Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM upgrade on Toshiba Satellite S1900-203 notebook

Options
  • 27-04-2008 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I want to upgrade the RAM on an old (circa 2002) Toshiba Satellite S1900-203 notebook. As you can see from the CPUZ screen-shot below, the laptop currently has 256mb RAM. My understanding is that the slot with the existing RAM is only upgradable by someone with advanced knowledge (i.e. not me) and upgrading the second (empty) slot is a simple "slot" into place type job.

Toshiba Europe list the maximum RAM as: "maximum expandability : 1,024 MB". Presumably this includes the original 256mb, so I was looking at getting 512mb extra.

An example of one such RAM upgrade is at Orca which even specifically lists it as being compatible with a Toshiba Satellite (S)1900-203 notebook. However, and here's my question, the Orca upgrade (and many others I've looked at) list them as running at 266MHz whereas the existing 256mb runs at 133MHz according to CPUZ (again see the screen-shot).

Does this not make the two RAM modules incompatible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Edit 100mhz not 133mhz
    It will drop down to 100mhz don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's DDR ram. 266/2 = 133.

Oops missed that. Should have left my original answer alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

It's DDR ram. 266/2 = 133.

Got a definition of DDR off google as:
    "Double Data Rate is a type of SDRAM in which data is sent on both the rising and falling edges of clock cycles in a data burst."

So what you're saying is that CPUZ gave the literal/actual cycle rate of 133MHz but since it's DDR RAM, the effective rate is 266MHz?

100mhz

Your shopping for ram and you see the rams called DDR200 then just divide that by 2 and you have 100mhz
    p4's are quad pumped so multipl that by 4 and you have 400mhz
    that 400mhz is the front side bus .

cpu 1.7ghz
    fsb 400mhz

Front side bus is 100mhz quad pumped

400/4 = 100mhz (quad pumped bus)
    your ram is 100mhz

100mhz*17 = 1.7ghz the 17 is what we call a multiplier

• Advertisement
Advertisement