Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris Moyles = Me Angry!

• 28-04-2008 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Morning,

So I bought an Internet Radio/Alarm Clock on the weekend, anyways I said to myself I think I will wake up to BBC Radio 1 this morning. I generally like to listen to the radio for a half hour before getting up, but I will never listen to Chris Moyles ever again, he is the most annoying person I have ever heard on the radio, from 7.00-7.15 was him talking to the most annoying background jingle in the world. I switched off and wont be listening again thats for sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

thanks for the tip :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Chris Moyles is an acquired taste I'm afraid, much like a pint of Guinness! He has 8 million listeners and the show listening figures grow year-on-year so he's doing something right! I think that you probably caught him on one of his most annoying days.

Some of the show is absolutely hilarious while other times, I'm like you were today, I can't change station quickly enough! Probably the best thing about his show is that none of it is 'forced' humour like you get from prats such as Colm and Jim-Jim :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Chris Moyles is an acquired taste I'm afraid, much like a pint of Guinness! He has 8 million listeners and the show listening figures grow year-on-year so he's doing something right! I think that you probably caught him on one of his most annoying days.

Some of the show is absolutely hilarious while other times, I'm like you were today, I can't change station quickly enough! Probably the best thing about his show is that none of it is 'forced' humour like you get from prats such as Colm and Jim-Jim :rolleyes:.

Have to agree with this...if you're not a regular, some of his stuff and the moods he takes can piss you off, you just have to know how to take him. There are also a lot of in-jokes between the team, that can go over the heads of the casual listener.
    That said there have been times where I've just turned the channel, due to a crap link or something that drags on, but the otherwise consistent quality would keep me coming back...especially the guest interviews.
    I'd still take Moyles on his worst day over any of the muppetry on Irish popular stations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that's funny, I'm planning to buy an internet radio just so I can listen to his show in the mornings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Hes not funny and neither is the 20 other imitation breakfast shows the UK has to offer. I live over here now and find myself listening to TERRY WOGAN :eek: because he is one of the few people that doesnt have an army of background cheerleaders and text readers fighting to out shout each other like senior infants students trying to grab a teachers attention.
    Morning time should mean, nice peaceful start to the day imo. with a light sprinkling of topical news, and humour but not this bull.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Moyles is indefinitely an acquired taste. I worked in the UK and used to listen to him in the afternoon and now download the weekly podcast, which cuts out all the annoying jingles and crap radio 1 tunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Wertz wrote: »
    Have to agree with this...if you're not a regular, some of his stuff and the moods he takes can piss you off, you just have to know how to take him. There are also a lot of in-jokes between the team, that can go over the heads of the casual listener.
    That said there have been times where I've just turned the channel, due to a crap link or something that drags on, but the otherwise consistent quality would keep me coming back...especially the guest interviews.
    I'd still take Moyles on his worst day over any of the muppetry on Irish popular stations...

+1

This be true. I've only recently gone back to Moyles after a couple of years of not listening. If he annoys me, I tune elsewhere for a few mins. I must be the only person who can listen to both Moyles and Wogan in the morning, and still appreciate both! :pac:

DMC wrote: »
    +1

I must be the only person who can listen to both Moyles and Wogan in the morning, and still appreciate both! :pac:

Nah, I'm the same although to be really honest, my preferred station of choice for morning radio is BBC4. The today show, Andrew Marr, Melvyn Bragg and all of those shows really entertain me. My wife can't stand radio boring (BBC4) in the morning so it's usually Chris Moyles or perhaps KissFM on the way to work. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

deRanged wrote: »
    that's funny, I'm planning to buy an internet radio just so I can listen to his show in the mornings!
    You can now listen to Radio One on the internet from Ireland, but only using Real Player for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

used he be the commentator on robot wars?

• Advertisement

Could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Craig Charles (Lister in Red Dwarf) hosted Robot Wars for it's entire run.

As for Wogan or Radio 4, I've reached the age where some of R1's musical output is grating on the ears (never their dance stuff though), but I'm not yet at a place where I could comfortably listen to R2 for more than a short while, Wogan is a good host though and the show has a nice feel to it, even if it's still a bit middle aged for me (I'm in denial :D )...have always liked R4 for news and in depth chat and for when everything else is annoying me, even when I was a lot younger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have an intresting collection of radio programmes on cassette and cd from the 60s/ 70s such as radios 1 such as radios London,RNI ,England ,Hilversum ,Atlantis ,Caroline etc , and some of the dj's back then such as kenny evertt sound so cool . I liked that american style ,fast talking style of radio with the jingles/commercials / funny outakes, in between the hits of the day .The late Alan freeman used to present his pick of the pops on bbc radio 2 up until the late 90s which was very much still in that format, zany jingles and orchestral outakes and all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

used he be the commentator on robot wars?

nah that was jonathan pearce - he commentates on footie too!

Chris Moyles is class, i absolutely love the show. I just dont get up early enough to listen to any of his show though :D

blue-army wrote: »
    You can now listen to Radio One on the internet !
    I do, but I'd like to have a standalone radio, instead of the laptop or digi box thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Well I am certainly on the look out for a new breakfast radio show, I am going to listen to Johnny Vaughan and Denise Van Outen tomorrow morning to see what they are like.

Oh if anyone can suggest something good to wakeup to anywhere in the world let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Willstev, Johnny and Denise are just full of the usual twoddle i'm afraid. Johnny always seems to come across as trying to hard to be humourous and exaggerates everything, you'll probably see what I mean!

While i accept that Moyles is probably not to everybody's taste, he absolutely knocks the socks off any Irish DJ to be honest. Met him over in london once and seemed dead sound 'in real life' so to speak.

Willstev ,just give carpark catchphrase a go on listen again, its usually the last 15 min of the show, or Rob DJs Monday night pub quiz on Tuesday mornings...pure class:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Moyles is hard to beat... love or hate him he's transformed BBC R1 breakfast along with his team to be one of the best breakfast shows on this genre. Just my opinion...

Not mentioning any names that are not allowed to be discussed on this forum but happened to be listening to a certain show TODAY around midday on Irish radio and had a bout of Deja Vu with jingles that sounded a near match to Moyles' jingles. Has anyone else heard them??

Deja Vu with jingles

Yeah I picked up on that aswell, the voice over guy for Moyles that performs the cheesy song etc, sounds almost identical.

And the Rob Dj pub quiz theme tune is used by Will Leahy from time to time...well I guess they all learn from the master!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Yeah I picked up on that aswell, the voice over guy for Moyles that performs the cheesy song etc, sounds almost identical.

And the Rob Dj pub quiz theme tune is used by Will Leahy from time to time...well I guess they all learn from the master!

Just following in a long line of DJ's over here who have, for want of a better word, um, "lifted" material from British DJ's.

Ronan Collins uses an old theme tune from BBC Radio 2, iirc, it was used on John Dunn's show.

Compare and contrast Gareth O'Callaghan on 2FM in the afternoon and Steve Wright on BBC Radio 1 (at the time) and BBC Radio 2 right now. (Well not this week, he's off)

bbability wrote: »

Not mentioning any names that are not allowed to be discussed on this forum but happened to be listening to a certain show TODAY around midday on Irish radio and had a bout of Deja Vu with jingles that sounded a near match to Moyles' jingles. Has anyone else heard them??

Heard and mentioned it about 7-8 months ago on this very forum...the intellectually challenged presenter fromn the wesht in question hasn't an original bone in this body. But we're not allowed to talk about that...

• Advertisement

the intellectually challenged presenter fromn the wesht in question hasn't an original bone in this body. But we're not allowed to talk about that

With all this talk about sheepish DJ's on this side of the Irish sea, perhaps the Irish guys should take a lesson out of Moyles book and just laugh it off on air, and not take things so seriously..you know who I'm on about!

Perhaps 8million listeners and a 600+k salary eases the pain of any cruel comments:D

With all this talk about sheepish DJ's on this side of the Irish sea, perhaps the Irish guys should take a lesson out of Moyles book and just laugh it off on air, and not take things so seriously..you know who I'm on about!

Perhaps 8million listeners and a 600+k salary eases the pain of any cruel comments:D

The shock jock lite edition that Moyle's doles out wouldn't work over here...far too many people to upset, too much advertising revenue to loose and too much of a closed shop for anyone with talent enough to pull such a role off...pity though.

Update for ye lads, upon your advice, I said I would give Chris Moyles another listen and I will be honest I enjoyed it this morning. Much better than Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well I'm glad to hear that willsteve. That's why we have a choice (thankfully). Some days you have to change things just for the sake of it. Its good to listen to different things.

Intersting post about the Irish market not having room for a Moyles type character on Irish Radio. I disagree. In fact if certain PD's here allowed young jocks to have the freedom and expression early on in their career then maybe maybe the next moyles could come through the ranks. Its very hard to see that happening in the current market because most stations all sound the same. The 18-34 bracket radio station should be at the pinnicle of new talent but unforunately I haven't heard much freedom of late on said stations with the exception of KC on Red.

Willstev, thats great to hear...he sure makes better listening than Johnny Yawn and co:D

On the point of a Moyles type character being bad for advertising revenue here,I wouldent be so sure. The 15-34 demographic is calling out for decent radio in the morning, something I don't think we have seen since Tubridy had the 2fm brekkie show.

Most people seem to see through the nonsense peddled by the so-called youth stations, eg ,the 2 on Spin in the morning, and the 98fm morning "crew"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hate Irish morning radio.

Years ago, a Pirate in Dublin used to broadcast BBCR1 before they went live in the afternoons, and the first time I ever heard Moyles was when he used to fill in for Zoe Ball on the breakfast show, and later Sara Cox.

I love the man.

So I bought an Internet Radio. Now, he wakes me at 6.30, I go out at seven and flick between Morning Ireland and NewsTalk (more MI though lately, Byrne is starting to irritate me as much as Colm and DimJim), get to work for between 8.15 and 8.30, and go straight to RealPlayer for the rest of Moyles.

Car-Park Catchphrase is back, which is very funny, as is Rob DJ:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 RADIODUDE

the people who do the jingles for chiris moyles are the same people who do the jingles for that show on TODAY FM
    they are called music4 type them into google and you will get their website which you can hear all their jingles on
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BWood

im an avid fan of him and scott mills the drivetime presenter on bbc radio 1 i used to live over there and used to listen to moyles and mills and i think irish radio is crying for a presenter / show like them

they are called music4 type them into google and you will get their website

Thanks for the tip radiodude, certainly looks like a jazzy little company to work for. Surprised to see that even WLR FM have used music4 for their station idents.

Thought their little blurb on the music4 site about that Today fm show was quite interesting. Kudos to that certain Today fm show for being honest about their fondness for the Moyles jingles!
    It's no secret that (a certain mid morning show) is a fan of our Chris Moyles jingles and our brief was to create a theme and idents that captured the spirit of the Moyles jingles without being a straight copy of them.

The inspiration came from the cheesy sound of "High School Musical"

By the way, Moyles interview with Kirsty Gallagher from last week on the podcast was a great laugh from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

Wertz wrote: »
    Could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Craig Charles (Lister in Red Dwarf) hosted Robot Wars for it's entire run.

He did at least for one or two series of the show. He now presents a show on Saturday evenings 7-9 on BBC 6 music called the Funk and Soul Show which if you like that kind of thing is bloody good (the music that is not necessarily him, though he is enthusiastic).

As for getting an internet radio I would recommend if anyone does that they try BBC 6 music for decent music in the mornings and BBC 5 Live if you like a bit more news and sport.

6 Music also has Adam and Joe on Saturday mornings (Remember the Adam and Joe Show of the 90s) and Russell Howard (Mock the Week) on Sunday Mornings, all of whom are well worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

6 Music also has Adam and Joe on Saturday mornings (Remember the Adam and Joe Show of the 90s) and Russell Howard (Mock the Week) on Sunday Mornings, all of whom are well worth listening to.

Yeah Adam & Joe's show is the best thing on radio right now.

I like to take back everything I said about Chris Moyles, I am absolutely addicted now.

I am absolutely addicted now

I think I have that problem now too:D

This mornings ding dong between Moyles, Fat Sue, and 5live/Radio Ulster presenter Stephen Nolan from about 7:55 was absolutely hilarious radio...really is worth a listen:p

This mornings ding dong between Moyles, Fat Sue, and 5live/Radio Ulster presenter Stephen Nolan from about 7:55 was absolutely hilarious radio

that had me in stitches. fantastic stuff.

Oh man oh man, Pete Tong sitting in for Moyles this morning....the best breakfast show I've ever had the pleasure of listening. It was so good I left for work 20 minutes early so I could turn up the tunes in the car. Classic dance hits, some current stuff and a few handpicked numbers from the playlist, all spun in proper DJ fashion not this automated playlist robot shit.
    All part of alternative takeover day (for the UK bank holiday)...some of the other shows were great too...particulalry enjoyed Daniel P Carter doing a rock show in place of the afternoon show...not the biggest fan of rock/metal, but he managed to play some classic stuff to leave it open ended for the average listener....everything was going well until they handed Westwood a few hours playtime...

I was going to create a thread for Tongy doing brekafast but figure there's not enough interest.
    Anyone who likes their dance music would do well to listen to it on the BBC realplayer....anyone who produces Irish brekafast radio in this country would do well to listen too...just to see how it should be done...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I dont live in the UK but i download the best of moyles podcast each week, always makes me smile.

There is only 1 irish radio station for me in the mornings. 103.2fm. Live traffic news! Plus they play some great tunes in between!

Without wanting to drag this off topic, I like anna livia too when I'm working in Dublin...the traffic is brilliant (saved me a load of trouble a few times) and I'm always very impressed/surprised with their musical output. A lot of Irish stations could learn a thing or two from them IMO.

Also:
    Oh man oh man, Pete Tong sitting in for Moyles this morning....the best breakfast show I've ever had the pleasure of listening. It was so good I left for work 20 minutes early so I could turn up the tunes in the car. Classic dance hits, some current stuff and a few handpicked numbers from the playlist, all spun in proper DJ fashion not this automated playlist robot ****.
    All part of alternative takeover day (for the UK bank holiday)...some of the other shows were great too...particulalry enjoyed Daniel P Carter doing a rock show in place of the afternoon show...not the biggest fan of rock/metal, but he managed to play some classic stuff to leave it open ended for the average listener....everything was going well until they handed Westwood a few hours playtime...

I was going to create a thread for Tongy doing brekafast but figure there's not enough interest.
    Anyone who likes their dance music would do well to listen to it on the BBC realplayer....anyone who produces Irish brekafast radio in this country would do well to listen too...just to see how it should be done...

QFE

Ok so the Chris Moyles show is going on a break for 2 weeks, to which I am going be lost without them, jebus for the title of the thread I would have never of thought I would be so addicted to this show. Can anyone suggest to me another good early morning show to listen to in their absense?

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    Ok so the Chris Moyles show is going on a break for 2 weeks, to which I am going be lost without them, jebus for the title of the thread I would have never of thought I would be so addicted to this show. Can anyone suggest to me another good early morning show to listen to in their absense?

Scott Mills usually takes over and to be honest I really dislike Mills's show in the evenings and he's no better in the breakfast slot...but he does have his fans so you might find yourself liking the show too. Maybe try listening on Monday to see what you think but it's not my cup of tea, unfortunately there's not an awful lot out there...

Hey r3nu4l,

I heard them mention Scott was on from next week, I too am not a fan of him in the evenings. I know I am going a little crazy here but what is Wogan like in the mornings to listen to?

• Advertisement

Wogan is actually okay, he's a bit cheesy and in no way manic. His show is staid and comfortable with a bit of humour thrown in, a bit like a novelty pair of slippers. :)

He can be a bit annoying but if you're looking for a gentle introduction to your day you could do worse :D

I'm not sure about BBC Radio 6...I've never listened in the morning.

Can't stand Mills morning, noon or night (although some of the afternoon show's contents can be funny as hell at times)....almost as bad as Nihal, who is attrocious, but I'll still listent to the breakfast show when Scott is doing it if only for the lack of anything else...

Ok so the Chris Moyles show is going on a break for 2 weeks, to which I am going be lost without them

Maybe give the www.chrismoyles.net site a go. It has hundreds of hours of old material in the download area to keep you busy!

One of my favourite sketches is here:

http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1532&idP

or, for a bit of paddywhackery mixed in:
    http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1559&idP=

Enjoy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Why are people not allowed to talk about a certain lunchtime presenter but continue talking about others?

Has he made a complaint against boards or something?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Kraggy, if you have a query about the charter or moderation in this forum, please PM one of the moderators rather than posting on thread.

kraggy wrote: »
    Why are people not allowed to talk about a certain lunchtime presenter but continue talking about others?

Has he made a complaint against boards or something?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948362

A feedback thread of what transpired to lead us to this point. Well worth a read...funnier than anything you'll hear on the actual show in question...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Final warning. Please keep the thread on topic. Thank you.

For the record I listened to Scott this morning for 40 mins on the way to work...he ties to stay away from the feel of his afternoon show and to be more in keeping with Moyles' style but it's lacking something IMO. There's better than him for filling in on such a popular show, but it's sort of tradition now.
    I do like that they change the jingles to suit the fact that Moyles is gone on holiday etc...if it's one thing that bugs me it's jingles for some DJ's show, that they're not even hosting that week...

Advertisement