Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quays

• 27-04-2008 7:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody else noticed the poor parking skills along the Quay? I mean, iv seen people park on the inside lane while the passenger runs into the shop. The driver just sits there while all the cars try and turn to the outside lane affecting traffic on both sides. Parking on bus stops, hotel drop of and loading bays are in of the two lanes but people park outside of these or jetting out at the very end or start.

Yet no Guard or Warden is about handing out tickets to those parking illegaly or obstructing traffic. I mean, what's more important: Parking illegaly on a main road, obstructing the flow of traffic OR parking in a car park out of harms way without a parking disc?!

I saw a car parked with hazard lights in the middle of the inside lane, nobody in the car. Just sitting there. Further up outside Shaws, the usual story with the driver parked outside Shaws on the inside lane looking away from traffic to avoid dirty looks or beeping horns while the passenger is inside getting something in the Chemist or Shaws. It obstructs the flow of traffic and really makes the idea of two lanes on the road pointless.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to agree, the parking situation is shocking but nobody gives a flying feck about it, trying to stay in the left lane all the way down to the bridge can hardly ever be done.

If it was sorted the quays would be a pleassure drive imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Try ride a bike down the quay. Taking your life into your hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've noticed a steady deterioration in the driving and general attitude of motorists in Waterford over the last year. Yesterday I was beeped like crazy for standing at a crossing waiting for the green man with my young brother at the end of Patrick St. (I hope you get locked up you tool in a knackered '93 Mitsubishi).

Cycling is now a case of taking your life in your hands! Agressive and sleepy drivers are all over the place and the amount of times in the past week where I've thought.. how has this person got a licence to drive that car???

AND.. As well capable we Irish are of acting the hoor on the roads, I have noticed that many of the cars I see doing ridiculous things are driven by our Eastern European friends (Reg plates) or other people in pre 2000 cars, some of which (2 yesterday) appeared to be from further afield than Europe (Thats you in the Mitsubishi again.. idiot)

The average standard of driving in our city its inhabitants, be they from Eastern Europe, Asia, or Waterford, is shocking!

The ones that annoy me most are those who could make absolute bits of your €10k car, and still be able to replace theirs with €100 and have change.

Yes.... You have touched a nerve!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Roen wrote: »
    Try ride a bike down the quay. Taking your life into your hands!

I do on a almost daily basis, I sit myself in the middle of the left lane.....its the only way to stop muppets from running you over when changing lanes or by people pulling out of parking spots.,

I've had some close calls by retards changing lanes while failing to look and indicate :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

imagine you had real problems, that should put things in perspective

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

longshanks wrote: »
    imagine you had real problems, that should put things in perspective

Sorry, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

This is a real problem to these people at this particular time of their life. It might not be your problem I don't know what form of transport you use to travel by. But as a driver who has recently done a defensive driving course, my eyes have been opened even more to the stupidity of some of the drivers in this country.

Anyone who cycles or uses a motorbike in Waterford should be given a medal I'd suggest cycle lanes but I think they'd just be used as parking bays.

Has anyone written a letter of complaint to the City Council or their local TD perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

I used to live on the quay for awhile some time back. And can i say that at one stage i put pen to paper and wrote about the parking problems on the quay, my response was still waiting 3 years later for a reply.

people should'nt have to resort to writting letters as surely the town planners have driven along the quay at some stage

May I suggest taking photo's of these car's and putting it with the letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I dread coming up behind a cyclist on the Quays. Not out of a dislike for cyclists, but for their safety. It inevitably leads to 2 cars and a bike trying to get by in 1.5 lanes. I'd hate to be on a bike along there.

We need 007-style cutting hubs on our wheels to take care of some of the cars there;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

imagine what its going to be like if that gaming arcade which is planned for merchants quay gets the go ahead in the next few weeks.

Even more cars stopping for drop offs and pick ups inside on the left hand lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

gaming arcade?just what we need.another place for scumbags to hang about and intimidate passers by.whereabouts exactly?

The old T&C garage, which was converted into a restraunt, only a couple of years back.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The old T&C garage, which was converted into a restraunt, only a couple of years back.

your kidding me right?
    There goes the neighborhood!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

...I'm for the gaming arcade....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

why not have a traffic warden down there dishing out tickets galore to assholes who make driving a pain in the ass for the rest of us, they have no problem dishing out tickets all over the rest of the city.

longshanks, I take it your about 9 yeah?
    with your posting habbits I can't see you lasting very long on boards

Ah to prove the point about it being a health hazard. There was an accident down by treacy's yesterday evening at about 6pm it involved an articulated truck with trailer and a car, the Guards were on the scene nobody looked injured but the drivers door was smashed in. TBH it looked like the driver was pulling out and wasn't watching the oncoming traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Don't any of you know the Irish rules of the road.

If you put on your hazard lights, that entitles you to park anywhere and in any manner that you like.

Jor wrote: »
    Don't any of you know the Irish rules of the road.

If you put on your hazard lights, that entitles you to park anywhere and in any manner that you like.

seems people think this as I've heard some people refer to them as "park anywhere lights" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

godd funny from Munster Express this week, kinda relates to this topic
    ====================================================
    One day last week, a garda on foot patrol along the Quay noticed a car double parked outside the Head Post Office. The car was unlocked, the key was in the ignition and the engine was ticking over so the garda knew it could only have been there a minute or two. He decided not to issue a fine but remained at the car with the intention of warning the driver that, apart from parking illegally, the car was a sitting duck for a thief.

He was waiting less than a minute when a well-dressed, elderly couple came out of the post office and immediately made a beeline for the car. Before the garda could get a word out of his mouth, he was verbally attacked by the pair. “Why don’t you feck off out of here and catch real criminals instead of bothering decent, law abiding people”, shouted the man. “That’s right, why don’t you go after the drug dealers you big, lazy clodhopper”, added the woman in a loud angry voice.

“Right you are, if that’s your attitude, I am summonsing you for parking in a dangerous manner”, said the garda, as he furiously scribbled out a ticket that he tucked under the car’s windscreen wiper. “And you’re lucky, if you weren’t senior citizens, I’d have you up in court for abusing a police officer”, he said, as he stormed off.

The departing garda had barely turned the corner when a young woman with a small child ran out of the post office and, arriving at the car, took the summons out from under the windscreen wiper. “Damn”, she hissed, “we were only gone a couple of minutes.”

Ten minutes later, a man who had witnessed the Post Office episode, spotted the same elderly couple loudly giving out stink to a traffic warden who was considering writing a parking ticket on a car outside the Bank of Ireland further down the Quay. Needless to say, the ticket was written out in double quick time before the traffic warden also stormed off with a hail of abuse from the couple following in his wake. “This is not a police state yet, you think you’re great with your brass buttons and peaked cap”, roared the woman.

The bystander, who had observed the couple ensuring that two motorists got hefty fines, challenged the couple who were grinning and nudging each other at the departing traffic warden’s discomfort. “What do you think you are doing, your interference has made things worse for those motorists”, he said angrily.

“Shag off and mind your own business”, said the couple, both with big smirks on their faces, “we come into town on the bus from Passage every Tuesday and there’s great sport to be had winding up any fecker we meet wearing a uniform.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

People like that do exist on this world unfortunately. They should all be put down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Very amusing but at least they got a ticket :p

Sully wrote:
    Very amusing but at least they got a ticket

Think you should read the last paragraph again. The old couple DIDN'T get the tickets.

trishw78 wrote: »
    Think you should read the last paragraph again. The old couple DIDN'T get the tickets.

The offenders - DID. ;)

imagine what its going to be like if that gaming arcade which is planned for merchants quay gets the go ahead in the next few weeks.

Even more cars stopping for drop offs and pick ups inside on the left hand lane.

Atleast we wont have to worry about any gaming arcade for a while. Planning has been refused
    Decision: Pursuant to the Local Government (Planning and Development) Acts, it is decided to refuse permission for the reasons set out in the Schedule hereto.

SCHEDULE

The development as proposed, by reason of its nature and location on defined secondary shopping street, with the resulting loss of a ground floor retail use is considered to conflict with the policies and provisions of the current City Development Plan and therefore is considered to be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

The development as proposed, by reason of its nature and regard being had to the existence of a similar use in close proximity to the premises is considered to constitute an excessive concentration of such uses in the area and therefore is considered to conflict with the policies and provisions of the current City Development which relate to the City Centre and therefore is considered to be

Atleast we wont have to worry about any gaming arcade for a while. Planning has been refused

woohoo!

Advertisement