Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Awards (Team and Player of the Year Awards Announced)

• 27-04-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Team of the Year announced:

James (Portsmouth)

Sagna (Arsenal)
    Vidic (Man Utd)
    Ferdinand (Man Utd)
    Clichy (Arsenal)

Ronaldo (Man Utd)
    Gerrard (Liverpool)
    Fabregas (Arsenal)
    Young (Aston Villa)

Torres (Liverpool)
    Adebayor (Arsenal)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

only Young and James outside of Man utd, Arsenal and Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Have to say i agree 100%

And, i think, thats the first time ive ever said that...

Funnily enough, being in 6th with a free class the inevitable "OK... do your Prem 11" came up and that was my exact team.

EDIT: actually i had Evra instead of Clichy, i think Evra is the best left back in the prem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Vidic for president:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Congrats to Ashley Young on making the team and signing a new long term contract with Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Think Joe Cole has a right to be agrieved. It will be quite interesting if we do win the league and didn't get one player in the top 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Think Joe Cole has a right to be agrieved. It will be quite interesting if we do win the league and didn't get one player in the top 11

Martin Tyler and Andy Gray were talking about it in commentary yesterday, apparently only a couple of the Chelsea players had made it past 20 odd appearances for the season, which is why they think there were no nominees.

Fair enough team of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Team seems fair enough to me.

Do people agree with Gerrard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

League One team a joke........ 1 point off the top, second best defence, second best attack and we only get 1 player in the 11.

KEIREN WESTWOOD - CARLISLE

ANGEL RANGEL - SWANSEA
    GARY MONK - SWANSEA
    DANNY LIVESEY - CARLISLE
    JULIAN BENNETT - NOTTINGHAM FOREST

ANDY ROBINSON - SWANSEA
    FERRIE BODDE - SWANSEA
    RICHIE WELLENS - DONCASTER
    KRIS COMMONS - NOTTINGHAM FOREST

JERMAINE BECKFORD - LEEDS UNITED
    JASON SCOTLAND - SWANSEA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Evra would be ahead of clichy for me too have to say. Fair play to him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Have to say i agree 100%

And, i think, thats the first time ive ever said that...

Yeh I agree. I'd maybe have Evra in there, but Clichy has been amazing.

Also I'd maybe make an argument for VDS, who has been unreal this year, but James was also going to get it.

What I find utterly amazing, no Chelsea players! Yet they are neck and neck with United for the title. That's a testament to how good their squad is imo, quality everywhere on the pitch.

Also great to see Young in there, he deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Agree with that team. Only question mark is at LB but Clichy and Evra are both brilliant so much of a muchness.

I would say one must also note Berbatov, who playing for Spurs, who are like 11th in the league, managed to get 15 goals and 11 assists, which ain't too bad at all at all.

Both Clichy and Evra have been brilliant, not much in it but would go with Clichy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't disagree with any of those choices. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Slightly different, but not much in it.

James

Sagna Vidic Carvalho Evra

Ronaldo Fabregas Essien Barry (although I know he's mostly played centre)

Torres Yakubu

Subs:
    Hart
    Clichy
    Ferdinand
    Scholes
    Adabeyor
    Mascherano
    Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Iago I can't see how you can leave Gerrard out. He's been incredible since he's been given his new role behind Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not a bad selection but I'd disagree with the selection of Young. I think Petrov ought to go in ahead of him. I also think Adebayor's form dipped pretty dramatically and as such Santa Cruz ought to be given the nod ahead of him. Agree with everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yep, good team indeed, lol

I nearly spit out my drink when I saw Petrov in there.

Santa Cruz does deserve a shout, but Petrov!

Petrov 5 goals and 11 assists!
    Young 7 goals and 17 assists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Think this was voted on earlier in the season, around jan??

Or is that just the player of the year awards?

PHB wrote: »
    I nearly spit out my drink when I saw Petrov in there.

Santa Cruz does deserve a shout, but Petrov!

Petrov 5 goals and 11 assists!
    Young 7 goals and 17 assists!

I'd still have Adebayor in though based on the season.

Ronaldo player of the year
    Fabregas young player of the year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No surprises there at all.
    Was worried that Ronaldo would take both young and old player of the year. Glad it didnt turn out that way

I'm glad too, felt Fabregas deserved the young player award. I guess players who voted figured the same.
    Fabregas deserved a young player award while Ronaldo can be sated with the actual player of the year award.

It's ludicrous that he's even in their to be honest, sure Torres is in there too! A re-jigging of the system to account for the fact that kids develop much younger these days is required.

Still, the two players of the seasons who were really amazing for their teams in the title challenge.

"I feel very good but it is not just my award, my team-mates have helped me a lot this season.

"They give me good passes to score goals - and I score - but it is a good moment for me."

Ronaldo revealed he voted for Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor, but believes the right man walked away with the award.

"I voted for Adebayor because I think he has had a great season as well," he said.

"But you have many players who have had a good season - Torres, Fabregas, many players. But I think I deserve to win!"

Modest as ever ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7370319.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I also think Adebayor's form dipped pretty dramatically and as such Santa Cruz ought to be given the nod ahead of him.

Santa Cruz had a great season, but ahead of Adebayor no chance. His formed dipped with his whole team playing out of sorts, Fabergas's form dipped more dramatically but he still deserves to in there.

Plus I have a bet on the Adeb will finish top scorer in the league (the bookie didn't count Ronaldo, because he agreed with me that he is in a league of his own :))

Dramatic change from last years team of the year. More or less Spot on thou, maybe Barry for Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But I think I deserve to win!"

I'm just tring to imagine Ade or Torres coming out with that.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Im glad he said it. Im isck of Footballer's having to be modest all the time. Thats why I love boxing. A bit of cockiness and confidence does no harm.

As for imagining Adebayor saying it, thats all we can ever do. Didnt he say he'd ring Arsene Wenger and retire if Arsenal didnt win the league this season? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Fairplay to Ronaldo, the **** definitely deserves it. :D

Mike.

This is the same Fabregas who has spit at opponents and told Mark Hughes how he could never have played for Barca? Yeh, I'd be surprised too :rolleyes:

Of course he thinks he deserves to win, why the **** wouldn't he? 38 goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

This is the same Fabregas who has spit at opponents and told Mark Hughes how he could never have played for Barca? Yeh, I'd be surprised too :rolleyes:

Easy on there, he never mentioned Fabregas... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can't really argue with that. Shows you how good the overall Chelsea squad is when they are on the verge of winning the league and donn't have a single player in that list.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Easy on there, he never mentioned Fabregas... :p

Fair enough :)
    Still :)

As said Cesc was never mentioned so whats with the attack on Cesc, it would be easy to highlight certain utd players and their behaviour over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

It's a bit funny that ronaldo can be player of the year but not win young player

cooker3 wrote: »
    It's a bit funny that ronaldo can be player of the year but not win young player
    Fabregas is obviously better at being young!

Forgot he's only 20 actually!

Mike.

On behalf of Ronaldo I humbly appreciate your congratulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

cooker3 wrote: »
    Have to agree with that....seems fairly stupid tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Iago I can't see how you can leave Gerrard out. He's been incredible since he's been given his new role behind Torres.
    I agree but when did that start? Mid January or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Will someone please post up Gerrards goals and assists please to shut up the people saying he shouldnt be in the team. Dont have access in work. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

kmart6 wrote: »
    Have to agree with that....seems fairly stupid tbh!

ronaldo beats fabreags and gets pfa player of the year, but fabregas beats ronaldo and gets young player of the year.....me confused!! :confused:

Anyone care to stick up CCC team of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PFA Premier League Team of the Year:
    David James (Portsmouth), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd), Gael Clichy (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Fernando Torres (Liverpool).

PFA Championship Team of the Year:

Wayne Hennessy (Wolves), Bradley Orr (Bristol City), Ryan Shawcross (Stoke), Dan ****tu (Watford), Paul Robinson (West Brom), Brian Howard (Barnsley), Marvin Elliott (Bristol City), Liam Lawrence (Stoke), Jonathan Greening (West Brom), Ricardo Fuller (Stoke), Kevin Phillips (West Brom).

PFA League One Team of the Year:

Kieren Westwood (Carlisle), Angel Rangel (Swansea), Garry Monk (Swansea), Danny Livesey (Carlisle), Julian Bennett (Nottm Forest), Andy Robinson (Swansea), Ferrie Bodde (Swansea), Kris Commons (Nottm Forest), Richie Wellens (Doncaster), Jermaine Beckford (Leeds), Jason Scotland (Swansea).

PFA League Two Team of the Year:

Jon Lewis (Peterborough), Craig Pead (Brentford), Stephen Foster (Darlington), Danny Swailes (MK Dons), Dean Lewington (MK Dons), Jason Puncheon (Barnet), Keith Andrews (MK Dons), Lloyd Dyer (MK Dons), George Boyd, (Peterborough), Jack Lester (Chesterfield), Aaron McLean (Peterborough).

Liam Lawrence makes the Championship team but can't make the Ireland 40. Hmmmm.....

Ha ha lol at the sensoring of Danny ****tu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Will someone please post up Gerrards goals and assists please to shut up the people saying he shouldnt be in the team. Dont have access in work. thanks.

Premier League - 11 goals 11 assists

All comps - 21 goals 19 assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gerrard - Goals: 2, Assists: 1, Big Games Played Well In: 0

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Although i'm glad Fabregas got young player of the year I don't see how what with ronaldo being nomintated for it AND winning player of the year.

Just taught I'd address that Fabregas has taken a dip in form lately, but still gets an assist in nearly every game. Damn dip.. :mad:
    So, he got 19 assists so far. As far as i can tell thats the most in the Premiership (correct me if Ive missed someone).
    Young is very impressive: 17 assists and 7 goals. Worthy of his spot in the PFA team.

Looking at that, the L1 team would probably beat CCC team in a 90 min game IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Of course he will have a high goal and assist record for a central midfielder who plays up front.

For me Barry gets the nod, 8 goals 10 assists and he is a proper central midfielder. He has played better and more consistent in the smallest squad in the premiership.

No reflection on Gerrards ability but he has had an average season compared to the high levels he has set in the past, so for me it would Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I'm glad too, felt Fabregas deserved the young player award. I guess players who voted figured the same.
    Fabregas deserved a young player award while Ronaldo can be sated with the actual player of the year award.

It's ludicrous that he's even in their to be honest, sure Torres is in there too! A re-jigging of the system to account for the fact that kids develop much younger these days is required.

Still, the two players of the seasons who were really amazing for their teams in the title challenge.

It's stupid the way it's done. He was included in both so should have won both. The way people voted though was if he wasn't in the young player category which makes the system pointless really if you can just disregard people. He should have won both or only been included in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

oh my word boggles :( please take off your blinkers. Gerrard > Barry. He has been better than him this year consistantly, from the start of the season. IIRC even Villa fans were questioning Barrys form for a good part of the season. I like Barry as a player, but Steven Gerrard he is not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement