Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie's big day in Congress

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Ahern talked too fast during the speech.I doubt half of the unfortunate listeners had a clue what the guy was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't mean ad-lib just practice lines. Can't think of one irish polititian that when making speech or longish announcement that works off book.

Harney. Rabitte. Higgins (X2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I also though he delivered it very well and covered all the major issues he should have. The only thing he did badly was he kept messing with the cuffs of his shirt which i found very distracting.

Also lol at Nancy Pelosi's introduction. Im 99% sure she said Bertie A. Hern instead of Bertie Ahern. Pretty bad IMO not even knowing his proper name.
    Did she call him Tea-sack of Eye-er-lund?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Stekelly wrote: »
    Was just going to say that. You'd imagine she would have at least run it by someone to make sure it was right. Bertie A-hern indeed,

These are the same people who say I-raq.:rolleyes:
    By the way, why wasn't George Bush present?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Hermy wrote: »
    By the way, why wasn't George Bush present?
    Because he is neither a Congressman nor a Senator?

Also, what's with him being the first leader of an Ireland "at peace"? There was a notable absense of violent conflict 1922-39, 1945-68 he's forgetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Also, what's with him being the first leader of an Ireland "at peace"? There was a notable absense of violent conflict 1922-39, 1945-68 he's forgetting.

I think it was Ireland at Peace, and addressing America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Just watched it there, watched his Westminister speech as well and between the 2 I think he definitely did us proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I think it was Ireland at Peace, and addressing America.

Yeah from my understanding he was saying that he was the first Irish leader to address the United States stating that Ireland was as peace, as opposed to going to the US of A asking for help/assistance in having peace on the ground

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks EK.
    Just wondered, that's all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Saw some excerpts on the paper - cliché of the day seems to have been "don't mention the war" :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I wonder now with the response he received to "the Irish built America, now i hope you look afer the un-documented Irish" will anything actually be done or were the members of the houses just caught up in the moment

Think of all the lovely tax they could earn if they document the undocumented. I imagine they wouldn't mind sorting out the Irish immigrants, but there are so many others that would be looking for the same treatment if the Irish got documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

and with this being an election year in America nothing will be done until next year at the very earliest but the issue had to be raised by him anyways

Advertisement