Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locked in a celler for 24 years and abused.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

The Austrians have taken their fondness for the Sound of Music too far. They even have their own Von Trapped family.

Upon her release after 24 years of being locked away Miss Fritzl's first question was " Are Derby still crap ? "

Austrian authorities are worried by the rapid drop in stag nights after it was learnt they actually do lock up their daughters!

To be fair to Josef Fritzl, the Austrian fella, he did put his daughter up for adoption, but the childrens' home in Jersey said their cellar was already full.

Austrian nonce Josef Fritzl is writing a new book.
    People are doubting though whether it will be a best cellar.

With the Big Brother franchise in constant decline, the makers have turned to Josef Fritzl for a few new ideas.

At twenty-four years, Austrian sets new world record for longest game of Dungeons and Dragons.

Knock knock knock knock knock knock!
    Who's there?
    3 kids and our Mum in a cellar!

What with the downturn in the irish housing market and the demand for custom living space dwindling, the Grand Designs team are considering moving the program to Austria, where 'wannabe' architects appear to be making a killing.

On hearing the news of the Austrian, family in the cellar, Shannon Matthews is reported to be gutted after losing her title of Hide and Seek world champion

[/gets coat....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

flanum wrote: »
    The Austrians ... Hide and Seek world champion

[/gets coat....

These were already moved from Humour to the Lolocaust, so you may be expecting trouble for posting them here flan.

I actually enjoyed a few of the jokes that came out of this horrible affair. I gather the consensus is that laughing at the jokes does not an evil person make. However, finding the actual scenario itself funny is not cool. The problem is that some people can't tell the difference between a) laughing at a joke and b) mocking innocent victims. Which, in fairness, is a tough line to draw in such complex cases as Fritzl/9-11/Maddie McCann, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Surely objective reasoning would suffice that in both of them I was referring to my opinion? such as
    "I still find the jokes funny"

You can't reconcile "Where did i say it was funny?" with "I still find the jokes funny" no matter how you try.
    You directly contradicted yourself in this thread (a nice way of putting it tbh) so this is getting a bit silly.
    TO summarize: you said they were not funny, my point was your opinion does not make them unfunny. You accused me of the same thing, you then pointed out points where I had said some of them were funny and "I still find the jokes funny". Sadly, the fact I had made no blanket statements undermines your argument.
    You lose.

Again you're inferring that i'm actually pronouncing on an absolute/objective unfunniness when all i'm doing is offering an opinion.
    It's a matter of taste/subjectivity of course- specifically IMHO poor or good taste (yet again that's merely an opinion).

So that's where the reciprocal presumption bit comes in- you're presuming that i'm pronouncing on stuff when i'm only offering my (subjective) opinions, so for illustration purposes i did it with your opinions to show how unhelpful/misguided that kinda presumption is.
    It was for illustrative purposes only, nothing more.
    The self righteousness comes from the fact your accusing a humour style as being puerile and inconsiderate. It may not be your sense of humour but getting on a high horse about it.
    I disagree with Dudess' opinions on the matter, but she is polite about it. She makes it known it's not her humour but she's not pontificating.

I'm always polite.
    Yet again you're inferring stuff from my mere opinions.
    I'm not offering it as some rule of law, which you seem to think i am- it's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

tech77 wrote: »
    You can't reconcile "Where did i say it was funny?" with "I still find the jokes funny" no matter how you try.
    You directly contradicted yourself in this thread (a nice way of putting it tbh) so this is getting a bit silly.
    You're taking me outta context here.
    When we were discussing that, my point was "Where did I say it was funny" as in objectively. My posts were about jokes being funny to me/not automatically unfunny to others.
    Next.

As for the rest of your post, I wouldn't have a problem with it if you hadn't gone for the whole "puerile" angle.

Really it just reeks of a sense of high handedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

cowan wrote: »
    I was hearing/telling Maddie jokes within 2 hours of hearing about her.
    Oh, you were the creepy guy chatting to her by the swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

And you were the creepy guy watching me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=561197
    Fritzl should be jailed for life: Deaves

15:00 AEST Mon May 12 2008

A South Australian woman who had two children in a sexual relationship with her father has condemned Austrian "monster" Josef Fritzl for his incestuous crimes.

Jenny Deaves told ninemsn she was "absolutely disgusted" at the news of Fritzl and his dungeon family, and said she would turn away the "sick" man if he came to her for help.

Ms Deaves , whose relationship with her father John created a storm of criticism when it was exposed last month, said she believed Fritzl should be locked up for life.

"It's unbelievable — an outright crime … John and I are absolutely disgusted, and appalled.

"It makes me sick to the stomach thinking of what (Elisabeth) and her children have gone through.

"It's horrific, it really is horrific … he should be locked up for life.

"This is the reason incest laws are there and the reason they need to stay there."

Ms Deaves told ninemsn her relationship with John was completely different from the Fritzl's.

"We were consenting adults … in our situation there was no grooming, no lead up and no victim," she said.

Ms Deaves said the seven Fritzl children, three of whom were caged in an underground bunker, would need psychological help but ruled out seeking counselling for her daughter.

"There are a lot more issues in life than having your father who is also your grandfather … for my daughter, the situation will seem nothing compared to Fritzl's … (theirs) is far worse," she said.

The Deaves claimed they went public about their relationship "to bring awareness within society of genetic sexual attraction".

Ms Deaves told ninemsn her relationship with John wasn't a crime because she never saw John as her father.

Last month, the couple told 60 Minutes they were victims of hate crimes since they disclosed their relationship.

But the 39-year-old said today life had returned to normal and that everybody was now leaving them alone.

"The media hype came as quick as it went," she said.

"We couldn’t understand why anyone would be interested in our little family."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Electra complex \o/

Advertisement