Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying up North

Options
  • 27-04-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Folks ,
    I'm going up north during the week to buy a motor for my wife and was wondering what do I need to bring back down with me ? I'm buying from a main dealer in Newry. I would read through the thread dedicated to this subject but it's 54 pages long !!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The car, a receipt as proof of purchase, and the V5 document in full (well, minus the permanent export bit).
    Ensure you have the spare keys that the dealer has, these are relatively expensive to replace. Oh check that the service book is in the glove box too. Might be handy to have a complete service history, end-to-end when selling it on.
    Finally just make sure you have the spare wheel, you never know what happens to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

as rebel.ranter said, make sure ya have the spare wheel, inc the jack etc. Also if buying from a dealer, they wont accept all cash due to money laundring laws or somethin.

Also when buying the car, try and get them to throw in car mats too. Which dealer are ya dealing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Cheers Lads.

It's J.C. Campbell Honda main dealers in Newry. I felt I couldn't leave the deal I was getting inclusive of the VRT.

Cheers Lads.

It's J.C. Campbell Honda main dealers in Newry. I felt I couldn't leave the deal I was getting inclusive of the VRT.

I got my car there too. Its not actually in newry by the way. its in rostrevor the other side of warrenpoint.

If your gettin an accord, id advise trying to get mats included in the deal, cos mats are a diff shape to normal ones an can cost £60 to buy seperatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Also if buying from a dealer, they wont accept all cash due to money laundring laws or somethin.

Whats the story here I was thinking of heading that directon soon and offering euro cash, I know most of the privite sales close to the border should give you a straight cash price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

bennyc wrote: »
    Whats the story here I was thinking of heading that directon soon and offering euro cash, I know most of the privite sales close to the border should give you a straight cash price.

might be straight cash but they wont want to have to take any chance on exchange rates. They will want Sterling. That said the exchange rate is very good at the moment :)

If your gettin an accord

Nope i'm getting a HRV for the wife. With the exchange rate the way it is I can't lose.

I'll be paying in euros by cheque, i confirmed this with the salesman and he quoted me the euro price they'll accept for the car.

Any ideas how far this place would be from Mullingar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It would appear to be 80 miles. Have a look here:

Multimap.com: directions from Mullingar to Rosstrevor

It would appear to be 80 miles. Have a look here:

Multimap.com: directions from Mullingar to Rosstrevor

yea thats pretty much it.

My Directions cos im better that any map (i think)

When ya head into newry, keep straight til ya get to the roundabout at the brass monkey pub, you will take the second exit to your right pass the pub.

Stay in the left lane up a hill, go through two sets of traffic light junctions, and take the left turn for warrenpoint just before you cross the bridge.

Keep on that road, brings you onto a dual carriageway for a few miles.

When ya come into warrenpoint, go through two small roundabouts then your take a right turn, which brings you towards the sea, and then a left and its a straight run along the coast to rosstrevor pretty much, and youll find JC Campbells no bother.

Well I collected the car today. Myself and my wife drove up this morning and we were home again to watch the footie !!

I arrived back down with a receipt and a V5C(NI). Now all that's troubling me is that the dealer has none of this filled out at all, is this the norm ?

It's registered owner is Mr Joe Bloggs (Not the actaul dealer, understandable as they don't want to be adding to the number of previous owners) but do I just present this at the VRT office as it is ?

Also , is there anything to be gained by holding off registering the car here only hassle from any Guards that we might meet on the road ? Is the VRT likley to reduce on a monthly basis ?

I'm glad I've brought this in before the new rates apply, the car has emissions of 205G/KM

Band F: cars that produce 191g-225g/km CO2
    32 per cent VRT - €1,000 road tax;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Nope i'm getting a HRV for the wife.

Didn't know honda dealers do swaps.... must see what they'll give me for mine :D

Advertisement