Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Information Thread

Options
  • 27-04-2008 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

I have put together this new site to help with the driving test in Ireland. please send feedback as it will help me give you what you want and will help with new information.

http://www.drivingtesttips.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nov2006

Thats brilliant. Thanks for that. Have my test tomorrow morning and although I have done 4 pre-tests its handy to go through everything again! Reverse around the corner is the real one that I need help on but hopefully it goes ok tomorrow.

Thanks for doing this, its been most helpful!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Nov2006 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant. Thanks for that. Have my test tomorrow morning and although I have done 4 pre-tests its handy to go through everything again! Reverse around the corner is the real one that I need help on but hopefully it goes ok tomorrow.

Thanks for doing this, its been most helpful!:)

Ditto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What a great resource for leaner drivers. Really great stuff, the tutorials are excellent, very clear and concise. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Excellent.
    As clear and concise as anything I have seen.
    A lot easier than buying and installing CD tutorials and less daunting than most of the books.
    Videos are clear and exactly as should be showing the drivers POV.
    Site layout is clean and effective.

Most useful site of the year for many, perhaps. Should take some hits at lunchtimes over the next month in offices around the country.

Dont know how you have been funded, (not an advert in sight) but it is certainly deserving of some official accolades.
    Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Thank you it is good to know the work was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Thanks for this - really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

excellent stuff, i'll have the missus looking at that later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Bonnet check: check that all oil, coolant and water etc. is topped up.
    Far too general. You might lead to someone adding more oil unnecessarily here.

Use of 'etc' not very helpful to a learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Very nice site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

great site

without being pedantic here spellin error here
    http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/Irish-Driving-Test-Check-List.html

" Lights: check brake lights and indicators are working correctly and are the corredt colour. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

This is a brilliant site!! very good resource for learner drivers that are preparing for tests.

But some suggestion:
    1) Dip stick-- 2 of my instructors told me that when answering this question it should be= First park the car on a level ground,wait until the engine is cool down. Then take dip stick out,wipe it and put it back in again.Take out and make sure its between min and max.

2) Maybe you could make a video in a first person view? As regarding to mirrors. It'll be more benefit if one knows exactly what mirror to look into when before signalling for a turn and how their head should move(blindspot)

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Far too general. You might lead to someone adding more oil unnecessarily here.

Use of 'etc' not very helpful to a learner.

Thank you, have made some changes which give more information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Thank you

I do say that is very good, looks well and I will be happy to change it.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Very useful and informative site :) . I think I'll have to bookmark this for when I start learning to drive (theory test this weekend)! What's the catch? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have put together this new site to help with the driving test in Ireland. please send feedback as it will help me give you what you want and will help with new information.

http://www.drivingtesttips.ie

very useful site ... I've my test coming up and am finding the videos a real help ... it's one thing reading about the scenarios in the books etc and practicing them myself but seeing them being done correctly by someone in the know is very helpful ... cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

On the turnabout tutorial the driver changes gear before putting handbrake on. Shouldn't handbrake come first?

Very nice and clearly laid out site though. I see you want feedback. I suggest you add a forum for answering questions. Good luck with the site

On the turnabout tutorial the driver changes gear before putting handbrake on. Shouldn't handbrake come first?

Very nice and clearly laid out site though. I see you want feedback. I suggest you add a forum for answering questions. Good luck with the site

You see when you stop you do not always handbrake neutral it depends on the situation.
    In this situation I do not need H/N I need to select the required gear and use the handbrake so that the car will not role when I go to move.
    I hope this explains the use of the gear before the handbrake.

Also rule of thumb: Handbrake, Neutral. In this situation I need a gear not neutral.

You see when you stop you do not always handbrake neutral it depends on the situation.
    In this situation I do not need H/N I need to select the required gear and use the handbrake so that the car will not role when I go to move.
    I hope this explains the use of the gear before the handbrake.

Also rule of thumb: Handbrake, Neutral. In this situation I need a gear not neutral.
    My understanding was always to handbrake first as it secures the car. Sometimes I come to a stop at lights and with the footbrake on I put in first and then handbrake then I mutter F*** to myself as I think I have the sequence wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Excellent work DrivingInfo.

Congrats.. very impressive and concise!

• Advertisement

My understanding was always to handbrake first as it secures the car. Sometimes I come to a stop at lights and with the footbrake on I put in first and then handbrake then I mutter F*** to myself as I think I have the sequence wrong

No that is fine??????

I stop at lights… gear 1….. Now I’m not going, so handbrake…..if far away 3,4 cars back, Neutral.
    This type of driving is good driving because I look, assess and then react. Good driving lessons are about driving techniques which make sense.

Driving like this you will pass your driving test .

No that is fine??????

I stop at lights… gear 1….. Now I’m not going, so handbrake…..if far away 3,4 cars back, Neutral.
    This type of driving is good driving because I look, assess and then react. Good driving lessons are about driving techniques which make sense.

Driving like this you will pass your driving test .
    I disagree. I was taught the car should be secured with the handbrake first.What secures the car while you change to gear 1. Likewise with the turnabout,what secures the car while you change gear?

coolcon wrote: »
    theory test this weekend
    Good luck with it, take your time, relax and deal with one question at a time

I disagree. I was taught the car should be secured with the handbrake first.What secures the car while you change to gear 1. Likewise with the turnabout,what secures the car while you change gear?

I respect your opinion.

But you should only use your handbrake if you’re going to be stopped for a while or you are on a hill.

You do not Handbrake, Neutral every time you stop; this makes no sense when you drive in traffic (Stop - Start) or at roundabouts, it is subject to the situation.
    Pulling up your handbrake to secure your car then putting the car into gear 1 is used on beginner lessons. Once you have learned how to drive you should drive safely and to your ability. Going by experience if you are talking about pre-test lessons your may have taken lessons a long time ago or with an instructor who uses outdated teaching techniques, but to be fair to the instructor you may have taken in the information incorrectly.

If you look at the video again; is the car under good control?

coolcon wrote: »
    Very useful and informative site :) . I think I'll have to bookmark this for when I start learning to drive (theory test this weekend)! What's the catch? :D

Best of luck on the DTT

I respect your opinion.
    It's not just my opinion
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=939
    What is securing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But you should only use your handbrake if you’re going to be stopped for a while or you are on a hill.

You do not Handbrake, Neutral every time you stop; this makes no sense when you drive in traffic (Stop - Start) or at roundabouts, it is subject to the situation.
    Pulling up your handbrake to secure your car then putting the car into gear 1 is used on beginner lessons. Once you have learned how to drive you should drive safely and to your ability. Going by experience if you are talking about pre-test lessons your may have taken lessons a long time ago or with an instructor who uses outdated teaching techniques, but to be fair to the instructor you may have taken in the information incorrectly.

This is what my instructor told me too, he's been an instructor for the past 20 years and spent a good bit of that time as a tester aswell.

But I still keep hearing conflicting information about whether you need to use the handbrake whenever you stop. Also on your site in the turnabout video you (?) use the handbrake each time you change from 1st to reverse. Is it different for this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

I found 'yield' mispelt 'yeald' twice on the one page - made worse because it was beside a picture of a yield sign!!! :p

Seems a decent, well-made site aside from the proof-reading errors...

I found 'yield' mispelt 'yeald' twice on the one page - made worse because it was beside a picture of a yield sign!!! :p

Seems a decent, well-made site aside from the proof-reading errors...

Thank you will fix

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    This is what my instructor told me too, he's been an instructor for the past 20 years and spent a good bit of that time as a tester aswell.

But I still keep hearing conflicting information about whether you need to use the handbrake whenever you stop. Also on your site in the turnabout video you (?) use the handbrake each time you change from 1st to reverse. Is it different for this scenario?
    NO

The only reason I use the H/B here is so that I secure the car while looking around.

Advertisement