Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car squeeking.

Options
  • 27-04-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    picked up my car today. I bought it. Anyways when driving it home i noticed a very clear squeek. Its pretty loud. When i test drove the car i didnt notice any squeeks but now there is. Its specifically from the R/H front wheel. Its there regardless of braking or not. could it just be a bit of rust on the discs? the car was sitting there not moving for over a month...
    Is there any way to check? i can't really see my discs unless i take the wheel off.

Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The brakes could be partially seized

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Any way of knowing? if i just jack it up and spin the wheel will that tell me?
    How do i go about fixing this?

It appears to be louder when going around a R/H turn even at slow speed.

I jacked her up today. took a look around and noticed two things. One: the pads on the wheel were constantly in contact with the discs they also looked fairly faded. Second thing is on the outer rim of the disc was the metal ends. these came out approx .5mm- 2mm from the disc where the pads meet. Should this be a problem? ie; worn discs. There are only moderate scrathes nothin you could even measure or feel.
    I forgot to take pics so i sketched up what i'm seeing using MS paint. Hope somebody can help and give me a heads up before i call on a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

You don't say what make of car it is, but first point: the brake pads don't spring well clear of the discs when the brakes are released -- they just skim the surface with no pressure. A bit of a lip around the edge of the disc is fairly normal in an older car, and not a problem until the discs become heavily scored or worn. Brake squeal can happen due to the lack of lubricant between the hydraulic piston and the pad back, and is irritating but not serious. It's also possible that the squeak is as a result of worn suspension bushes -- Fords do it a lot. Not a big or expensive job to fix. Does it squeak all the time or only in dry weather? If the latter I would suspect suspension bushes.

ART6 wrote: »
    You don't say what make of car it is, but first point: the brake pads don't spring well clear of the discs when the brakes are released -- they just skim the surface with no pressure. A bit of a lip around the edge of the disc is fairly normal in an older car, and not a problem until the discs become heavily scored or worn. Brake squeal can happen due to the lack of lubricant between the hydraulic piston and the pad back, and is irritating but not serious. It's also possible that the squeak is as a result of worn suspension bushes -- Fords do it a lot. Not a big or expensive job to fix. Does it squeak all the time or only in dry weather? If the latter I would suspect suspension bushes.

Sorry, its a Hyundai Accent. (00). I have not drove it in the wet yet because i only transferred my insurance long enough to get it home. I jacked it up recently and spun the disc itself. the squeek is definately isolated to the disc/ brakes No evidence of any vibration or damage. The brake pads are literally touching the disc unless its only 0.2-0.5 mm distance off. while driving there was no noticeable smell of brakes burning now that i think back. Will this just wear off or should i just call up a mechanic?

• Advertisement

Like I said, the pads hardly clear the discs when the brakes are released -- they just don't apply any pressure to them. If they didn't work that way you'd have to press the pedal down a long way before they stopped the car. However, if the car wasn't used for a while I suppose a cylinder could be partially siezed with dried dirt so that it doesn't release properly. If you can get access to the pad, stick a screwdriver between it and the disc and push it back, then work the brake pedal. Might have to do that a few times. Either way, if it isn't releasing fully it's not serious or dangerous, but it might wear out the pad a bit quicker it it's really pressing on the disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A mouse?? :eek: (Couldn't resist it)

Like I said, the pads hardly clear the discs when the brakes are released -- they just don't apply any pressure to them. If they didn't work that way you'd have to press the pedal down a long way before they stopped the car.

It doesn't appear to be causing an friction. if i drop the h/brake i can push the car no problem. It seems to be less squeeky but i haven't drove it properly yet. the timing belt is due so i'm afraid to drive it for fear of F**kin up the engine. I can't get a screw driver in between its a good bit tight. i compared it to my neighbours car who has alloys which means i could see the brakes better. The gap seems *about* the same.
    if the car wasn't used for a while I suppose a cylinder could be partially siezed with dried dirt so that it doesn't release properly
    Either way, if it isn't releasing fully it's not serious or dangerous, but it might wear out the pad a bit quicker it it's really pressing on the disc.

Will some normal driving around fix it? or will it constantly wear down to nothing?

If there's no noticeable resistance then the pad must be just barely touching the disc, in which case it won't wear down to nothing. I would expect that if the cylinder is not relaxing properly due to a bit of dirt on the stem, the problem will go away soon enough with regular application of the brakes in normal driving.

Advertisement