Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Gordon Brown?

Options
  • 27-04-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭

I think he is a rather weak Prime Minster, i've yet to see somthing from the man and i know he is still quite new to his new job but c'mon, he hasn't inpressed me really and i think he is rather bland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

David Cameron's gonna give him a hammering in the next general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Absolutely and I'd vote for Cameron if I lived in the UK. Brown's leadership skills leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Tbh, I think the real warning signs were when he went to the US recently, and the only question asked was "is he going to meet the Pope?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Looks like Brown's stint as Prime minister will be short lived ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Classic case of desperatly wanting the job and then discovering you're no good at it.

He started well enough but a leader must be desicive and steadfast even when completely wrong. Otherwise you can be turned this way and that by any party.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

hes the quintesential scotts presbyterian , dour , humourless etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Well he certainly doesn't have Tony Blair's charisma. But as a leader it's early days for him yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 achillesminor

I quite like him tbh, he's articulate and intelligent and because he doesn't have any particularly flamboyant personailty traits can't simply charm his way out of a predicament like Blair would be capable of.(This is kind of apparent if you witnessed his appearance on the Americon Idol type show *shudder).

I think, however, while he has had problems dealing with the issues that have arisen in England it is in some respects unfair to hold him to be entirely complicit.

Most - if not all- of the current problems stem from Blairs associating with America's atrocious foreign policy over the last few years. Blair only really started to come under scorn near the latter part of the war - the credit crunch not having even been hinted at by then - so him and his lackeys only had to throw a few witty jokes out every so often to counter any criticism. Once he was out of the position whoever the nex candidate happened to be would have to deal with the credit crunch which had it's beginnings in America as a result of economic entrenchment in the war that Blair was complicit with America in starting.

So, I say give the chap a break. However, I could be completely off the mark here, which, if it is the case, please correct me so I don't make myself look like a fool in the future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

He exhibits no charisma IMO and is stuck in rut, and becoming increasingly unpopular in the UK. The job he envied became his and he appears to be able to do little with it. If he was elected in his own right perhaps things might have been different, but I doubt it. Intelligent but oh so dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

I think he's effective but uninspiring. More of a manager than a leader.

Thats my concern about Brian Cowen as well. I remember watching him on Q&A coming up to the last GE and he came across as a cranky/dour person. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I think he's effective but uninspiring. More of a manager than a leader.

Thats my concern about Brian Cowen as well. I remember watching him on Q&A coming up to the last GE and he came across as a cranky/dour person. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong

Cowen, god i wonder what the Americans will think of him after Bertie, i'd say they'll laugh him out the building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have still to get those rude 'yet amusing' remarks out of my head made by Paisley a couple of years ago about .......Brian Cowans Mother sticking her ugly son to the Patio Doors with his Big Lips :) & every time
    I now see Cowan the image is ingrained in my brain, 'sorry' and I am sure he's a very nice man etc etc,
    (but he's not a Statesman or a leader), and as for Gordon the gofer, 'DOUR' just isnt a strong enough word.

Cameron must be rubbing his hands in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Cowen, god i wonder what the Americans will think of him after Bertie, i'd say they'll laugh him out the building

Given their current leader........i dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ArthurF wrote: »
    I have still to get those rude 'yet amusing' remarks out of my head made by Paisley a couple of years ago about .......Brian Cowans Mother sticking her ugly son to the Patio Doors with his Big Lips :) & every time
    That was rich!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He struggles a lot to disguise his campness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Last week the cost of inflation in the uk rose by 15.1 %.

Gorden browne takes some of the blame for this .

Labour got hammered in the local elections this week .

He and Labour look to be on their way out

Hell even the failed asylum seekers ,so fed up with labours policys are leaving in droves :D

I saw him on Sky News with Boulton and it was the same old rhetoric of 'we'll listen to people's concerns and show them that we have the leadership and ideas to lead the country'. There was little or no detail about this supposed 'leadership' and he went on about the Conservatives as 'salesmen' with little or no substance.

Anyway I'd say David Cameron and his shadow cabinet will be focusing on developing a policy framework over the next six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Chakar wrote: »
    Anyway I'd say David Cameron and his shadow cabinet will be focusing on developing a policy framework over the next six months.

Didn't work for Labour (Irish) last year.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Didn't work for Labour (Irish) last year.

I meant in the context of establishing their 'substance' in the words of GB. It'll be done over a longer time frame of course.

He's not a leader. That's a problem when you're supposed to lead, thus the present troubles.

• Advertisement

He's not a leader. That's a problem when you're supposed to lead, thus the present troubles.

True. I don't see any way out for the British Labour Party under Brown unless the economy improves in the short to medium term. Otherwise they need David Miliband to become Prime Minister to turn this around.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

A competent chancellor and a very good economic intellect. Sadly, not so good at pretending to care about 'people issues' etc, etc a la Blair and now Cameron.

Cameron is a sly operator though, something completely uneasing about him I find. I'd prefer Brown any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

times are hard and they are going to get harder, that's why I believe Bertie has jumped ship. Gordon Brown has got a very hard job on his hands and is struggling, meanwhile, it is easy for a master politician like Cameron to score points off him.

I think Gordon Brown is the right man at the moment as he is very economically astute, but Cameron's charisma and political expertise is making him look like a muppet. I get the feeling Cameron is all talk and if he were in No 10 would be bloody useless.

Advertisement