Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking a holiday while writing a thesis

• 28-04-2008 5:30am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello. I'm about to start an MA in September and I really want to know if it's possible to take a holiday the summer of the thesis. I've no one else to ask so I hope one of you guys know. Like, if I was really up speed in July could I head away for 2 weeks. It's a one year MA by the way. Do I have to be near the University after exams finish in May and before the thesis is due in September?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I did a Masters in English last year and I managed to take a one week holiday in July in the middle of writing my thesis. Its possible if you're willing to put in the work before and afterwards. You would have to clear it with your supervisor aswell as they will be making a schedule for you. You should know though that there's no real holiday when you're writing a thesis cos it will be on your mind the whole time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭reregholdsworth

Hi, I completed a masters by research thesis last year while living in a different country to my supervisor and to my home university. Although this worked well for me, it wasn't through choice.
    However, I was researching in the humanities and I'm not sure it would be so feasible in other academic fields. I had access to university and state libraries and online archives and could take time to visit archival material whenever it was not widely available in a digital format.
    To be honest you are talking about a holiday, why would it not be possible?
    are you doing it in a laboratory subject and will you have to sit and watch experiments?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

No I'm doing it in a humanity (International Development) I just really don't know what the structure is. It says 12 months, September to September and I'll get all the usual University holidays off; Christmas, Easter etc. but since there's no lectures during the summer I really don't know what the story is.
    Thanks for your help guys.

Advertisement