Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie's big day in Congress

Options
  • 28-04-2008 1:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

...so anyway I read somewhere there is bit of a rumour doing the rounds that some members of congress, possibly even the speaker, are not entirely happy with Bertie's visit now. Doubt there is much truth in it but basically the way US media agencies greeted his resignation with terms like 'corrupt' and 'scandal' was probrably a bit harsh considering no one knows all the facts.

Anyway Wednesday is his big day and maybe its best to concentrate on his speech and the fact that it is an honour for the Irish people to have our Taoiseach speak to a joint session of Congress and leave the other stuff out of this thread.

Did you know that Fine Gael have had the most Taoiseachs address congress which I find bizarre considering they have only been in government for all of 12 years! - Maybe they just got lucky:confused: Anyway im sure congress will be stupdified when they hear Bertie speak! - 'eh,eh,eh'.........I wonder what Bertie is actually going to say in his speech? He has to keep the waffle going for half an hour;)

Anyone have any idea what he might speak about besides the North!? Its on at 4pm on Wednesday on RTE 1.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Have to say he had a good speech in Westminster. I'm expecting him to talk out his arse about how the Irish feel about the US and vice versa on our behalf and he'll do it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

going to be fairly hard for him to top the Westminster one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Hopefully he'll pay tribute to the FDI of all the US multinationals, as well as do something to encourage them to stay despite the spectre of tax harmonisation.

It is a good moment for him, he has steered the country through prosperous times and there is a lot to celebrate. This is a great place to live and he has been the leader for a decade.

Unwittingly, he's done great things for political dialogue by telling half truths about his personal finances and forced people like myself to become far more familiar with boring long winded texts and reports than I would prefer, out of curiousity to get to the bottom of it.

I would hope he only touches on the scandal briefly, if at all - in Congress he's representing Ireland and not himself. We have such a shared heritage with the diaspora and business links that it should be an uplifting speech.

If he was ballsy, he might make a reference to Mess-opotamia, but he's not so he'll probably toe the line. If he wanted to stick his head over the parapet, it could be done in a friendly and oblique way by saying something like "America has done the hard yards in Iraq, removed an evil and violent man from power and is now in a position to rebuild the fabric and infrastrucure of civil society. We will support them on the world stage to do that (pause) multilaterally"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Maybe he will thank the US for not invading Ireland and try to discern when they plan to take over the whole world. May as well know cause it dosent seem that unlikely.

What an OTT comment by myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

turgon wrote: »
    Maybe he will thank the US for not invading Ireland and try to discern when they plan to take over the whole world. May as well know cause it dosent seem that unlikely.

What an OTT comment by myself.

Not THAT OTT, really.....they've been known to invade countries using the excuse that those countries had a minority population of terrorists.....of course, we don't have oil, but I'd bet that they're keeping an eye on how much Shell are piping inland up in Mayo!!! We'd better not start selling it in euro, anyway, just to be safe!!!

If Bertie managed to come out and quiz Bush on some of the hows and whys, of their lies and crap foreign policies, or ask why they're abusing our airport, then I might manage to regain some respect for him before he skulks off into the shadows like his predecessor Haughey.....hardly likely, though.....that'd involve Bertie having an opinion and conviction, which goes against his "I agree with everyone" sham persona.

Still, those two will probably understand each other alright, even aside from mangling the English language; given that both give off the supposed "man of the people" persona while acting the complete maggot and driving their countries economies and reputations into the ****e, they're two of a kind.....

Whatever he does or doesn't say doesn't affect me; it was said above that he's representing Ireland and not himself......I'll have to disagree, because he's unlikely to represent me while he's licking Bush's arse......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I hope he makes a good speech but I wonder what difference it will make anyway, whether it's good or bad.

And I also wonder how much of the speech will he write himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You'd have to think that he'd make the effort to write it himself and have people look over it ... It is his last big moment in the spotlight, for the moment at least. Looking forward to hearing what he talks about.. hopefully he'll do a good speech. As someone else said, it'll be hard to top Westminster, but reckon he'll give it his best shot!

He didn't have the best nights sleep though, according to RTE:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0430/ahernb.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

:d:d:d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

I doubt very much if bertie has ever written a speeh in his life. The guy can barely put two words together...... We should all be very proud.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

juuge wrote: »
    I doubt very much if bertie has ever written a speeh in his life. The guy can barely put two words together...... We should all be very proud.;)

eh in fairness, it's all about de delivery ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

eh in fairness, it's all about de delivery ;)

True....so if the speechwriter delivers it in a brown envelope, he should have no problems....hope he knows what today's exchange rates is, though!!!!

Ah no, let's be fair - our Bertie is bound to give another Sterling performance.....you can bank on it!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

What time/ radio channel will it be on?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

3.45 is when radio and tv are going over to it. AHRTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

s' on now.

not a bad speach so far. getting pleanty of applause. covered 9/11 and the peace process up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Lots of ovations too. Im proud. :)

Good speech, bit rushed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 thebigshot

Bertie over paying tribute to his masters. What a puppet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Not bad but delivery of speeches work much better when the orator works 'off book'. I don't mean ad-lib just practice lines. Can't think of one irish polititian that when making speech or longish announcement that works off book. Pity, it lessens impact when the viewer has zero eye contact with orator.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

well i for one have to admit to being proud of An Taoiseach today :) In all honesty he done well ... little to no speech inpediments which i was expecting.

Seriously, when he spoke of being the first Irish Leader to inform the United States of Ireland being at Peace i was :D and the standing ovation he received for that alone was amazing...credit all round to the speech-writters and of course to him, for his delivery ...

Job well-done

He addressed all the major issues that has affected Ireland in the past and even affecting Ireland today ... Was happy that he started his speech with speaking about the un-documented Irish ... and the standing ovation that received is promising

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

I also though he delivered it very well and covered all the major issues he should have. The only thing he did badly was he kept messing with the cuffs of his shirt which i found very distracting.

Also lol at Nancy Pelosi's introduction. Im 99% sure she said Bertie A. Hern instead of Bertie Ahern. Pretty bad IMO not even knowing his proper name.

have to agree ... too much figiting with his cuffs but he was obviously nervous ... I've seen him speak at various Ard Fheiseanna and today i can count the number of times he looked at the audience in front of him (during the speech at times of applause), with one hand ... I felt a more frequent look up and at least address the standing audience would have gone down well

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kerry4sam wrote: »
    and not pronouncing his name right :eek: hello, it's not that hard to pronouce :rolleyes:

Was just going to say that. You'd imagine she would have at least run it by someone to make sure it was right. Bertie A-hern indeed,

and not pronouncing his name right :eek: hello, it's not that hard to pronouce :rolleyes: but thats a minor incident on a day that was

^^Timemachine!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

humberklog wrote: »
    Not bad but delivery of speeches work much better when the orator works 'off book'. I don't mean ad-lib just practice lines. Can't think of one irish polititian that when making speech or longish announcement that works off book. Pity, it lessens impact when the viewer has zero eye contact with orator.

On the ball!!! Felt the exact same thing when watching, as if he was trying to avoid the crowd. Made it feel like he weren't connecting with the Americans.

On criticism I have of the speech is the way congress speaker (nancy something) jumped off her seat once 9/11 was mentioned. And then he got an ovation. I think Americans are to caught up in their patriotisms and cant get over 9/11.

^^Timemachine!!!

:rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Very well done; whatever about the recent controversy, he did us proud.

I've just watched it here:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0430/ahernb.html

I wonder now with the response he received to "the Irish built America, now i hope you look afer the un-documented Irish" will anything actually be done or were the members of the houses just caught up in the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

When i heard his speech i was like, you know Bertie's an alright guy, he has done a lot for the country even though i've never really agrred ti the oul kiss ass, but still a heart warming speech none the less

Advertisement