Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Mini: 0-60 in 4 Seconds

Options
  • 28-04-2008 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Now this looks like fun:-

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_hybrid_mini.php

"Each wheel develops 160bhp - 640bhp in total"

It says in the article that they got rid of the regular disk brakes cause of the good regenerative braking... I didn't think that would be allowed, what happens if the motor controller fails??? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

no lose of traction like with a petrol engine , electric are more efficant... , hence this out come....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Probably got a motor controller for each motor. 50% more effective as having a split circuit brake system imo.

Seriously impressive engineering tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Very impressive.
    How long before we see this as a viable alternative?

on a side note:
    Isn't it illegal to leave a car with the engine running? I wonder if the ICE recharging engine would fall into that category?

Don't think its illegal considering you can get turbo timers, they keep the engine running after you leave the car to let the turbo cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Ferris wrote: »
    Don't think its illegal considering you can get turbo timers, they keep the engine running after you leave the car to let the turbo cool down.

Just because you can get them, dosen't make turbo timers legal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

turbo timers are perfectly legal , they rae used to keep the turbo spooling , but gradually slow it down. stops it from killing itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Very impressive.
    How long before we see this as a viable alternative?
    These guys are using the same motors - http://www.lightningcarcompany.com/home.php
    gallery-new-08.jpg

Appearently taking orders for 2009 delivery.... £15,000 deposit required.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

S.I.R wrote: »
    turbo timers are perfectly legal , they rae used to keep the turbo spooling , but gradually slow it down. stops it from killing itself.
    AFAIK, turbo timers just keep the engine running so that oil is circulated through the turbos rather than being left there to cook. The turbos themselves don't operate.

+1 Correct.

Most turbos 'float' on an oil seal which is under pressure. if there is no oil pressure then the turbine shart is in contact with the housing/oil seal face which isn't the best.

Also they don't like being left roasting hot and dry of oil, thats where the turbo timer comes in. It keeps the oil pressure up by keeping the engine running while the turbo cools down.

On my diesel I just take it handy after startup and in the couple of minutes before I arrive home.

Advertisement