Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiding your gender?

• 27-04-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever tried hiding their gender when applying for any kind of teaching, to escape a gender bias? Is it done, or would it be simply too weird?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What like putting your first initial instead of your name on your CV/ application form?

Never done it, never heard of anyone else doing it either.
    Call me naive but I think schools have a lot more to think about like getting a teacher that is qualified (especially if it is a minority subject) than worrying about if the candidate is male or female.

On another note, I did my teacher training in UL, there were always one or two girls in the woodwork teaching class and the occasional girl in the metalwork teaching class, and they never had trouble finding work, in what might possibly be seen as a male role and a boys subject.

The physics teacher left a few years back in the school I work in and we were expecting that a man would replace him. He was replaced by a woman. We asked the vice-principal if there had been many male applicants and he told us that only 1 in 5 were male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They'll realise your gender quick enough and if it bothers them (which it shouldn't) they will do something about it then as if they had known first day. But in reality it should make no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

It's not right but I know sometimes a certain gender is needed...as in in our school we badly need another male P.E. teacher, changing rooms etc. So if the job has already been signposted for a certain gender I'd imagine there is little you can do. In my opinion little point anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Thanks. The initial + surname is a good idea. I think I'll use that from now on.

Well it wasn't really a suggestion. I don't think there's a need to hide your gender. I think i would find it quite odd if i was trying to organise interviews and having to phone a person or write to a person when i didn't have a definitive form of address for them.

So you will end up getting calls like 'May I speak to M. Murphy - what's your first name?' or letters Dear M. Murphy because there will be no Mr/Ms on your CV. You certainly won't be able to say either that you were overlooked for interview on the grounds of gender because they won't have that information. Personally I wouldn't like to be starting an interview with one of the panel looking at your CV going 'What's your name again? Why didn't you put it on your CV?'

To be honest I really don't think it's an issue, if you are male I wouldn't think you would have any problems getting interviews assuming you have the relevant qualifications/experience as less men are going into teaching now. And if you are female, well the same holds, the majority of teaching applications are women so you would at least be on a par with most other applicants. As gaeilgegrinds said if a job is earmarked for a certain gender in the first place, there isn't much you can do. We had the same PE teacher problem last year.

If you are good enough for the job your gender shouldn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

Thanks. The initial + surname is a good idea. I think I'll use that from now on.

What difference will that make ? - you will have to attend interview prior to anybody being offered the job -
    where they will see gender of all candidates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I never really thought of gender discrimination to teachers really before now.

In the secondary school I went to there were only two female teachers, and all the rest were male, about 30 other teachers I reckon. All boys school obviously.

I suppose it balances out though in that girl schools will be the opposite; so unless you're desperate as a male to get into a girls school I wouldn't think it would be necessary to secure a job... unless you had ulterior motives <insert innuendo here> :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

If you are good enough for the job your gender shouldn't matter.
    I might have believed that before. I don't believe it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Are you male? Because I know all my male teacher friends walked into jobs.

Are you male? Because I know all my male teacher friends walked into jobs.

I'd say the same, all my male teaching friends have always found it easy enough to find work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I know a male who didn't get a job against a female coz she was also local! Lots of factors!
    Think theres no point hiding gender as you won't get any job offer until they know you better anyways so be honest from day 1. Your cv would just look like an idiots cv if it said M. Murphy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lilachic

Hi there,

I am currently completing a masters in HRM and have a 2:1 hons degree in Business.
    Iv always wanted to be in the teaching profession either as a secondary school teacher or as a lecturer in an IT.
    However, I cannot decide which career route to take.
    I would love a secondary school teaching role but am put off by the bad manners and attitude of the students, they seem to have no regard for anything and the parents always take their child's side - so you cant win!

In terms of lecturing, im worried that I wont be able to make a life long career out of it and will be continuously looking for jobs year after year.
    I am working in HR at the moment to build up my experience for lecturing in the HR field- as I only have 8months experience to date.

They say you don't know a job until your'e in it, so id be very greatful to anyone who is in or has been in a teaching or lecturing post for any advice.

Many thanks,
    Lilachic

Advertisement