Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house. Navan vs Laytown

Options
  • 27-04-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi Guys!

Please, help me to make up my mind. We are thinking of finally go crazy and take out a mortgage (for better or worth) and having a choice of Navan or Laytown at the moment.

Laytown.
    I like the idea of leaving by the sea. Nice little village. Visited Laytown to see the house last Saturday and liked it a lot (both the house and the village). Went into the primary school there and they had some sort of local community expo. People are great, very nice and friendly. We asked if there is space and were told that the kid will get a place without a problem. Although, outside across the road there were people protesting against Mr. Lyons and the local council on doing nothing to sort out new primary school building.
    Overall the impression from the place and the house was very positive.

Navan.
    Nothing to say here yet. Hope to see a house there in Athlumney Wood area this week. On the picture the house is a bit bigger than Laytown's one and the back garden is bigger.

If one of you would compare the two places, what would be your verdict?

Thanks in advance for all your feedbacks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

its just my opinion but Navan is simply not a nice place, the town has no character or atmosphere and has become very rough with a large bad element in it over the past few years.

Stay well clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

From a hospital services point of view, definitely not Navan. It's losing it's services one by one. And they don't do Paediatrics. Laytown is near Drogheda Hospital, which has most services, and at least they'll see your child if anything happens them!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

deffo laytown .Navan ......not very nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭russki

Thanks a million, guys and girls for the replies!
    Now it's way easier to convince my missis not to go near that place ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

One word, beach, beach, beach! Okay, that's one word three times, but you get the picture.

I live in Grange Rath which is inside the Meath border by a whisker, and I love having Bettystown and Laytown just down the road, 'tis great for a paddle in the Summer. In relation to schooling, hopefully the Lyons thing will be sorted soon enough as Hanifin and co. are aware of the issue and it is getting a bit of press expo. I myself will be sending my daughter to the Educate Together School in 2012 which is located on the Marsh Road towards Mornington.

What type of houses are you looking for as I've kept a paranoid view of the market in the area since i've moved in, so I may be able to help in terms of value etc?

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    What type of houses are you looking for as I've kept a paranoid view of the market in the area since i've moved in, so I may be able to help in terms of value etc?

It's a semi-detached 3 bed that I'm looking at. Would you post me a private mail with what sort of price range would be reasonable enough for Inse Bay, please?
    Thanks a mill. in advance!

delly wrote: »
    so I may be able to help in terms of value etc?

Hi Delly!

How about the area in general? So far I was getting only positive feedback about Laytown, but today (much to my surprise) a friend of mine from Bettystown told me that the area around Medical Centre is quite rough at night time. I know that definition of rough is different for different folk. What's your view?

Maybe somebody else have comments too?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

PM sent.

In relation to the medical centre, I can't say much about it at night-time, but I use it as our family doctors and its a great facility. Without being to offensive to the people who live there, the houses that are in that area are very old and don't look the best. I would take a guess that they may have been council houses at one stage, but I could be wrong. TBH, I wouldn't let horror stories about it to put me off as there is not many areas that don't have some form of anti social behaviour in the general vicinity, and in this case its the neighbouring estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Can't vouch for the old estates at night, but look fine, a lot of older people there. Inse Bay wouldn't be affected by anything going on there. Never seen anything. There was one incident by a centra at Laytown but that was 2 ladies fighting and resulting badly in a stabbing. Walking at night from inse bay to the pub (Gilners) and back is very safe. PS, Gilners is the better pub if you're new to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Take your commute into work (if applicable) into account - Laytown has a train station with services to Dublin (which resemble sardine tins, they're so packed!), and there's a bus service which stops close to Inse Bay (if I recall).

You might like to take a look at Drogheda, houses haven't been selling as fast or for as much as they were 12-18 months ago, and you're still not far away from the sea!
    (I'm not selling my home, nor am I an estate agent, so this is not an advert of any kind!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 goodfecker

Id like to talk about the elephant in the room? one of the replies you got was about trouble in the area of Laytown!

Ive been living in Mornington for 18 yrs, the east Meath area has changed incredibly (for better or worse) the fact is weather you like it or not is that East Meath is now a suburb of Dublin and this the (Elephant in the room) is making Laytown, Bettystown and Mornington very unsafe in the night time, burnt out cars, was something i was not use to seeing, unfortunately its now very common and fights are breaking out all of the time, Meath Dublin Rivalry is alive and kicking!

Im not a local, I have witnessed the changes over the last 10yrs and for me the place has suffered badly. You probably are from Dublin yourself and im not trying to insult anyone! Its just the Elephant in the room!!!!
    suggesting that its the old looking estate close the square is simply choosing to ignore the facts

Advertisement