Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband troubles =(

Options
  • 27-04-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Over the past month or so,my connection with NTL broadband has been completely gone during the day but comes back at around 7 or 8 o'clock at night.

I've gone through the whole (painful) process of ringing NTL tech support and they were a load of ****. They sent out a guy to fix the problem but he just left a card saying he called even though the doorbell never rang.

The tech support people reckon its the router that came with the broadband.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

Basically whats happening is : No broadband during the day
    Magically comes back at night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

they could be working in your area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol bypass the router and ring tech support again saying you ruled out the router as the source of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lunatik72

What area are you living in?

I have extreme troubles since 4-5 days in peaktimes with High Pings and Pkg losses. I cannot play my game at all, sometimes I have delays of 30-60 seconds.

I am assuming as they changing the lines they are working on them, but when I called them they told me there shouldn't be any problems at all (haha)

Now they wanna check the lines, really hope they gonna fix this soon.

I am living in the Clonee area, anyone else having these problems?

Luna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

mine is fubar too :-/

no use ringing them at all - if you are consistently having troubles contact comreg with a list of your compaints. I've had success with this in the past.

take speed tests of your line over the next week and document the results - dont just do this at peak time. (www.speedtest.ie) - make a graph of your results which will show how pathetic their performance has been of late.

ringing tech support or emailing UPC will get you NOWHERE

Do you have that since a few days too? Before that it was ok, not the best but this is horrible now.

Who or what is comreg and what exactly do they do and how to contact them?

Sorry don't have too much time to search the boards as I am at work atm :/

Luna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I had/have something similar. I had my pc and tv connected up to the wall outlet via a splitter, once I took the splitter out of the equation and plugged the router directly into the wall it worked. Might be worth a shot if you haven't tried that already, my problem is down to an upstream power level issue.

And their tech support rep's haven't a clue anyway, you need to get one of their engineers out to take a look.

Lunatik72 wrote: »
    Do you have that since a few days too? Before that it was ok, not the best but this is horrible now.

Who or what is comreg and what exactly do they do and how to contact them?

Sorry don't have too much time to search the boards as I am at work atm :/

Luna

Comreg = Communications Regulator
    comreg.ie

I had/have something similar. I had my pc and tv connected up to the wall outlet via a splitter, once I took the splitter out of the equation and plugged the router directly into the wall it worked. Might be worth a shot if you haven't tried that already, my problem is down to an upstream power level issue.

And their tech support rep's haven't a clue anyway, you need to get one of their engineers out to take a look.

The problem is it works alright during the day, from about 6pm on you can make speedtests and seeing the speed droping

6mbit, 4mbit down to 200kb!!!!

I only see the pings and pklosses in my game and pings go up to 2k!!!!

But only from 6pm - 12.00am so it is definately a problem with peak times :(

Anyone know a website to test pings and pk losses so I can make report about it? speedtest.ie is not checking pings and losses in detail.

Really thinking about moving to an area where I can get Smart Telecom :(

thanks,
    luna

brim4brim wrote: »
    Comreg = Communications Regulator
    comreg.ie

Thank you, but what exactly can they do? Sorry I am not Irish and never heard of them :rolleyes::confused:

Thank you, but what exactly can they do? Sorry I am not Irish and never heard of them :rolleyes::confused:

Very little most of the time but this is what they are supposed to be doing:
    http://comreg.ie/about_us/roles_what_we_do.523.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

They must be up to something, My connection has been going down during the day for the past 3 days, not for long mind you, but I havent rang. They wont admit it and it comes back eventually...

Dublin 9

They have me trained well, I dont bother to contact them anymore :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

delop wrote: »
    They wont admit it and it comes back eventually...

Don't ask them. Tell them! Also mention you want compensation for all the downtime. They'll only change if customers actually complain.

Yar thats actually another problem, they say .. oh noone else complained so there cant be anything wrong :(

We all should ring them every hour really, the number is free but otherwise they dont care :(

LUna

Yar thats actually another problem, they say .. oh noone else complained so there cant be anything wrong :(

Point out to them you aren't ringing for fun. I know UPC support are useless but never forget, you are their customer.

They are totally retarded. In the morning they tell me to ring when the service goes down. When I do that in the evening they tell me they cannot do tests now I should call in the Morning.

I give up, I cancel and move, anyone got a room with a super SMART line? :p

They are totally retarded. In the morning they tell me to ring when the service goes down. When I do that in the evening they tell me they cannot do tests now I should call in the Morning.

Next time tell the to go f* themselves. Explain you have a problem now and it needs to be investigated. Tell them you want compensation for the downtime and you are strongly considering moving as you are sick of their shoddy service. I reiterate, you are they're customer. There sole purpose is to provide what you need not the other way round. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

i received one months free broadband last month for slow speeds AND the blocking of site - such as del.icio.us - unnacceptable and i told them as much. however, they would not entertain me until i presented my case to a comreg rep and he then escalated the complaint on my behalf.

if they are doing work and it affects their customers then of course you shouldn't have to pay for the outtages.

They have forwarded it to their supervisor now *haha And they still insisting the line tests are ok and they cant find any issues. Great :/

My test before I rang them:

When: Tue Apr 29 2008 18:11:57 GMT+0100 (GMT Standard Time)
    Download: 28,976 bps
    Upload: 13,216 bps
    QOS: 28%
    RTT: 521 ms
    MaxPause: 1860 ms

Oh and pings in game 8000 was the best *yay

Great HUH???

Luna

Don't forget to mail them every couple of days looking for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

COMREG are the telecommunications regulator which were put in place when deregulation came into effect i believe in 1998. Their job is to police companies (such as NTL) which provide any form of telecommunication service including Telephone, Broadband, and even tv and radio. They are the "go to people" when you have an issue with such a service provider and you are not satisfied with the response/action taken. Think of them as an ombudsman. When you email Comreg with details of your issue they will investigate the case and respond to you usually within a day and forward your complaint to your provider. In my experience....it works very well and very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SublimeDivine

I'm just going to change to BT or some other ISP,Ntl is a load of ****.
    I just think its really weird that my internet is comepletely gone during the day (off peak) and seems to come back at peak times? Its so obscure.

Yeah I rang there customer support for about a week,they eventually send out a "technitian" that rings your doorbell and runs away,leaving a card saying he called.

I was in the house and he didn't give anyone a minute to get the door.

Advertisement