Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which diesel Merc to get for abou E15,000

Options
  • 28-04-2008 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Whats a decent Merc model, must be a diesel, preferrably manual but automatic will be considered if its not known to give trouble. Few extras like leather and air/con would be nice, doesnt neeed much more than that. Something around 2002 - 2004, the newer the better.

Ive heard some people say the newer ones arent a patch on the old mercs but i'd imagine the diesels are still good on the whole, yeah? What are typical common problems, and have they timing belts or chains?

Are the badges related to the engien sizes these days, like is a 180 a 1.8litre or has that all changed.

Would you get one in England easy enough and would you save much typically on a Merc's vrt in general and going by the budget above.

This car is a contender for my folks which is why it might appear i dont seem to have a particular model in mind, I wouldnt have been overly interested in them before now so hence my lack of knowledge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Well the older cars feel more durable, but mechanically the new ones dont give trouble. You are talking about either a "C" or an "E" Class, so the engines are 220, 270 & 320 CDI. I hear the 270 is the least durable. You are unlikely to find a 320CDI with a manual box and either way the auto's are far more desireable and really well worth considering as the manuals dont suit the nature of the cars.

The "C" Class is considerable smaller and you would be looking at the W203 chassis, I dont think you will find a decent "E" Class in that budget, in 2002 the W210 was replaced by the W211.

For economy choose the 220 CDI engine, is a 4 pot, not as smooth as the 320 6 cylinder but a good powerful diesel in its own right.

You may find a late W210 E220 CDI in you budget but to be honest it'll be hard finding any diesel 2002 Merc for that price.

Advertisement