Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MYO in Ireland at last!

Options
  • 27-04-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all. Just thought I'd post this since I was thrilled to find out about it myself. It opened in the IFSC and if anyone reading this has been in Oz you may of heard of it already but MYO is a sandwich shop where you Make Your Own. Simple enough really. I spent a year in Australia and living in Melbourne I used to pretty much eat there as often as I could.
    Maybe it's me, but everytime I go to Spar, Londis, Mace or any of those places, they seem to screw up my roll one way or another but I'm just too polite to complain I guess.:(
    Anyway, just thought I'd spread the word and say you should check it out. Anyone else ever heard of it?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

No soup for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

UHh....if I wanted to make my own sandwich I'd do it at home and bring it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I can tell you now, they're bloody expensive. Not worth the price. Give me a chicken fillet roll from Spar any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Joe Robot wrote: »
    UHh....if I wanted to make my own sandwich I'd do it at home and bring it to work.

+1

Sure we have this already. Just tell the shop staff what you want and they’ll do it.
    And if they do it wrong, they can get another roll and start over again.

I’m assuming these MYO are significantly cheaper than most places. As if they aren't they it's just pure profit for the owners. Sack the deli staff and the customers will make their own sandwiches :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

From MYO website:

Have you wasted an entire lunch break standing in line to buy a soggy sandwich made with too much margarine, not enough filling, and even ingredients you don’t like?

Mr Nicholas Bird certainly has, and he realised that like him, other discerning inner-city workers were also being denied the opportunity to quickly purchase the exact lunch they desired. So in 1994, with 20 years’ experience in the food and beverage industry behind him, Mr Bird decided to open an up-market fast food outlet for office workers in Perth, Western Australia.

Called MYO (Make Your Own), this revolutionary sandwich and salad bar gives its customers the power to create their own lunch, exactly the way they like it. MYO promises no queues, value for money, an easy to use system and most importantly, choice – a promise the company has delivered on since day one.

Your lunch, your way
    The MYO concept is incredibly simple and ingenious. On entering the store customers grab a tray, choose their favourite freshly baked bread and begin assembling their sandwich, wrap or roll from the 75 fresh gourmet sandwich fillings, including deli-style meats and cheeses, as they work their way around the servery.

For those who prefer their sandwiches toasty, our instore sandwich presses allow customers to heat up their sandwich, wrap or roll, just the way they like it.

Salads are created in much the same way as the sandwiches. After choosing their meal size (either regular or large), customers go on to fill their bowl with as few, or as many, fresh ingredients as they choose, making the perfect salad, their way.

Alternatively, we have the most extensive and creative range of pre-prepared salads made fresh daily for our customers to choose from. The impressive list includes traditional favourites such as potato, Greek, Caesar, Waldorf, coleslaw, nicoise, and continental pasta salad. It also features daring new salads such as Thai beef, pumpkin on couscous, nutty noodle, Greek bean, Moroccan rice and many, many more.

Each and every fresh, high-quality filling is accompanied by detailed nutritional information giving customers the low down on fat content, calories, carbohydrates and so on. This is making MYO particularly popular with dieters, calorie counters, and those with specific dietary needs.

A food for all seasons
    For those looking for a caffeine fix, steaming cup of soup or a perfect piece of pizza, MYO offers these product lines and more. We make daily fruit salad from the freshest available produce. There’s a great range of muffins and cakes for those with a sweet tooth. Cereal and toast is on hand to satisfy customers’ breakfast cravings. We have the biggest range of steaming hot soups through winter, and hot dishes including curries and pastas. MYO really does have a food for every season.

A food for all customers
    There’s also a food for every imaginable customer, not just those who are diet-conscious. Lunchers on the go can grab their favourite fresh sandwich without having to wait in queues, fussy eaters can have their lunch without the annoying extra fillings often found in pre-packaged sandwiches, and creative eaters can go to town, assembling taste sensations filled with unusual and exotic ingredients.

MYO today
    While MYO may have been born in Australia’s most isolated capital city, the concept is appealing to office workers the world over.

Today, MYO has spread like mayo across the globe. Currently there are 19 branches in Australia, 10 in the UK and Ireland, 1 in Canada, with plans to expand to New Zealand, the US, Asia and the Middle East.

MYO is currently recognised as Australia’s leading sandwich brand and the company anticipates there will be 50 globally by the end of 2011.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I was there last week and honestly, I liked it alot. I can easily make my own sambo before headin into work, (like anyone else), but a lot of times I couldn't be arsed, (or I don't have food:o), whereas come lunch time there's a little bit more life in me. Maybe I'm just not a morning person. The Centra beside me, where I normally get a roll, are scabby as hell with every ingredient, bar onion:confused: Wonder if they're growin them out back? Sometimes I much prefer to make my own sambo cos i know exactly the way I want it, but that's just me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I was there last week and honestly, I liked it alot. I can easily make my own sambo before headin into work, (like anyone else), but a lot of times I couldn't be arsed, (or I don't have food:o), whereas come lunch time there's a little bit more life in me. Maybe I'm just not a morning person. The Centra beside me, where I normally get a roll, are scabby as hell with every ingredient, bar onion:confused: Wonder if they're growin them out back? Sometimes I much prefer to make my own sambo cos i know exactly the way I want it, but that's just me.:)

Guess I'm lucky then. I've got a choice of various deli's and bagel places to get lunch, not to mention restaurants if I want something nicer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Josiah Bartlett

Was in the one in Oz, but havent been to Dublin yet, are they opening more anywhere around. Great concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Smugbug

Not too sure. All I know of is the one in the IFSC. Good concept alright and was surprised it took so long to make it over here. I could see it catchin on though. Well I hope it does anyway.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Josiah Bartlett

I was in MYO in the IFSC today. eventually after looking a while for it i got it. Brilliant. Weirdest sandwich ever. Good price too. Oh and the staff are sound. bit of a laugh not like the other outlets around. Im going back tomorrow, hooked again, forgot what it was like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

whereabouts is the MYO in the IFSC?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

where are these places in Melbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

woodseb wrote: »
    Yup, whereabouts is it? I fancy it this afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sandwiches=Carbohydrate-crammed,processed-meat-containing filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

how does it work, they give ya 2 slices of bread, a knife, and say fire away? as in you butter it yourself, put the fillings in yourself etc?

aidanpower wrote: »

It's opposite Spar. Kinda hard to see at the moment since there are barriers up everywhere with the Luas line being worked on and all that.

You walk in, grab a tray and which ever bread you want, put which ever spread you want on it and then which ever filling. I'd say you're best going there before 12:00 to avoid the rush at lunchtime so the staff there can show you how to go about it. It's simple really.

Degsy wrote: »
    Sandwiches=Carbohydrate-crammed,processed-meat-containing filth.

So many ways to respond to this one.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I like sandwiches. They make me happy.:) I guess it is a filthy habit but there just aren't enough support groups around to help me get over my addiction to bread and UNprocessed meat. When you hear of any, drop me a wee note.
    Thanks
    The Bug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Smugbug wrote: »
    It's opposite Spar. Kinda hard to see at the moment since there are barriers up everywhere with the Luas line being worked on and all that.

You walk in, grab a tray and which ever bread you want, put which ever spread you want on it and then which ever filling. I'd say you're best going there before 12:00 to avoid the rush at lunchtime so the staff there can show you how to go about it. It's simple really.
    I found it alright, it was handy enough, and very close to work since i'm on the opposite side of the Liffey. It was definitely a nice roll, and being able to stack and spread exactly as you like has a definite appeal. The fillings were all of a very high quality, while Spar/Centra/Londis can be hit and miss. I did think that €4.90 was steep though, and i'm not sure it will take over from Centra on Westland Row as my sandwich provider of choice, but it's nice to have options.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I'd say you're best going there before 12:00 to avoid the rush at lunchtime so the staff there can show you how to go about it. It's simple really.

lol how to make a sandwich! Now if only someone could teach me how to tie my laces!

It sounds good...I'll defo be trying it :D (god I'm so hungry!) But it would have to be really nice to beat Quiznos...mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Went to a similar place in London.
    It was great. Made myself a toasted ham,bacon,sausage and roast Chicken ciabatta.
    Good luck getting someone in Spar to make you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

the MYO in the IFSC is in one half of where the Excise Bar used to be. Tried it myself today - it is handy - like a self service salad bar and is a nice difference to all the identical sandwich bars in the IFSC. I also saw them installing a Starbucks sign on the otherside of the old Excise bar today. This is the second Starbucks to open in IFSC in just a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Lot of new members eager to promote MYO. Wonder what thats all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Don't know of the one in Melbourne, but there was a place in Cairns that they made them (sounds a bit healthier than everyone breathing over the food - sorry haven't seen it so shouldn't comment) but you it was set out so you choose first the bread/wrap, then the filling and salad etc. could have heated flavoured stuff as well.

I will tell my hubby to check it out. He usually goes to Arnotts sandwich bar cos it's one place you can choose with out having butter slapped on everything and gallons of mayo soaking through the bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    where are these places in Melbourne?

There's heaps in Melbourne, all inner city, look around the courts and business end as opposed to the shopping areas and you'll find them everywhere. Also look for DIY sandwich bars, same concept also in Melbourne.

The Melbourne ones have porridge/cereal/toast/muffins for mornings and then pasta choices, pizza and soups for lunch as well as the sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

woodseb wrote: »
    aidanpower wrote: »
    It's opposite Spar. Kinda hard to see at the moment since there are barriers up everywhere with the Luas line being worked on and all that
    It must be on Mayor Street Lower then.
    Oh and the staff are sound. bit of a laugh not like the other outlets around
    That's put me right off. I like staff who do their job quietly and efficiently and without any laughs!

Now folks ease up on the over-promotion of this outlet. If I was cynical, I'd suspect a few of you work there of have an interest in it.

PS - am I the only one in Ireland who thinks that 'off the shelf' factory made sandwiches taste much better than those made to order (in any shop)?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

PS - am I the only one in Ireland who thinks that 'off the shelf' factory made sandwiches taste much better than those made to order (in any shop)?
    Agreed.

There was a place on Camden St (where Bobo's is now) about 4-5 year ago that had a 'make your own' system. A really nice young couple started it up. I found out quickly that I'm rubbish at putting sambos together and it's much better left to those with a bit of practice in the area.

They did do a lovely eggybread and rasher breakfast. Can't get eggybread anywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's hard to tell because they packaged ones are always either too cold or slightly wet :(

The deli in spar (could be supervalu?) down beside the burlington do lovely sambos and they're pretty damn cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Actually when i was that london once, we got some packaged sambo's out of this shop that were dirt cheap and pretty damn tasty..one of the lads said it was a charity shop or homeless people used it but it was alright in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

If you are into stuff like fancy bread, fetta cheese, olives, rocket and other gourmet ingredients you'll love it. I'm with Xavi6 though. I'd much prefer a humble roll filled with chicken, cheese and maybe some egg mayonnaise or the perrenial brekkie roll. Nyom :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement