a bit odd and I've seen it more than once so I guess what I'm asking is should it be flagged here as SITW or would it be pointless until they actually start trolling or spamming?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SteveC wrote: »
    Question for the smods:
    If there is a user who is newly registered but who is behaving in a way atypical of such, should I (we) flag it?
    I noticed someone tonight replying to a lot of threads with '+1' or 'lol that's funny' and nothing else (40ish posts, all the same).
    It seems to me that such behaviour is a bit odd and I've seen it more than once so I guess what I'm asking is should it be flagged here as SITW or would it be pointless until they actually start trolling or spamming?
    I imagine they are bumping their postcount to use some of the features restricted for new posters or soccer access request.

• Advertisement

I imagine they are bumping their postcount to use some of the features restricted for new posters or soccer access request.
    Yes, something along those lines. Soccer also has a 3 month join date though afaik. It could also be to get pm rights or something (which is also now postcount restricted afaik).

I'm just wondering if it should be reported here or would it just be a waste of the smods time as there is no actual rule breach being committed yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would.

Anyway I trust a Soccer Mod would check over their post history and see what a gobshyte they are, so no harm done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SteveC - that's one of the basic characteristics of a spammer. Name and shame!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm just wondering if it should be reported here or would it just be a waste of the smods time as there is no actual rule breach being committed yet.
    I reckon 5 of them a day isn't a waste of time. 100 a day would be. My view is throw in those who you reckon are more than likely in your opinion taking the proverbial (we've had a few banned reregers sending PM spam and sometimes it's nice to be aware of the possibilities).

Label them nice and clearly so it doesn't cause the spammers to get less attention, keep in mind that some completely innocent people never really go beyond +1s. Use best judgement, people who post on this thread already tend to have that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When someone tries to start a pyramid scheme in AH using their real name and address, is it ok to sign them up for junk mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You mean that has happened to you? What is the internet coming to? :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    SteveC - that's one of the basic characteristics of a spammer. Name and shame!
    sceptre wrote: »
    My view is throw in those who you reckon are more than likely in your opinion taking the proverbial (we've had a few banned reregers sending PM spam and sometimes it's nice to be aware of the possibilities).

The user looks innocent in what they are posting and the last thing I wast to do is draw unwarranted attention to someone genuine but having signed up yesterday, they already have 40 posts (all variations of '+1', 'lol', or 'that was funny') in the humour forum. That seems like odd behaviour to me. Have a look at the first page in the forum and it's hard to miss.
    User.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A new user also needs 25 posts before they are allowed a sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=168464
    Remco W=

It's similar nonsense each time...well, with the exception of 1 one time when he posted a video of a monkey jerking off. It's spam at this point, Shirley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Yes, something along those lines. Soccer also has a 3 month join date though afaik. It could also be to get pm rights or something (which is also now postcount restricted afaik).

AFAIK PMs aren't restricted to postcount because some people only ever use adverts.ie and so never clock up a postcount.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=204576

In helpdesk of all places.. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=204698
    kimosh
    Conceive faster? No thanks.

dcharkin spamming fashion and appearance.

mejina spamming fashion and appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Victor wrote: »
    I didnt like the fact that she had to quote her own post in gigantic text. Temp site banned.

Smod needs to look at this please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

michelleann journo-spam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement