Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Settlement cracks or more serious.

• 27-04-2008 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Would someone please give these pics a look and tell me if these are settlement cracks or something more serious.

Also what would I need to do to repair, house is 12 months old.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Difficult to say but you may have a slight bit of settlement or it may be poor plastering around the wallplate/ceiling joint.

Is the house still under warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

looks like more cracking than one would expect . are these at roof level ? - looks like unwanted movement there . you need a structural engineer to inspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Theres water coming from one of these cracks now. VBAD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 biere_dor

It's difficult to tell from these photo's but one its looks like very bad plastering, am I right in saying that just the joints are taped and filled. Two it could be structural, the joint with the wall and ceiling look very bad. Where is the water coming from, is there an onsuite/boiler/water cistern etc above it. Bad dampness can cause this type of damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Looks to me like damp timber used in the first fix . As it drys out it pulls out from masonry. And cracks plaster on its way. I have seen so many first fix chippys on price , steel nail a stud to a block wall with only 2 nails as opposed to a nail in ever block. Same with joists. Hard to tell from pic. But I have dealt with this a few times and it seem to be the case. Looks like some type of boxing or soffit.

fillers and paint will make it disappear hopefully. Most builders will not fix settling cracks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The water was another issue related to a two year old overflowing a sink..

Back to the cracks would you say chipping out the flaky plaster and redoing myself then painting should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

no . see post 3

Advertisement