Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cycle Lanes - Coast Rd, Clontarf ??

Options
  • 27-04-2008 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭

Just noticed the outlines for what looks like cycle lanes on the Coast Road, between Clontarf and Dollymount. Wonder when they'll be completed, and how they will interact with the existing cycle path alongside Black Banks at one end, and the Bull Island/Clontarf cycle path at the other end.

I swear they weren't there this time last week. :)

It looks like a conspiracy, as the lanes, when complete, will run from my front door to my place of work. It's clearly an omen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Looks great from a distance, unfortunately this surface is still rubbish, well at least the stretch from Café Corvo to Seafield Road is.

Apparently the City Council are going to join up the 2 existing tarmac cycle paths with a new path outside the existing sea-wall, construction not due to start until next year though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

According to local politician's newsheets, this is an 'Advisory Cycle Track'. This term is normally reserved for when Dublin City Council puts down some broken white lines but no statutory road signs or markings. This means cars can park and drive on the 'Cycle Track' at any time.

The surface is concrete with occasional treacherous cracks and seams waiting to trap your wheels. There are gaps in the track where residents refused to move their cars (some opposite a single white line),.

That's another few KM added to Dublin's Strategic Cycle Network.

Now...how long before the lines fade?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've been doing that road for years on my commute. I've never had any issues with the lack of a cycle lane/track. Now that they have added some lines, I guess it looks a bit prettier, but that's about it. I wish they had spent the money repairing the road surface instead. Sometime some motorists drive quite close to the curb, but for the most part it is fine. The only slightly hairy bit is if you are heading outbound at St. Anne's and you want get into the off-road track. The alternative is to go all the way up to the lights and cross there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Passed along there today. There's one or two poles after being erected, so they may be about to put some signs up. I wonder which ones they'll use?

Advertisement