Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica may give next album free

• 27-04-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

"Metallica, once strongly opposed to file-sharing, has hinted at going 'free' in the style of NIN and Radiohead. Having heard success stories about releasing music online, Metallica has decided it wants a piece of the action. Radiohead, as a pioneer of online 'pay what you want' music, has shown the world it is possible to profit by releasing music online, but would not post those profits. NIN, on the other hand, has reported at least $1.6 million in revenue. In hindsight, many people remember Metallica as the band that helped shutdown Napster. I purchased the NIN album, after many years of free downloads of the NIN collection, to help support the band. Would you buy a Metallica online album despite their former views?"

Source Slashdot

Anyone else remember the napster days of ulrich rattlin on bout downloading music, wonder what his initial thoughts on this were :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Well, if it's anything like St. Anger, it would want to be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

In fairness, they owe everyone who bought stanger a refund :pac:

It's not a surprise, really. They've been trying to make amends with the whole livemetallica thing and, fairly predictably, they're looking to appear as if they're in touch with "the fans, man" and try to garner some goodwill on the coat-tails of a couple of bands with unquenchable street cred.

In the absense of any musical direction or inspiration, it might prolong the inevitable for another couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Max_Damage wrote: »

Weird, I thought the exact same thing when I saw the thread title!

STOP READING MY THOUGHTS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If Metallica were to produce another Ride The Lightning then I for one would have no problem paying for it. On the other hand, they should pay me for having to sit through their recent releases!

The thing about the release of Radiohead's In Rainbows album is that the true figures are hard to find. Depending on their agenda, online sources will report that they either lost a load of money or made a load of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I really dont think it's up to the band to decide on the price on their music since they are bound to a contract with the Record/Publishing company...and if the news were to be true then my guess is that the record company had made a full markting study and are sure of a sizable profit...after all its a busniess and not just music!

note: I did like one song on St. Anger - Some Kind Of Monster, haven't listened to the album for over 2 years now. I think the new album is a return to their roots (which every band seems to be doing)..would still buy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I liked St.Anger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Metallica would be crap if they just churned out Ride the Lightning esque stuff every album..their music would be boring and sound the same..just look at some of Megadeth's stuff!

It's just like NIN have evolved..[WITH TEETH] and Year Zero were very different to Downward Spiral but I like them equally.If bands brought out the same sounding stuff over and over,we'd get tired of them pretty quickly!

/end rant

I don't really mind what they do,I will be buying the CD regardless..I like the authenticity of a CD..something you don't get from a computer file!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jumping on the bandwagon much.

guess if this goes down, lars won't be able to afford that gold plated shark tank bar at his poolside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

also liked St Anger quite a lot, in fact just listened to it yesterday , in the movie some kind of monster there is a scene where they discuss what bands are now doing when the release new Cd's to get people to buy rather download , like release it wit a free DVD etc
    Kill Em All is still my fave though !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Max_Damage wrote: »
    orestes wrote: »
    Weird, I thought the exact same thing when I saw the thread title!

STOP READING MY THOUGHTS!

:eek: The only reason I clicked into this thread was to post that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek: The only reason I clicked into this thread was to post that!

You get out of my head aswell! :mad:

*puts on tinfoil hat to stop people reading his thoughts*

• Advertisement

Suff wrote: »
    I really dont think it's up to the band to decide on the price on their music since they are bound to a contract with the Record/Publishing company...
    The article I read states that it's the album after the next one that could be released for free. Their next album is the last one they are contracted to release through Warner Bros.
    eroo wrote:
    I don't really mind what they do,I will be buying the CD regardless..I like the authenticity of a CD..something you don't get from a computer file!
    All my CDs sit on their cases on a shelf. They get played once when I rip them to MP3 or FLAC and that's generally it. What do you mean by authenticity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Cremo wrote: »
    jumping on the bandwagon much.

guess if this goes down, lars won't be able to afford that gold plated shark tank bar at his poolside

How is it jumping on a band wagon? The way bands sell music is changing, soon all bands will doing it like this in some form or other..

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

malice_ wrote: »
    All my CDs sit on their cases on a shelf. They get played once when I rip them to MP3 or FLAC and that's generally it. What do you mean by authenticity?

I agree with eroo, I well prefer CDs, the disc, booklet and the Artwork ..you get an actual product in your hand and not just a "01010001" file on your PC/Mac. I think one's get abit sentimental with few albums in their collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Still won't be worth it.

you get an actual product in your hand and not just a "01010001" file on your PC/Mac.
    And that is where the whole concept of software/music piracy is lost on many people. Because there's nothing tangible "in your hand" it suddenly becomes acceptable :).

I used to prefer CDs, and I still enjoy the anticipation of playing a CD for the first time but in general for ease of use I stick them on the computer/MP3 player as soon as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

And that is where the whole concept of software/music piracy is lost on many people. Because there's nothing tangible "in your hand" it suddenly becomes acceptable :).

I used to prefer CDs, and I still enjoy the anticipation of playing a CD for the first time but in general for ease of use I stick them on the computer/MP3 player as soon as I can.

Same here. I always buy cd's, then put the tracks I like most onto my MP3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Suff put it better than I could!:)
    I agree with eroo, I well prefer CDs, the disc, booklet and the Artwork ..you get an actual product in your hand and not just a "01010001" file on your PC/Mac. I think one's get abit sentimental with few albums in their collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Even if they do give it away for free there's a good chance that they'll still be ripping you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Lets not forget that NIN released a $300 special edition limited to 2500 (One of which I own) which racked Trent in $750,000, so I like to think that his real earnings were 850,000

Even if they do give it away for free there's a good chance that they'll still be ripping you off.
    Very true. Remember, however long it takes to listen to the album is time you won't get back again :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

it's amazing how one soundbyte gets taken and turned into a whole story. that article from slashdot just took a quote from lars in a recent rolling stone interview were he said it was interesting to watch what radiohead/N.I.N are doing and how the record industry and how albums are released are changing. it's now been turned into metallica give away album for free!!!! i can't see metallica ever doing that tbh. the next album is their last with warner so it'll probably get a "traditional" release on cd and downloads through i-tunes. as for their next one,who knows? they have their own "livemetallica" website for gig downloads which i'm sure they could utilise for future releases should they decide not to sign with a label. by the time they do that the whole radiohead expiriment will be old hat and someone will have come with another new innovative way of getting music out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

how exactly?!!?

lord lucan wrote: »
    it's amazing how one soundbyte gets taken and turned into a whole story.
    Well I for one think it's an interesting story given Metallica's history with Napster.
    lord lucan wrote:
    it's now been turned into metallica give away album for free!!!!
    I don't think anyone said anything about giving away an album for free. The threa title is "Metallica may give next album free".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

True, all their albums are still on sale for the 'bargain' price of 21.99 in most good music shops. :rolleyes:

Rockee wrote: »
    True, all their albums are still on sale for the 'bargain' price of 21.99 in most good music shops. :rolleyes:
    Which is why you should do all of your CD purchasing online. CDON and EMP-Online have Metallica's back catalogue available for around €17 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    how exactly?!!?

Click

Well I for one think it's an interesting story given Metallica's history with Napster.

i think they got and still get unfairly bashed over napster. as i understand it they had a number of other bands/artists who were right behind them but as soon as they went public the rest just legged it and left lars in particular to take all the flack. rightly or wrongly they stuck to their guns and went for it but it's been used for years to bash them and brand them as corporate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I think their stance on Napster was correct but the problem I had with the whole thing is Lars just came out of nowhere and came across as a total dickhead.

Froot wrote: »
    I think their stance on Napster was correct but the problem I had with the whole thing is Lars just came out of nowhere and came across as a total dickhead.

lars always comes across like that tbh:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

they can keep it!

Advertisement