Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter locking strategy: Big lock - leave it after you.

Options
  • 27-04-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

There is a bike locking trick where if you regularly commute to the same place (DART/LUAS stop etc.) where there are bike stands, you bring a big lock the first day and when you go home, you leave it there, locked to the bike stand.

By big lock, I am thinking one of those heavy fabric covered hardened chains and a weather-proof padlock, possibly even motorbike locking stuff. You only have the burden of the weight the first day (and the last day you regularly use that place). I saw this on a locking strategy webpage that was recommended on this forum. You presumably would have a smaller U-lock or cable for home and/or when you are out & about. You could use the smaller lock to compliment the big one e.g. secure the front wheel.

What do people think of this?

If you locked the chain to the stand at a DART station in a way that does not obstruct anybody, will the council eventually come a long and cut it off? The chains I have in mind are not that cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Just make sure you aren't completely reliant on the lock. If some toe-rag decides to super-glue the lock when your bike isn't there then you might arrive the next day to discover that you don't have a viable way of securing your bike, exactly when it is being watched by said toe-rag.

Apart from that yeah it's probably a good idea.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've done this in a case where I was in town, had to go home and was retuning within 30mins.

For commuting maybe in a large scale bike parking, but never on streets or at Luas stops etc - it'll just give cyclists a bad name and leave excuses as why not to provide better/more bike parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I do this in work, though I'm not sure I'd be happy about leaving my locks in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I do it at the train station I use. The lock is safe enough as the bike rack is on the platform. It's a 1.8m or 2m heavy fabric cover chain lock like you mentioned. I get both my wheels and frame locked with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

It's ok as long as you don't lock a space up, which people do in the cycle racks where I work.

Selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your only worry may be the regularity of it. If some scumbag sees it there often with a big FO lock on it, they might assume that it's worth stealing, and then tamper with your lock when you're not around to weaken it.

Advertisement