Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phnomh Penh - Dangerous?

• 27-04-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Meant to be taking in this city while travelling SE Asia. My mate has been reading about it and thinks its dangerous and wants to bypass it.
    I've read a few forums and most seem to say it's ok as long as you take the usual precautions.
    I'm not too worried about visiting, just wondering if anyone else has been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Look, Phnomh Penh is not as dangerous as town on a saturday night.
    Just watch the usual, begging, people selling ****e in case of pickpockets etc.

Personally i wouldnt go there again, id spend the time in Siem Reap instead, not a whole lot to do in Phnomh Penh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Yeah that's what I figured. Not planning on spending that long there anyway. Will be in Siam Reap beforehand. Not sure how long woul;d need to spend there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

yea agree there siem reap is much nicer,phom phen is a bit of a kip,worth seeing though imo as it is the capital,at night it looks worse then it actually is at the same time i wouldnt feel entirely comfortable walking around on my own,a visit of 2-3 days would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The most dangerous thing in Phnom Penh is to go into Happy Herbs Pizza shop, scoff an entire pizza to yourself and then walk around in a daze whilst coming close to being run over by a random elephant walking down the street:D

Seriously though, at night you'll find alot of side streets that have no lights switched on, avoid them if not for the very small possibility of being mugged then for the perfectly reasonable chance that you could fall into a great big hole in the pavement.

I'd say that if you take all the usual precautions and use common sense then you'll be fine in PP, its only worth a couple of days to see the Killing Fields and the prison, Siem Reap holds the true highlight of Cambodia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

all i am saying is the heart of darkness pub.... stay in the green lake guest house... fantastic, one guy had not left the guest house in 2 weeks as the lads deliverying happy pizzas to him... about 2 dollars a night...

also shoot some big guns... expensive but amazing, menu at range has beer on one side, guns on the other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tea

Yeah, I agree with everyone else here - Phnomh Penh is fine. Its more chaotic and seedy than a lot of SE Asian cities, so it can be a little intimidating at first, but it's probably pretty safe if you keep your wits about you.

Not much to do there, although wandering around watching the city go by is great fun.

Advertisement