Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Awards (Team and Player of the Year Awards Announced)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

its like years ago when zidane won world player of the year but henry won european player of the year, even tho zidane was in the same shortlist!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    oh my word boggles :( please take off your blinkers. Gerrard > Barry. He has been better than him this year consistantly, from the start of the season. IIRC even Villa fans were questioning Barrys form for a good part of the season. I like Barry as a player, but Steven Gerrard he is not.

No blinkers on Mr. Alan, Barry has been better than Gerrard this season and deserves to be ahead of him in that team. Fabergas didn't show up for 10 games in a row but he is still in it.

As for those 2 players going missing, I remember having to ask on a good number of occasions deep into a match was Gerrard even playing?

Sure your own manager is trying to sign Barry, persumably to relplace the underperforming Gerrard. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Xavi6 wrote: »

PFA League One Team of the Year:

Kieren Westwood (Carlisle), Angel Rangel (Swansea), Garry Monk (Swansea), Danny Livesey (Carlisle), Julian Bennett (Nottm Forest), Andy Robinson (Swansea), Ferrie Bodde (Swansea), Kris Commons (Nottm Forest), Richie Wellens (Doncaster), Jermaine Beckford (Leeds), Jason Scotland (Swansea).

ONE player from the Leeds side that, on paper, are the top team in the league?!

complete s**t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As for imagining Adebayor saying it, thats all we can ever do. Didnt he say he'd ring Arsene Wenger and retire if Arsenal didnt win the league this season

No! Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I've watched a number of games where i have questioned whether Ronaldo has been playing....still the best player in the league this year. Gerrard has had a super year this year.

I've watched a number of games where i have questioned whether Ronaldo has been playing..

Why didn't you just ask who scored? :)

I've watched a number of games where i have questioned whether Ronaldo has been playing....still the best player in the league this year. Gerrard has had a super year this year.

Yea, but goals always makes you the better player.:D If you dont score you are ****, if you do you are great. Just check out the old Henry vs Van Nistelrooy threads!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Jokeshop that we (Leeds) only have 1 player.

Casper Ankergran, David Prutton and Rui Marques should all be in there along with Beckford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can see the argument about Gerrard.

Gerrard has been great in his new role behind Torres. That role is the exact same position that Tevez plays.
    Tevez is a striker. Gerrard is a midfielder? But he's playing up front?
    The only way not to include Gerrard is if you consider him as a forward now instead of a midfielder.

If you consider him a midfielder, then he deserve to be in there. If you consider him a forward, his goal and assist tally are good, but not overly impressive.

p.s. I'm not saying that Barry should be in there. Jesus christ no. If it's not Gerrard it should be Flamini or Essien.

---
    Yea, but goals always makes you the better player. If you dont score you are ****, if you do you are great. Just check out the old Henry vs Van Nistelrooy threads!

I was thinking about this a while ago, wanted to get back into it, cause ya know, Van Nist tore it up in La Liga while Henry couldn't hack it :P

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Gerrard has been great in his new role behind Torres. That role is the exact same position that Tevez plays.
    Tevez is a striker. Gerrard is a midfielder? But he's playing up front?
    The only way not to include Gerrard is if you consider him as a forward now instead of a midfielder.

If you consider him a midfielder, then he deserve to be in there. If you consider him a forward, his goal and assist tally are good, but not overly impressive.

Gerrard has played in central midfield for the vast majority of the season. And was playing well there before Christmas.

If we're getting into positions; ronaldo? midfielder? :) reeeeally! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

David James (Portsmouth), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd), Gael Clichy (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Fernando Torres (Liverpool).

Imagine havinh this in one team:D Give them all trophies and call someone from other planet to play against them:D
    Btw,i am not sure about Sagna in best season team,CLichy had good games so he can pass,but i dont know about Sagna....

Difference is if you consider Ronaldo a striker than he would still walk in there. :)

Sagna has definately been teh best RB in the league this year. IMO thats one of the few positions thats not up for debate :)

Gerrard has played in central midfield for the vast majority of the season. And was playing well there before Christmas.

I realise that :) I was just explaining the debate.
    Either way, even if he was a further, he'd just push out Torres or Adebayour :P

Also how anyone can not consider Sagna as instant first choice is beyond me. He has been utterly amazing this season, and nobody else has been anywhere near that good. Who else would people suggest?

all the Utd boys are very friendly this morning....ye must be a little worried could end up without a trophy this year ;)

• Advertisement

Nah, I'm excited about the game :) Last week I was just nervous cause both were away. At home we play the United way :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

told Mark Hughes how he could never have played for Barca?
    That is not what happened. Also, relevance?

The team of the season is pretty much spot on. Maybe a little tough on Evra, but otherwise...

all the Utd boys are very friendly this morning....ye must be a little worried could end up without a trophy this year ;)

Should Utd boys start singning now to show optimism before tommorows game?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should Utd boys start singning now to show optimism before tommorows game?:D

Yeah here's a tune for ya -

The Fergie Bus -

"He likes to park it, he likes, he likes to park it
    He likes to park it, he likes, he likes to park it,

The Fergie Bus is parking
    And everyone's defending
    Nou Camp to the San Siro
    Shots on goal is zero
    The fans they are a snoring
    As Fergie's men are boring
    So if you like good football
    You better go watch Arsenal

He likes to park it, he likes, he likes to park it
    He likes to park it, he likes, he likes to park it"

Guyssss!?
    Appropriatte answer for Xavi please:D

• Advertisement

You could be right, but we are used to winning trophies so it will be a shock if we don't, I wouldn't swap it for the ice cold coolness of the low expecting Liverpool fans thou. :)

I was thinking about this a while ago, wanted to get back into it, cause ya know, Van Nist tore it up in La Liga while Henry couldn't hack it :P
    Well the fact the his back is ****ed may have something to do with it.

Boggles wrote: »
    You could be right, but we are used to winning trophies so it will be a shock if we don't, I wouldn't swap it for the ice cold coolness of the low expecting Liverpool fans thou. :)

Yea cause Liverpool never win any trophies. good response :rolleyes:

That is not what happened. Also, relevance?

I was responding to a comment that was never made :)
    jank wrote: »
    Well the fact the his back is ****ed may have something to do with it.

Yeh yeh yeh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

agree with pretty much most of the team maybe evra should be there he is prob the left back in the world atm but fair play to clichy he had a great year.

only a idiot can say gerrard doesnt deserve to be there he has been fantastic this year.

So Ronaldo won title for best payer of the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Ballack instead of Gerrard has not done much this season.
    Reina instead of James.
    Laursen insted of Ferdinand,overrated .

What about Lawrence in championship team but not in Ireland squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

tomred1 wrote: »
    Reina instead of James.

Oh.My.God

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Reina instead of James.

What about Lawrence in championship team but not in Ireland squad.

Ferdinand has been the best defender in the PL by a good distance this season IMO :) Absolute rock :)

Ballack?Laursen?No way .....

• Advertisement

Reina instead of James.

Please tell me you mean "team of the weekend" and not of the season?!

Rio-hate him, but he had been the best defender of the season undoubtadly.

Ballack has come good in the last few weeks, but nowhere near top tier of midfielders in the PL this season.

Laursen is easily the best defender in PL. I knew he would never make the list as most people only see the top 4 on tv now. He is on the top of most Fantasy League teams also.

Please tell me you mean "team of the weekend" and not of the season?!

Rio-hate him, but he had been the best defender of the season undoubtadly.

Ballack has come good in the last few weeks, but nowhere near top tier of midfielders in the PL this season.

Ballack has been great since he came back from injury.
    Reina has been great all season, miles better than JAmes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Laursen is easily the best defender in PL. I knew he would never make the list as most people only see the top 4 on tv now. He is on the top of most Fantasy League teams also.

Because he scored a few goals at the start of the season. Nothing to do with how good a defender he is, if that was the case then Lescott is the best defender in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Wow. I think this is the first season since I started watching football 15+ years ago that I've agreed with the end of season Best XI of the top division... Amazing.

Just echo what others have said, Evra and Clichy have both been amazing so it's difficult to choose between them but few arguments over the selection really... Possibly Barry ahead of Gerrard? Tough call though.

Melion wrote: »
    Because he scored a few goals at the start of the season. Nothing to do with how good a defender he is, if that was the case then Lescott is the best defender in England.

If he was playing for a top 4 club or if he was English he would have made the list (maybe even PLayer of the year). It is simply because Villa are not on the TV as much.

Ferdinand and Vidic have conceded 21 goals in the league. 21! Villa, 47.

Ferdinand and Vidic have conceded 21 goals in the league. 21! Villa, 47.

It doesn't always go on stats. Laursen has Zach Knight beside him!

Ferdinand has Wes Brown :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fabregas beating Torres to Young Player of the Year shows the pointlessness of these awards unless they are voted for in May instead of January.

No it doesn't. I'd pick Fabregas ahead of Torres this season.
    Also the reason Fabregas got it was because he's actually a young player. Ronaldo is young than Torres. It's not a 2nd place award, and that's not why people voted for Ronaldo in the big thing even though they voted for Fabregas in the young award. It's cause Fabregas is actually a young player.

Torres was good before Feburary, amazing afterwards. Fabregas was amazing before Feburary, good afterwards. Why does performing at the end mean anything more than performing at the start?

Also, even if you were not to put in Ferdinand or Vidic, how you'd pick Larsson ahead of Carvalho or Toure is beyond me.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Fabregas beating Torres to Young Player of the Year shows the pointlessness of these awards unless they are voted for in May instead of January.

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

ziggy wrote: »

I think the team is pretty bang on. I also think the choice of Ronaldo and Fab are exactly as it should have been. People can make all sorts of excuses about the team (Gerrard not being a mid-fielder is one of the more laughable one's) but I think all in all, the selections have been bang on.

I also agree that Sagna should have been (and probably was) an automatic choice in the defence, as was Rio. Pity that his behaviour off the pitch, where he was alleged to hit a female steward at the weekend, was part of the headlines, and not the fact that he got his justified plaudits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No it doesn't. I'd pick Fabregas ahead of Torres this season.
    Also the reason Fabregas got it was because he's actually a young player. Ronaldo is young than Torres. It's not a 2nd place award, and that's not why people voted for Ronaldo in the big thing even though they voted for Fabregas in the young award. It's cause Fabregas is actually a young player.

Torres was good before Feburary, amazing afterwards. Fabregas was amazing before Feburary, good afterwards. Why does performing at the end mean anything more than performing at the start?

Also, even if you were not to put in Ferdinand or Vidic, how you'd pick Larsson ahead of Carvalho or Toure is beyond me.

I know what you mean about Febregas being a young player in terms of Torres cos i don't think Torres or Ronaldo should have been up for that award. But the fact thay they were, i don't see how Fabregas could win over either of them cos both Ronaldo and Torres have been consistently brilliant for the whole season, they haven't dipped in form at all

monkey9 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about Febregas being a young player in terms of Torres cos i don't think Torres or Ronaldo should have been up for that award. But the fact thay they were, i don't see how Fabregas could win over either of them cos both Ronaldo and Torres have been consistently brilliant for the whole season, they haven't dipped in form at all

Goals does not equal players playing well. I dont think Fabregas's form has been that bad over the last few months. Just he hasnt been scoring as much.

Can someone please clarify for me when Torres went through a dip in his form? i must've missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

ziggy wrote: »

I was going to say that special mention should be given to this being Torres's first Prem season, but the phone rang, I got side-tracked and hit post. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement