Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squeaky brakes?

Options
  • 27-04-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I can hear a squeak whenever I press my breaks - its quite loud...is this something i shoul be worried about??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

is it a squeak, or a squealing sound like metal on metal. If its a squealing sound, its prob a sign that you need to get your brake pads changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

If it's a light squeak with no sign of metal on metal scraping it's probably just your brakes squeaking due to the surface becoming "glazed" or something. If it's bad though, or if there's even a hint of scraping in there, get them checked out - aside from the danger of having very weak brakes, running for too long with knackered pads can cause damage to your discs, resulting in costing far more than a routine brake pad change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Thanks for the replies :) Will get them checked so!

Just thinking - I got new brake pads in sept...would they have wore that quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

I would say that your brakes are not worn. What happens is, if you're driving in a lot of say city traffic i.e. where you use the brakes gently, over and over, the surface of the pad becomes 'glazed' over and looks almost shiny. This is causing the squeeky noise when it is pressed against the brake disc.

This happens mine all of the time. How I fix it is, at home or in a quiet car park say. I build up a little bit of speed and then apply the brakes hard. Repeat this several times. this helps get rid of the glazed surface.

I would be very surprised if your brakes are worn after only getting them in Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think that your squealing is caused by your new brake pads. I reckon the pads that were fitted are not genuine Original Equipment pads, there are most likely spurious pads. Normally O.E. or original equipment pads have an anti-squeal coating on the back of the bads to prevent this noise. Spurious ones in general do not.
    The squealing is caused by metal on metal vibrations. The metal on metal in this case is the piston of the brake caliper rubbing off the back of the pad (the opposite side to the side that is in contact with the brake disc).

It is not dangerous (see note*), more annoying than anything else. Your mechanic could use copper grease in the areas where the pads meet the calipers to temporarily eliminate the squealing. However in my experience it will come back again.
    You're probably thinking why did your mechanic use spurious parts as opposed to genuine manufacturer parts? Has he screwed me over? The reason he used spurious parts is because they are cheaper, probably meani a cheaper price to you.

note*: Seeing as your pads are new then it is not dangerous. I do not mean that all squealing from brakes is not dangerous, worn pads can cause squealing too, leeting pads go this low certainly is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the sqeaky brakes are the apds worn down and scraping the disc ,causing a grove which will need to be milled or re-placed , around 75-100 per corner...

Im totally confused with the replies!!!!

They squeaked on friday but not on saturday..but were squeaking on sunday..but not today!!!

Strange to say the leats - I do the pressing brakes really hard thing and see how i get on, if not ill get my brother to look at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they are fairly new pads then the probably just need some copper grease applied, to cure the squeaking.

No harm in having them checked for wear in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

S.I.R wrote: »
    the sqeaky brakes are the apds worn down and scraping the disc ,causing a grove which will need to be milled or re-placed , around 75-100 per corner...
    This is an unlikely possibility in this case.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement