Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 and 360 versions contrasted

• 27-04-2008 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭

If you're like me, then you're unsure which version to buy, I'm slightly leaning towards the ps3 version at the moment, kotaku contrasts both of them here: http://kotaku.com/384422/which-version-of-gta-iv-should-you-buy-we-compare-the-ps3-and-360-versions

It was inevitable. With the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 competing for the "next-gen" first place spot, both armed with Grand Theft Auto IV shipping day and date, nitpicking comparisons between each version was expected from vocal fans. Rockstar Games has commented multiple times that both versions are identical, minus a few platform specific features and Xbox 360 exclusives.

We've played both versions of GTA IV—quite a bit, actually. We've noticed a handful of differences, some of which you know, some which you may not, many of them hair-splitting. We break it down, from frame rate to controls, after the break.

Installation

The PlayStation 3 version has a mandatory 3.4 GB hard drive installation that will be the longest 7 minutes and 20 seconds of your life if your chomping at the bit to play. It's initially an annoyance, but PS3 owners will welcome it. There is no option to install the game to an Xbox 360 hard drive.

Frame Rate

The Grand Theft Auto series has never been synonymous with a rock solid frame rate, something it generally seems to get a pass for. While GTA IV is smoother in general than it's predecessors, it can expectedly suffer during chaos. The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.

Pop-In & Loading

With a huge, seamless streaming world, data must be constantly read from the disc. The PS3 version, with its required HDD install, loads missions a couple seconds faster and decreases pop-in. The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading, as things like trees, vehicles and building signs will regularly pop-in as one tools about town. It can be distracting, especially during high speed chases, and the PS3 version isn't entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem.

Graphics

The two versions are so close to identical, visually, that putting together a comparison was a challenge. Initially, it appeared that the PS3 suffered from more noticeable aliasing than its 360 counterpart, but after eyeballing the final retail copy, they appear to be on par. I noticed that the paint filter applied to cover some of the game's imperfections appeared a tiny bit muddier on the PS3 version, with night time scenes seeing more streakiness. Some of these minor complaints may be the result of our particular television settings and require the finest of fine tooth combs to assess.

Downloadable Content

The Xbox 360 version is announced to have two exclusive downloadable content packs for purchase. Details on what will be contained in those two exclusive batches of DLC are sparse, so we can't judge what they'll bring to the table, nor do we know if the PlayStation 3 version will eventually get its own DLC from Rockstar. If you're looking for more GTA IV, and you may very well be after you've completed the core game, you're going to want the 360 version.

Achievements

The Xbox 360 version has the requisite list of Achievements exclusive to the platform, creative and challenging goals that sometimes go beyond the regular gaming experience. However, as with other GTA games, stat-tracking for kills, stunt jumps, and the dozens of extras will keep completionists on the PS3 side happy.

Motion Controls

The PS3 version has optional SIXAXIS motion controls for piloting helicopters, steering boats and doing motorcycle tricks. You'll probably leave it off, just like I did.

Good Vibrations

GTA IV supports vibration in the Xbox 360 controller and the DualShock 3, so PS3 owners won't be left in the force feedback lurch.

Final Thoughts

The good news for Grand Theft Auto fans is that whatever platform you have chosen as your own, GTA IV excels on both. They are almost evenly matched, feature for feature. Gamers will have to decide which is more important to them, a slightly more technically sound experience on the PlayStation 3 or downloadable content and Xbox Live integration on the Xbox 360.

If this were a personal decision, I'd have chosen the PlayStation 3 edition, mostly based on my preference for the DualShock controller and the performance edge. However, one thing that we have yet to experience is how well the PlayStation Network will handle the online portions of GTA IV, an extremely important consideration. I place less of an emphasis on features like Achievements and Gamerscore, but appreciate how well crafted these features are.

In the end, each version stands on its own, with the only downside to the differences being that those invested in their particularly backed console will expend so much effort focusing on something far less important than the game itself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I likes what I'm reading for the 360 version :D

I always hated the PS2 controller due to analog stick location so 360 here I come.

The absence of a PS3 in my room helped in my decision making process.

edit

Order status changed to packing :D
    Gamesnash.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

brim4brim wrote: »

Gamesnash.ie
    I love gamesnash

Roll on tuesday:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

PS3, advantages galor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Not contrasted, compared. And it should be unsure, not insure. Otherwise a decent comparison provided by someone else. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Nailz wrote: »
    PS3, advantages galor!

Did we just read the same article?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

edit

Gamesnash.ie

Yeah, that's probably the best email I ever got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

F-Stop wrote: »
    Not contrasted, compared.
    Oh hello troll!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contrasted
    "Contrast: To set in opposition in order to show or emphasize differences". Now explain to me how that's incorrect in this case. I'd love to hear it because if I'm wrong then that English degree I have is clearly going to waste. Comparing them would be just explaining how each version is similar, now how would that help people decide which version to buy eh? :rolleyes:
    And it should be unsure, not insure.

Clearly a typo. Look at your keyboard and note where the U and I keys are.
    Otherwise a decent comparison provided by someone else. Well done.
    And where did I say that I did the comparison? I clearly stated it was kotaku, even gave a link, just trying to help other people in the same situation as me, that's all. We can do without people like you here.

If you're going to act like a dick, at least make it justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Nailz wrote: »
    PS3, advantages galor!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I dont get it, i've been hearing from everybody that the ps3 version is slightly better, even the summary of this article says this but looking at each section of this compartison and who comes out on top:

Installation:
    Xbox

Frame Rate:
    Maybe im misreading it but it sounds like the xbox wins here too

Pop-In & Loading:
    PS3

Graphics:
    On par, but if the reviewer had to pick a winner it sounds like he'd pick the xbox

Downloadable Content:
    xbox obviously

Achievements:
    Xbox

Motion Controls:
    Says there of no advantage so Ps3 doesnt get points for this

Good Vibrations:
    xbox as im sure the majority of us ps3 owners dont own a dualshock 3

So even with xbox winning the majority of the sections the reviewer said that the ps3 version was a "slightly more technically sound experience" Seems kind of contradicting

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

I dont get it, i've been hearing from everybody that the ps3 version is slightly better, even the summary of this article says this but looking at each section of this compartison and who comes out on top:

Installation:
    Xbox

Frame Rate:
    Maybe im misreading it but it sounds like the xbox wins here too

Pop-In & Loading:
    PS3

Graphics:
    On par, but if the reviewer had to pick a winner it sounds like he'd pick the xbox

Downloadable Content:
    xbox obviously

Achievements:
    Xbox

Motion Controls:
    Says there of no advantage so Ps3 doesnt get points for this

Good Vibrations:
    xbox as im sure the majority of us ps3 owners dont own a dualshock 3

So even with xbox winning the majority of the sections the reviewer said that the ps3 version was a "slightly more technically sound experience" Seems kind of contradicting

Which review did you read? Did you read all the reviews that have been published or just one? Doesn't look like it. I've read most of the reviews and here's some corrections to your comparison...

Installation: There's no installation or option to install for the Xbox 360 version. The PS3 has a mandatory 7min install.

Frame Rate:
    Both versions suffer from minor frame rate issues when things get hectic though it may be a little more noticeable on the PS3 version, but reports are conflicting on this and most say it doesn't affect gameplay in either version.

Pop-In & Loading:
    There is virtually no noticeable pop-in or loading on the PS3 version (due to the install to HDD). The xbox360 has noticeable pop-in especially when driving at speed.

Graphics:
    On par and very difficult to pick any difference between the two versions.

Downloadable Content:
    Xbox 360 has exclusive downloadable episodic content due in autumn which you will have to pay for. It is expected that the PS3 will also get downloadable content at some point too, but when and what it will be are unknown at the moment. Also, it's not known if PS3 users will have to pay for any additional content.

Achievements:
    Xbox has achievements as expected. PS3 has the usual stats that appeared in all previous GTA games as does the Xbox 360. When Home launches for PS3 later this year there will be a system similar to XBL Achievements in place.

Motion Controls:
    Most reviews I've read didn't bother to test the PS3 motion control as they've been disappointing with most other games that have tried to utilize this functionality. It's completely down to player preference though.

Vibrations:
    Both versions support rumble. The dualshock 3 can be purchased online easily, but will be available in Europe in the next 2-3 months.

Multiplayer:
    This is going to be as big as the single player game. Xbox 360 has XBL and as most people know is a very good service except for the multiplayer tax Microsoft charge people to use it. PS3 has the PSN which costs nothing to use and may or may not be as reliable as XBL. If CoD4 is anything to go by then multiplayer on the PS3 should be just as good as on XBL without the added cost.

It seems both versions have only minor differences and it's very hard to choose between them. I wouldn't say one version is superior to the other. It's down to individual preference really. I myself will be getting both versions because I thoroughly deserve them.

regards,

mcgooch

• Advertisement

mcgooch wrote: »

Multiplayer:
    This is going to be as big as the single player game. Xbox 360 has XBL and as most people know is a very good service except for the multiplayer tax Microsoft charge people to use it. PS3 has the PSN which costs nothing to use and may or may not be as reliable as XBL. If CoD4 is anything to go by then multiplayer on the PS3 should be just as good as on XBL without the added cost.

It seems both versions have only minor differences and it's very hard to choose between them. I wouldn't say one version is superior to the other. It's down to individual preference really. I myself will be getting both versions because I thoroughly deserve them.
    Don't know the promise of future downloadable content for 360 swings it for me. I don't understand how it wouldn't for everyone else :D If the game is this good, future missions could be and most likely will be great :D I survived Mass Effects pop up textures, I think I can live with GTA's.

Update from gamesnash:
    New status: Dispatched

Hurray for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I have both a 360 and a PS3, and I'm not really fussed about the technical bits of it. I just want to shoot people and cause mayhem (digitaly of course):D

I think that the controller is more comfortable in your hand on the 360, and thats one of the main reasons that I'm getting it. Plus there is vibrations in the controller.

Am i right in saying that the sixaxis controller will not have vibrations? Lets face it the sixaxis is pointless. Good for a novelty but irritating after a while. I think I read in the manual that there is no facility for vibrations in the sixaxis as it would interfere with the Gyroscopes. Am I right?

Xbox or PS3 anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

argh why do people write in black font specifically. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Cremo wrote: »
    argh why do people write in black font specifically. :mad:

Cos when you're dossing at work like I am, you can't afford the time to play about with fonts;)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that the sixaxis controller will not have vibrations? Lets face it the sixaxis is pointless. Good for a novelty but irritating after a while. I think I read in the manual that there is no facility for vibrations in the sixaxis as it would interfere with the Gyroscopes. Am I right?

Xbox or PS3 anyone?

Dualshock 3 is due out in the next month or two and will combine rumble with sixaxis functionality.

Personally, I prefer the xbox controller too.

PS3 and Xbox 360 versions for me.

regards,

mcgooch

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Xbox or PS3 anyone?

I have both too, and will be buying it for Xbox 360. To be honest, i never really considered buying it for my PS3. Sure it might have a slight edge on graphics but the controller is a big factor for me. The 360 one agrees with me more. Also the Downloadable content and Xbox Live is a huge draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

That seems ok, I was getting a little worried that the 360 was gonna have bad fps and draw distance/late loading but nothing extreme between the 2. 360 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

Ive got both consoles and Im getting the ps3 version.
    I wont pay to get xbox online anymore cuz its will be **** in comparison to ps3's home.
    With ps3 steadily outselling xbox its only a matter of time before all of the xbox fanboys admit that they made a big mistake....
    (gears of war 2 will kick ass however)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Useful post, thanks ShaneU

Ive got both consoles and Im getting the ps3 version.
    I wont pay to get xbox online anymore cuz its will be **** in comparison to ps3's home.
    With ps3 steadily outselling xbox its only a matter of time before all of the xbox fanboys admit that they made a big mistake....
    (gears of war 2 will kick ass however)

I think only RROD 360 users regret their purchase and those that don't like shooters :p

Its a great console. Don't know what you have against it or is just the fanboys?

I might get a PS3 when they come down a bit, not paying that price when I have a perfectly good 360 and Wii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭penguinpoppers

I think only RROD 360 users regret their purchase and those that don't like shooters :p

Its a great console. Don't know what you have against it or is just the fanboys?

I might get a PS3 when they come down a bit, not paying that price when I have a perfectly good 360 and Wii.

I agree that it is a good console 100% Saying that it isnt would be stupid.

What im trying to say is that in my opinion its a bit of a letdown when compared to ps3. Granted up until 2008 it has been far better, but this year ps3 will put it to shame.

And I really didnt mean to start a PS3 VS XBOX arguement between everyone so sorry to the guy who made this thread. Unless he was trying to start one himself:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What im trying to say is that in my opinion its a bit of a letdown when compared to ps3. Granted up until 2008 it has been far better, but this year ps3 will put it to shame.

How on earth is the 360 a letdown compared to the PS3?

Either way I'm getting this for the 360. Any game for either console and its the 360 every time. Simply prefer the controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have both PS3 and 360, and I've pre-ordered the 360 version.
    Better controller, achievements and DLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sledgehammer

ive pre ordeded it for 360 cause i love getting achievements.plus xbl is better than network play. ive told my girlfriend not to expect too much out of me for the next few weeks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

And confirmed:NO optional install on the 360 ShaneU.

You didn't have any more to say on that subject I notice:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273288&page=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Bros123 wrote: »
    And confirmed:NO optional install on the 360 ShaneU.

You didn't have any more to say on that subject I notice:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273288&page=4

Everyone looks smarter in retrospect :rolleyes: It wasn't confirmed at the time was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

ShaneU wrote: »
    Everyone looks smarter in retrospect :rolleyes: It wasn't confirmed at the time was it.

Well do a bit of homework next time;)

And it was confirmed by Microsoft at the time.

*Sigh*

Advertisement